+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police Clearance Certificates (special case?)

cecapp14

Star Member
May 7, 2014
Hi all,

I have a doubt which may be silly though. I have lived in a country other than Canada and my country of birth for one year and half.
According to the CEC requirements I should submit the PCC for each country where I lived for six consecutive months. Since when I was living there I used to come back to my country every three months for two weeks, does in your opinion this 1 year and half period be considered as consecutive? Or it is like I have several three consecutive months and hence the requirement will not apply?

In doubt I have already submitted the request for the certificates to the embassy here in Canada but I believe will take months to have a reply, if I will get eventually one. Along with my application I am planning to:

• include a letter explaining that I have already required the certificates and that I do not know how long will take to have a reply (is it needed I attach copies of my request? e.g. cover letter, scanned fingerprint form etc.?)
• specifying in the letter the matter of the three months and two weeks, which is also verifiable from the IMM556. Just to make it more evident.

does it worth that together with the letter I attach the copy of the passport pages showing the IN and OUT stamps from the country?

Thanks for helping

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
cecapp14 said:
I have lived in a country other than Canada and my country of birth for one year and half.
According to the CEC requirements I should submit the PCC for each country where I lived for six consecutive months. Since when I was living there I used to come back to my country every three months for two weeks, does in your opinion this 1 year and half period be considered as consecutive?

It sounds like your main residence for that 1 1/2 years was the other country. Did you have a residence or work permit for that country? In any case, I would say yes, you need the PCC.

• include a letter explaining that I have already required the certificates and that I do not know how long will take to have a reply (is it needed I attach copies of my request? e.g. cover letter, scanned fingerprint form etc.?)
• specifying in the letter the matter of the three months and two weeks, which is also verifiable from the IMM556. Just to make it more evident.
does it worth that together with the letter I attach the copy of the passport pages showing the IN and OUT stamps from the country?

It sounds like you are worried that you may not be able to obtain the PCC for this country. That does sometimes happen, but without knowing the country, there's not we can offer. But keep a record of all your efforts to obtain the PCC, document everything, just in case...

ljiljka007

Jan 3, 2013
Mississauga, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-05-2014
Doc's Request.
sent PCC for spouse on Oct 20, without request
AOR Received.
06/24/2014
IELTS Request
with application
Med's Request
17-06-2015
Med's Done....
08-07-2015
Passport Req..
30-07-2015
LANDED..........
17-08-2015
Jes, what about spouse? My spouse spent 2 years in Hungary in Europe, on work permit.. Do we need to apply for PCC from that country too? We sent one from our home country with the application.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
ljiljka007 said:
Jes, what about spouse? My spouse spent 2 years in Hungary in Europe, on work permit.. Do we need to apply for PCC from that country too? We sent one from our home country with the application.
Yes, the rules for PCCs apply to spouses and anyone else on the application over the age of 18. So yes, assuming your spouse was 18 years or older when in Hungary, he/she will need to get the PCC from Hungary...
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/infORmation/security/police-cert/intro.asp

http://www.mfa.gov.hu/kulkepviselet/CA/en/en_Konzuliinfo/Application+for+Police+Clearance+Certificate.htm

ljiljka007

Jan 3, 2013
Mississauga, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-05-2014
Doc's Request.
sent PCC for spouse on Oct 20, without request
AOR Received.
06/24/2014
IELTS Request
with application
Med's Request
17-06-2015
Med's Done....
08-07-2015
Passport Req..
30-07-2015
LANDED..........
17-08-2015
jes_ON said:
Yes, the rules for PCCs apply to spouses and anyone else on the application over the age of 18. So yes, assuming your spouse was 18 years or older when in Hungary, he/she will need to get the PCC from Hungary...
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/infORmation/security/police-cert/intro.asp

http://www.mfa.gov.hu/kulkepviselet/CA/en/en_Konzuliinfo/Application+for+Police+Clearance+Certificate.htm
Thanks.

You know what drives me crazy. When I read and printed that document checklist that we need to send with application, under PCC it says just "you must get PCC ..". They don't mention spouse at all, anywhere. I applied for his PCC from back home just in case we need it later, and sent it with mine even though I didn't know they need his too. And now we have to go to hungarian consulate and stuff. Not saying that he had issues back then, and that getting it would be a problem but still. If you follow their checklist it doesn't say anywhere..

cecapp14

Star Member
May 7, 2014
Yes I was working there as a worker under work permit and I am indicating the same in form 5669. I was hoping that the intervals away from the country could avoid the need of PCCs.
My main concern is when I will get the certificates delivered since it seems that the timing is about 3-6 months.

In your opinion should I keep the records of the request with me and provide only if asked for or is better to submit to show I was proactive (I am prone to give prove of the request)?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
ljiljka007 said:
Thanks.

You know what drives me crazy. When I read and printed that document checklist that we need to send with application, under PCC it says just "you must get PCC ..". They don't mention spouse at all, anywhere.

Yes, others have commented about this. But it IS mentioned in the application guide. It is also mentioned on the CIC website - the link is provided in the document checklist, and you are instructed to go to that site for more information. You need to read all the information that CIC provides.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
cecapp14 said:
My main concern is when I will get the certificates delivered since it seems that the timing is about 3-6 months.

In your opinion should I keep the records of the request with me and provide only if asked for or is better to submit to show I was proactive (I am prone to give prove of the request)?
Keep the records. But you haven't even submitted your application yet, right? It is not uncommon for it to take several months to get a PCC, which is why CIC allows you to apply before you get the PCCs. When you apply, just include a statement about the fact that you have applied for the PCC and will submit it as soon as you receive it.

Keep records, tho, in case it takes VERY long, or you have other troubles, and you get to the point where CIC gives you a deadline to submit the PCC. In that case, you'll need evidence of your efforts.