+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

police clearance

samy walky

Nov 22, 2017
i have a question please: i landed on march 2014 and then i left to live outside for 9 months in gulf and before leaving from there i got a police clearance with me which is issued at 8th of november 2014 and i came to canada on 14th of December 2014 for good, can i still use this police clearance to apply for my citizenship? as i want to apply in December for my citizenship, if No and if i dont want to issue a new one i need to complete 4 years of 3 years and 6 months to avoid applying a new police clearance?

samoo

Jun 9, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
issued
Should be 3years in recent 5 years. Otherwise you have to submit p.c. I’m not sure if it valied or not

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
i have a question please: i landed on march 2014 and then i left to live outside for 9 months in gulf and before leaving from there i got a police clearance with me which is issued at 8th of november 2014 and i came to canada on 14th of December 2014 for good, can i still use this police clearance to apply for my citizenship? as i want to apply in December for my citizenship, if No and if i dont want to issue a new one i need to complete 4 years of 3 years and 6 months to avoid applying a new police clearance?
- Count the days in that country in the last four years. If it's more than 183, you need a PCC. You have to do the calculations yourself to confirm your "waiting time" to avoid getting the PCC. Simply wait until you have less than 183 days in that country in the last four years.

- Your current PCC won't work since you seem to have lived in that country AFTER november 8 for another month. The PCC would not cover that period of time and therefore can't be used.

samy walky

Nov 22, 2017
Thank you so much very clear but only to be more specific if i want to apply with my Police clearance i issued it on 8-11-2014 and i left this country on 18th-11-2014 so i stayed nkt even 10 dayseas than a month still you think might not be valid to apply with it?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I basically concur in the observations by spyfy except I would couch those observations less definitively, more in terms of probabilities and risks.

For example, for this statement:
Your current PCC won't work since you seem to have lived in that country AFTER november 8 for another month. The PCC would not cover that period of time and therefore can't be used.
I would phrase this less definitively, stating that there is a likelihood the certificate will not suffice because you have been in that country since it was issued. The overall age of the certificate MIGHT also be a factor tending to make it unsuitable.

My guess is that it could be used and would be sufficient to get past the completeness check. Beyond that, however, how the processing agent assessing your application will handle this is largely a guess . . . I lean towards the position offered by spyfy but again NOT so definitively. Personally I might worry that a stranger bureaucrat might read more into how stale the certificate is than is warranted, triggering unnecessary suspicions.

If, however, you are in a rush to apply, and particularly if obtaining a more current certificate would take a lot longer than you want to wait, you can check "yes" for item 10.b, and submit this certificate and check the corresponding box in the checklist, and that will probably get past the completeness check. In the meantime you could go about the process of obtaining a more current certificate, and when you obtain that, then submit it as such. Or bring it to the interview.

There is a significant chance, however, you could get a notice or request to submit a more current certificate in the meantime.

Or you could submit it, and then wait to see how it goes. There is some chance it will suffice. We do not know to what extent IRCC is going to be flexible about this, if at all. Since there is no requirement for police certificates specified by statute or regulation, IRCC has wide, wide discretion in how flexible they can be about this. Current PDI information about police certificates is predominantly relevant for visa applications, not citizenship applications.

It will probably take many more months, if not a year or two, to get enough anecdotal reports to formulate a good sense for how IRCC is going to handle some of the nuances and variable scenarios related to this issue. While this has been around since June 2015, it was when the 3/5 rules took effect that the number of applicants with somewhat borderline or odd scenarios began applying, so it is going to take some time to see what participants here report about how it goes in their particular situations.