+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police Clearance from US

joannagat

Jul 21, 2021
Hello there, I am a US citizen and I've been here in Alberta for about 5 months now. I haven't gotten my police clearance from the US yet so I can't finalize my application for permanent residency (via inland spousal sponsorship). My question is, can I submit my PR app without the police clearance and provide a letter of explanation? That's the only thing that hurdles me from submitting my application and it's almost 6 months now. I am only supposed to stay here for 6 months. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Selinaria

Oct 16, 2023
I feel like the police clearance varies wildly based on their case load in the US. I know my fiancee had hers in roughly 1 months from the FBI so hopefully yours comes in soon.

As to your time in Canada you can look into extending your stay. An application for a visitor record to extend your stay as a visitor is definitely an option. They generally suggest putting in that application one month before the listed date on your passport or other travel doc for when you must be out. That doesn't seem to be a hard requirement from other people's experiences. Once you have the application into the government you can remain in Canada on "implied status" until they give you an answer to your application one way or another.

Best of luck!

Aug 3, 2023
Hello there, I am a US citizen and I've been here in Alberta for about 5 months now. I haven't gotten my police clearance from the US yet so I can't finalize my application for permanent residency (via inland spousal sponsorship). My question is, can I submit my PR app without the police clearance and provide a letter of explanation? That's the only thing that hurdles me from submitting my application and it's almost 6 months now. I am only supposed to stay here for 6 months. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
hello,

my American husband had to get his finger prints from the FBI earlier this year. For him, he applied to the FBI online for them, and paid online. He then made an appointment for a local Canadian police department to take the actual fingerprints on the template provided on the FBI site. He then mailed that template to the FBI - bc he had applied & paid online, it counted as an online request & was quicker to process than if it had all been all been through the mail (application/payment

joannagat

Jul 21, 2021
hello,

my American husband had to get his finger prints from the FBI earlier this year. For him, he applied to the FBI online for them, and paid online. He then made an appointment for a local Canadian police department to take the actual fingerprints on the template provided on the FBI site. He then mailed that template to the FBI - bc he had applied & paid online, it counted as an online request & was quicker to process than if it had all been all been through the mail (application/payment

Thank you for your response! How long did you have to wait for the results to come? Was it online? Also, did he provide address in Canada as your resident? Thank you!

joannagat

Jul 21, 2021
I feel like the police clearance varies wildly based on their case load in the US. I know my fiancee had hers in roughly 1 months from the FBI so hopefully yours comes in soon.

As to your time in Canada you can look into extending your stay. An application for a visitor record to extend your stay as a visitor is definitely an option. They generally suggest putting in that application one month before the listed date on your passport or other travel doc for when you must be out. That doesn't seem to be a hard requirement from other people's experiences. Once you have the application into the government you can remain in Canada on "implied status" until they give you an answer to your application one way or another.

Best of luck!

Thank you so much for your response! I will look into that and see where I can find the application form. If you have any idea, I would gladly appreciate it. Thanks so much!

Aug 3, 2023
Thank you for your response! How long did you have to wait for the results to come? Was it online? Also, did he provide address in Canada as your resident? Thank you!
Hello,

his results came back within 3 weeks of mailing in his prints (after paying fee online & submitting request online) - his results came via email, a hard copy came in the mail a week or so afterwards.

he provided his mailing address as Canada, as he has a TRV and applied for PR as inland.

Edmegbc

Star Member
Oct 11, 2023
My husband got his back doing from the uk in about 3 weeks, got his results by email. Was quicker than his uk PCC

whenhaveiever

Dec 15, 2023
Are you able to visit the US and return to Canada? I'm living in BC but got my FBI check done in Washington with turnaround less than 24 hours back in June.

ATolji

Dec 19, 2023
Category........
CEC
Hello,

his results came back within 3 weeks of mailing in his prints (after paying fee online & submitting request online) - his results came via email, a hard copy came in the mail a week or so afterwards.

he provided his mailing address as Canada, as he has a TRV and applied for PR as inland.
when you mailed it from Canada, was it delivered directly to the building or dropped off at a local post office?