+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Port of entry from US

LP2020

Jul 6, 2020
Has any eligible non-us citizen applied for their work permit at the canadian port of entry (arriving from the US). Have you been successful? I understand you must travel from the US and have resided there for 15 days. My fiancé is British and has a job offer in Canada so he fulfills that requirement.

thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Has any eligible non-us citizen applied for their work permit at the canadian port of entry (arriving from the US). Have you been successful? I understand you must travel from the US and have resided there for 15 days. My fiancé is British and has a job offer in Canada so he fulfills that requirement.

thanks!
We've seen a few Americans get lucky.

The official communication from CBSA is that work permit applications are not being accepted at the border for anyone due to COVID-19 and that everyone must obtain a work permit online ahead of traveling to Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

thanks!
Also keep in mind that with current travel restrictions, I'm not sure your fiance will be allowed to fly to the U.S. unless he falls under an exemption.

Additionally, I'm assuming your fiance either has an approved LMIA or is LMIA exempt.

LP2020

Jul 6, 2020
Also keep in mind that with current travel restrictions, I'm not sure your fiance will be allowed to fly to the U.S. unless he falls under an exemption.

Additionally, I'm assuming your fiance either has an approved LMIA or is LMIA exempt.

COVID-19: Most people can’t apply at the port of entry
Most people can’t apply for a work permit or give their biometrics at a Canadian port of entry right now due to travel restrictions.

You can only apply at the port of entry if you meet all of these conditions:

LP2020

Jul 6, 2020

He is allowed to fly to this US and we will be reaching out on the LMIA.

I would honestly just like to know if anyone had experience doing this. I am aware of all requirements.

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
COVID-19: Most people can’t apply at the port of entry
Most people can’t apply for a work permit or give their biometrics at a Canadian port of entry right now due to travel restrictions.

You can only apply at the port of entry if you meet all of these conditions:
Ah - OK. Looks like they adjusted the rules. So the only issue would be getting to the U.S.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
He is allowed to fly to this US and we will be reaching out on the LMIA.

I would honestly just like to know if anyone had experience doing this. I am aware of all requirements.
Sounds like you're almost all set in that case.

The LMIA is an important piece. Definitely check on that before any travel.

Recommend you read through the posts in the Foreign Workers section of the forum for recent experiences.

ajaybhattnagar

Aug 4, 2020
Hello,
I think I am in the same situation. I got my LMIA approved a few weeks back and I am planning to get my WP from PoE as the online application would take more than 4 months. (applying from US).
I am new to this as well so, If you have any tips or advice please let me know.

Also, what would you recommend online application or PoE?

LP2020

Jul 6, 2020
Hello,
I think I am in the same situation. I got my LMIA approved a few weeks back and I am planning to get my WP from PoE as the online application would take more than 4 months. (applying from US).
I am new to this as well so, If you have any tips or advice please let me know.

Also, what would you recommend online application or PoE?
POE seems to be your fastest route if you have an approved LMIA. Once you have documentation that you’ve been in the US for more than 14 days, I believe you should be good to go. I’ve read on other forums that persons tried and were successful. I’d recommend doing loads of research to ensure you have all the docs required. Also reach out to your employer to ensure everything is completed on his end (I’m not certain what else needs to be done). I even read that an officer asked for a resume, certificates , proof of competence basically. Not sure if that was a unique situation. But it’s best to have loads of proof than lacking.

ajaybhattnagar

Aug 4, 2020
POE seems to be your fastest route if you have an approved LMIA. Once you have documentation that you’ve been in the US for more than 14 days, I believe you should be good to go. I’ve read on other forums that persons tried and were successful. I’d recommend doing loads of research to ensure you have all the docs required. Also reach out to your employer to ensure everything is completed on his end (I’m not certain what else needs to be done). I even read that an officer asked for a resume, certificates , proof of competence basically. Not sure if that was a unique situation. But it’s best to have loads of proof than lacking.
I think I have all the documentation but I am also going to research and make sure I have the non-obvious documents as well.
And thank you for the reply.

daytripper

Aug 19, 2020
Hi, I am in the same boat. Can someone update if you were able to obtain work permit at poe?

I am Korean, will fly from US to Canada with ETA. I have a joboffer that is Lmia exempt.

LP2020

Jul 6, 2020
Hi, I am in the same boat. Can someone update if you were able to obtain work permit at poe?

I am Korean, will fly from US to Canada with ETA. I have a joboffer that is Lmia exempt.
If you are willing to wait like 2 weeks, I can update you....

daytripper

Aug 19, 2020
was
If you are willing to wait like 2 weeks, I can update you....
Thanks. It seems like we might be attempting to enter around the same time. A bit frustrating as I can’t find detailed info on cases like this. good luck with your prep.

ajaybhattnagar

Aug 4, 2020
Hello,

I tried getting my WP at the Queenston bridge. Unfortunately, I was denied and handed a white sheet with R41(D) section marked.
I am not exactly sure why I was denied but might because of 2 reasons.
1. Covid - 19
2. I hold an Indian Passport.
Covid cannot be a solid reason because I have work for an essential business and I had a letter from my employer.

Anyhow, If either of you are trying to get it done at a PoE. Go to any other bridge apart from Queenston.

I also wanted to put this out. A girl who came right after I parked at the PoE, had an approved work permit notice with a bar-code on it but was still denied entry.

Thank you and I hope this helps a little bit.