+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

police criminal check inside canada

mikeandem

Jan 8, 2010
so do i need to get a criminal check to send off with my application i am from england and am applying for perminant residence visa inside canada. would it hurt to get one anyway even if i dont need it straight away! thanks

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The UK police check is only valid for three months, you can order it while you are in Canada, but you will need to pay for it with a UK cheque - they do not take credit cards.

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
You are aware, I hope, that you don't have to apply via the inland process - even though you are in Canada during processing. Your ability to remain in Canada is dependent on your keeping your temporary status valid - that is separate from your application for permanent residence. You can apply outland - which is faster and preserves your right to appeal a refusal - even while staying in Canada. The only drawback would be if an interview was required - you'd have to go to the overseas embassy to attend. But if you provide sufficient evidence of your "genuine relationship", you can normally avoid the need for an interview to verify that you are not just in the relationship in order to get into Canada.

As far as the police checks - you are required to submit, with your application, certification that you have no criminal offences in any country in which you've resided (except Canada) for more than 6 months since turning 18 years of age. This is a requirement whether you submit an inland or outland application - and not submitting the clearance(s) with the application will delay processing. As far as Canada and the RCMP check - CIC will do a "name check" on all applicants residing in Canada and will only require a fingerprint clearance if the name check produces a "hit". So you're not required to submit an RCMP clearance with your application, even if you have been in Canada for more than 6 months.