+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police verification for USA

Test_name@1

Dec 31, 2017
Hi,

My spouse has lived in the US for more than a year now and hence she would need to get a Police verification certificate, as per the documents required for submitting a Canada PR application.

While we recently applied for this, the FBI website had the below mentioned message on the website:
'Current processing time is 14-16 weeks. Allow additional time for mail delivery'

Not sure if it really takes 16 weeks but considering the worst case, I'm worried.

Police verification process for other countries usually takes no longer than 2 weeks, but this one came in as a surprise.

My concern is, since we are only given a 90 day deadline to apply for our permanent residence from the time we receive our invitation, we might not get the police verification certificate on time.

Has anyone faced such a situation in the past? Would greatly appreciate if you could please suggest some valid recommendations.

Thank you,

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,

My spouse has lived in the US for more than a year now and hence she would need to get a Police verification certificate, as per the documents required for submitting a Canada PR application.

While we recently applied for this, the FBI website had the below mentioned message on the website:
'Current processing time is 14-16 weeks. Allow additional time for mail delivery'

Not sure if it really takes 16 weeks but considering the worst case, I'm worried.

Police verification process for other countries usually takes no longer than 2 weeks, but this one came in as a surprise.

My concern is, since we are only given a 90 day deadline to apply for our permanent residence from the time we receive our invitation, we might not get the police verification certificate on time.

Has anyone faced such a situation in the past? Would greatly appreciate if you could please suggest some valid recommendations.

Thank you,
Hi

The processing time is pretty accurate. If it doesn't arrive in time, you can submit your app with a letter of explanation and proof that you have applied. IRCC may or may not accept that.

Test_name@1

Dec 31, 2017
Hi,

Thanks very much for your prompt response.
Just wanted to make sure that I got that correctly
When you say the timing is accurate, do you mean that it might take about 16 weeks or are you saying that chances of getting it earlier is much higher (and 16 weeks is just the textbook norm)?

Also, would you know of any such cases in the past and how long it took for them...

Just wanted to ensure I got it right. A brief response would be very helpful.

Thanks again

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,

Thanks very much for your prompt response.
Just wanted to make sure that I got that correctly
When you say the timing is accurate, do you mean that it might take about 16 weeks or are you saying that chances of getting it earlier is much higher (and 16 weeks is just the textbook norm)?

Also, would you know of any such cases in the past and how long it took for them...

Just wanted to ensure I got it right. A brief response would be very helpful.

Thanks again
The 16 weeks is accurate. Expect it to take that long.

Test_name@1

Dec 31, 2017
Ok, thank you. However, I forget to mention something. She still lives and works in the US and she has applied for the police verification for US from the US. Could that make a difference in getting it any earlier at all?

Sorry to bother you.

Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Ok, thank you. However, I forget to mention something. She still lives and works in the US and she has applied for the police verification for US from the US. Could that make a difference in getting it any earlier at all?

Sorry to bother you.

Thanks
No difference.

Pensivebeetle

Jan 31, 2018
Hi, we have a similar situation. Just one question.. did ur wife fill out application from fbi website and attached finger print card or is there any other way to submit finger prints?

jordo

Apr 27, 2014
Regina, SK

Sorry to bother you.

Thanks
The only short cut to the 14-16 week processing time is that US citizens or US permanent residents can use a 3rd party "channeler" which provides a much faster turnaround time. Unfortunately, non US citizens or US PRs have to use the longer process.

Test_name@1

Dec 31, 2017
That quite seems to be the only option. Or if you are a green card holder or citizen of the USA, then you could probably try reaching out to one of the approved FBI channelers. Its available on the same home page of the website.

I also see on the home page that there is a 'coming-soon' option called Electronic Departmental Order (eDO), but that has been there for quite sometime now. So I'm not very sure when this will be launched. If this comes through, they say that the lead time for processing could come down considerably.

CdnwifeUSwife

Star Member
Feb 5, 2018
Peterborough
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Etobicoke
App. Filed.......
21-12-2017
Doc's Request.
08-02-2018
AOR Received.
07-02-2018
Med's Request
15-06-2018
Med's Done....
29-06-2018
LANDED..........
25-10-2018
My wife applied for one and it took exactly 16 weeks.

CdnwifeUSwife

Star Member
Feb 5, 2018
Peterborough
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Etobicoke
App. Filed.......
21-12-2017
Doc's Request.
08-02-2018
AOR Received.
07-02-2018
Med's Request
15-06-2018
Med's Done....
29-06-2018
LANDED..........
25-10-2018
the eDO option is now live.
Sorry I’m new on this forums. What does eDO mean? I’ve learned the other abbreviations such as AOR, DM, etc.