03-03-16
Med's Done....
13-01-16
Passport Req..
08-05-16
VISA ISSUED...
26-05-16
Hi guys.

I am still a year away from submitting my citizenship application, however I wanted to clarify something beforehand so I can arrange relevant documents in time. Along with citizenship application, we have to submit PCC for the past 4 years. Whilst 3 years would come through RCMP assuming someone applies for citizenship right after completion of 1095 days, my question is with respect to PCC for the 4th preceding year:

1- My 4th year was in UAE. As a part of my PR application, I provided UAE PCC. Can I use same PCC (I still have original PCC)?
2- If I can't use UAE PCC provided as a part of PR application, can I apply for UAE PCC , say after 6 months from now - as this might take few months to receive - as citizenship application form does not prescribe any validity period (e.g. valid for 3 months or 6 months at the time of issuance of such PCC)
3- Also thinking if 4 year PCC requirement is an old requirement when 4 year eligibility was in place and thus application form has to be updated?

Thank you and good luck to all those who are in the pipeline :)

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
Hi guys.

I am still a year away from submitting my citizenship application, however I wanted to clarify something beforehand so I can arrange relevant documents in time. Along with citizenship application, we have to submit PCC for the past 4 years. Whilst 3 years would come through RCMP assuming someone applies for citizenship right after completion of 1095 days, my question is with respect to PCC for the 4th preceding year:

1- My 4th year was in UAE. As a part of my PR application, I provided UAE PCC. Can I use same PCC (I still have original PCC)?
2- If I can't use UAE PCC provided as a part of PR application, can I apply for UAE PCC , say after 6 months from now - as this might take few months to receive - as citizenship application form does not prescribe any validity period (e.g. valid for 3 months or 6 months at the time of issuance of such PCC)
3- Also thinking if 4 year PCC requirement is an old requirement when 4 year eligibility was in place and thus application form has to be updated?

Thank you and good luck to all those who are in the pipeline :)
"For countries in which the applicant no longer lives, the police certificate must have been issued after the last time the client lived in that country."
(from https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/applications-received-on-after-january-1-2016-completeness-check.html#s07 -- which is not a policy specifically for citizenship, but is the first bit of relevant policy I could find. I expect the same rule will apply for citizenship applications.)

So IRCC will want a PCC that has been issued after (or from at the end of) your last stay in the country from which it is issued. I expect you lived in the UAE for quite some time since that PCC was issued (because of the PR application processing time), so they will want a more recent PCC.

It must be issued after you most recently (during your eligibility period) visited UAE, and you will then have to submit your application before you visit UAE again.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
In addition to what @btbt posted:

No.

The four year PCC requirement is based on the relevant period of time prescribed in the prohibition provisions and has nothing to do with the presence requirement. See section 22(3)(a) in the Citizenship Act. http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-29/page-7.html#h-8

In particular, a criminal conviction abroad during the four years prior to applying for citizenship will prohibit eligibility for a grant of citizenship. The PCC is required proof the applicant has no such convictions in a country in which the applicant has spent a significant amount of time (more than a total of 183 days during the relevant time period).

adey786

Jun 29, 2010
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
05-01-16
Doc's Request.
13-01-16
Nomination.....
08-12-15
AOR Received.
05-01-16
File Transfer...
03-03-16
Med's Done....
13-01-16
Passport Req..
08-05-16
VISA ISSUED...
26-05-16
Thank you dpenabill and btbt.

Another question regarding following comment "So IRCC will want a PCC that has been issued after (or from at the end of) your last stay in the country from which it is issued. I expect you lived in the UAE for quite some time since that PCC was issued (because of the PR application processing time), so they will want a more recent PCC." , i couldn't find out any stipulated timeframes in terms of validity of foreign PCC . So, shall i request UAE PCC now or 6 months before application as it doesn't matter (nothing stated in application form) if foreign PCC was valid at the time of submission of citizenship application. I haven't travelled outside Canada and don't want to travel until completion of eligibility period so receiving foreign PCC through consulate route takes as much as 3 to 6 months. Hence, curious if i should start the process sooner.

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
Thank you dpenabill and btbt.

Another question regarding following comment "So IRCC will want a PCC that has been issued after (or from at the end of) your last stay in the country from which it is issued. I expect you lived in the UAE for quite some time since that PCC was issued (because of the PR application processing time), so they will want a more recent PCC." , i couldn't find out any stipulated timeframes in terms of validity of foreign PCC . So, shall i request UAE PCC now or 6 months before application as it doesn't matter (nothing stated in application form) if foreign PCC was valid at the time of submission of citizenship application. I haven't travelled outside Canada and don't want to travel until completion of eligibility period so receiving foreign PCC through consulate route takes as much as 3 to 6 months. Hence, curious if i should start the process sooner.
If you know for certain you will not go to the UAE before you'll submit your application for citizenship, you can request the PCC now. The PCC will be considered valid as long as you do not travel to the UAE after receiving it (and before submitting the application; once you've submitted the application you may travel there again).

There is one other consideration: may you need to travel to the UAE if there's a family emergency? If the chance of that is small you can request the PCC now, and just submit another request should that happen.

Reactions: dpenabill

adey786

Jun 29, 2010
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
05-01-16
Doc's Request.
13-01-16
Nomination.....
08-12-15
AOR Received.
05-01-16
File Transfer...
03-03-16
Med's Done....
13-01-16
Passport Req..
08-05-16
VISA ISSUED...
26-05-16
If you know for certain you will not go to the UAE before you'll submit your application for citizenship, you can request the PCC now. The PCC will be considered valid as long as you do not travel to the UAE after receiving it (and before submitting the application; once you've submitted the application you may travel there again).

There is one other consideration: may you need to travel to the UAE if there's a family emergency? If the chance of that is small you can request the PCC now, and just submit another request should that happen.
Thanks again. Got it. I was an expat in UAE and therefore there is no way I am going back to UAE anytime soon. I neither intend to travel to my home country unless theres an emergency so I should be good as far as UAE PCC is concerned.