+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Port of entry from US

daytripper

Aug 19, 2020
hi yes it was successful, but it was risky. I made the trek with my husband after spending 2 nights in NY. However the immigration officer was difficult and said that he should only get his work permit if he is an “essential” worker which is not the case as per the Canada.ca guidance. She went to other officers who clearly said that he can get it. She came back to us and said he’s only getting it as he’s my husband and would be in Canada regardless. The discretion lies with the officers, who are sometimes ignorant so it is still quite a risk.
Thanks so much. I am eligible and have all the documents ready, but you are right that officers have the ultimate say. Can't wait longer but keeping fingers crossed.. btw, around what time did you arrive in Canada? My flight got delayed and I arrive after 6pm; worrying I might have to spend the night in the airport waiting.

Last edited:

mcky

Dec 27, 2019
hi yes it was successful, but it was risky. I made the trek with my husband after spending 2 nights in NY. However the immigration officer was difficult and said that he should only get his work permit if he is an “essential” worker which is not the case as per the Canada.ca guidance. She went to other officers who clearly said that he can get it. She came back to us and said he’s only getting it as he’s my husband and would be in Canada regardless. The discretion lies with the officers, who are sometimes ignorant so it is still quite a risk.
Hi LP2020, can you share more your experience? May I know what document you have to provide at US Canada border to get your work permit? and which border you went?

thursd

Apr 12, 2020
Quick question - can you go to a POE and apply for a WP even if you have submitted your application and biometrics online? I meet all requirements for a POE application but I applied online back in June. Today I heard from a friend that their friend applied for a WP at POE and got approved without problem and so I was wondering if that's even possible. Has anyone experienced or heard anyone who has done so?

FYI, he's the same NOC code as me, same type of WP, same nationality, and same destination (but he didn't apply online before he went to a POE - I think Toronto airport).