+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police Record?

lovingit

Apr 3, 2007
I keep seeing certain things on here that you need to do to get your PR In Canada. So, I keep finding more questions. I'm US, getting married to Canadian. What police record do they want? FBI? State? What? lol I don't have any paper work yet, but I'd like to get this stuff together. And if FBI, how would you even go about getting such a report? Can you order it online?

Thanks guys, you are the greatest.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

lovingit said:
I keep seeing certain things on here that you need to do to get your PR In Canada. So, I keep finding more questions. I'm US, getting married to Canadian. What police record do they want? FBI? State? What? lol I don't have any paper work yet, but I'd like to get this stuff together. And if FBI, how would you even go about getting such a report? Can you order it online?

Thanks guys, you are the greatest.
1. Start your reading at www.cic.gc.ca look at : http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/index.asp you will probably need one from every state that where you have resided for more than 6 months. Note can't be older than 3 months, takes 2/3 month to get unless you request with a deadline on the envelope.

PMM

Feeling Lost

Jul 21, 2007
As a US Citizen the official format is 10print fingerprint cards (many states no longer use physical cards, but use imaging software to electronically submit prints).

You can look in the yellow pages under fingerprinting, notaries or passport services. Get printed for as many cards as you need (as mentioned above you will need prints for every state you've lived in for more than six months, plus two sets of prints for the FBI.) Typically they charge about $10.00 per set of prints, although this will vary depending on where you live.

Once you have the prints, include a letter stating the purpose of your request and usually in 10 to 12 weeks you'll get your reply. Repeat as necessary until you have responses from each state and a response from the FBI.

Photocopy EVERYTHING before you send it away.

npierce

Jun 25, 2007
So just to clarify, you need a background check from the FBI and every state you have lived in? All I would do is send fingerprints and the letter?

npierce

Jun 25, 2007
How would you state what you need in the letter..? That you needed a background criminal check because you are applying for permanant residency in Canada? It's called a police certificate by Canada immigration but it's called something different in the U.S., isn't it??

Feeling Lost

Jul 21, 2007
npierce said:
So just to clarify, you need a background check from the FBI and every state you have lived in? All I would do is send fingerprints and the letter?
...and whatever payment is required. If you want them to send the response other than first class mail you should also include a prepaid with sufficient postage - such as express mail - envelope for return.

npierce said:
How would you state what you need in the letter..? That you needed a background criminal check because you are applying for permanant residency in Canada? It's called a police certificate by Canada immigration but it's called something different in the U.S., isn't it??
Personally, I wrote a standard business format letter giving my name, stating I was going through the process of applying for permanent residency, requesting the criminal background check and my contact information.

I did the same for the FBI. However I saw this linked in another post on this forum http://www.fbi.gov/filelink.html?file=/hq/cjisd/cover_letter.pdf which just takes filling in the blanks.

You are correct, Police certificate is what it's called by Canadian Immigration. Criminal History Background Check is what it's called in the US.

npierce

Jun 25, 2007
Maybe this is a dumb question, but besides paying for the fingerprints, do you have the pay for the criminal background check too? If so, how much is it?

npierce

Jun 25, 2007
http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/fprequest.htm

For those of you in the U.S., here is the link to the FBI information for how to request a copy of your criminal record...