+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police checks

ianmyers

Jan 7, 2009
Hi guys,

I am British and marrying a Canadian. I am currently putting together my police checks. I lived in Australia on a working holiday visa four years ago for a whole year. I realise this means i need to complete a police check from my time there. I have the form online but looking at the cic site it says the following..

How to obtain a police certificate
Australia
Do I need to provide a police certificate when applying for permanent residence?
Yes. You may also need to provide a Traffic History printout, depending on which states you lived in while in Australia.

Which Australian police clearances are acceptable?

Applicants must provide a full fingerprint and name check. Certificates can be obtained through the Australian Federal Police (recommended) or the local state police authority.

Applicants who do not reside in Australia must obtain this certificate through the Australian Federal Police.

State-issued certificates are acceptable where the certificate is based on a fingerprint and name search of the National Databases

My question is do i need to provide the Australian government with my fingerprints? If so how do I do this..
Just thought someone may have done the same..or will the canadian governemnt accept my police check without the finger prints..

Would really appreciatte any help or advice.

Thanks

ian

I

iarblue

How to obtain a police certificate
Australia
Do I need to provide a police certificate when applying for permanent residence?
Yes. You may also need to provide a Traffic History printout, depending on which states you lived in while in Australia.

Which Australian police clearances are acceptable?

Applicants must provide a full fingerprint and name check. Certificates can be obtained through the Australian Federal Police (recommended) or the local state police authority.

Applicants who do not reside in Australia must obtain this certificate through the Australian Federal Police.

State-issued certificates are acceptable where the certificate is based on a fingerprint and name search of the National Databases.

IMPORTANT AND MANDATORY: Please note that all applicants who resided or still reside in: Queensland, Victoria or Western Australia, must also submit a Traffic History printout, which may be obtained by contacting the local State Transport/Traffic branch. An immigration file number, if available, should be endorsed on the certificate.

Which Australian police clearances are not acceptable?

•Photocopies of a clearance
•Certificates issued on the basis of a name check without fingerprints
•Certificates issued on the basis of a “Complete Disclosure”
•Any certificate, if it is not accompanied by a Traffic History Report(s) if the applicant, while over 18 years of age, lived in Queensland, Victoria or Western Australia
How and where do I obtain one?

The following form is required: Australian Federal Police National Police Check (NPC) Application Form.

Applicants may obtain the form for the Australian Federal Police check at:

Criminal Records – National Police Check
Australian Federal Police
Locked Bag 8550
Canberra City ACT 2601
Australia
Telephone from Australia: (02) 6202-3333
Telephone from elsewhere: +61 2 6202-3333

IMPORTANT: When filling out the Australian Federal Police National Police Check (NPC) Application Form, enter Code Number 35 in section 1 (Purpose of NPC).

Where does the police send my police certificate?

The Australian Federal Police will send the certificate directly to the mailing address you will nominate in section 4 of the Australian Federal Police National Police Check (NPC) Application Form.

I

iarblue

Applicants must provide a full fingerprint and name check

It answers all your question right in their and how to obtain the app to apply for it.

Hope this helps

ianmyers

Jan 7, 2009
Hi thanks for your quick response.

It does say i need to provide fingerprints but I am still unsure how I can provide my fingerprints to australia to go along side the completed National Police check form..

I

iarblue

Im pretty sure you can go to a police station near you and ask if they can do fingerprints digital of you to send off to Austraila.And i seen here in another post some UPS stores also do it.
But if you go to a local police office and ask them to.Give them all the supporting docs of who you are licence,passport,birth certificate then they should be able to match the prints to your Name and then send it off with the app.

I

iarblue

You could also ask the embassy where you live if they could direct you to a place to get them done they might even do it.

gillespiedc

Star Member
May 22, 2010
Zhuhai, China
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-08-2010
Hi Ian,

I am not familiar with the CIC part of all this as I have not experienced police checks for my wife (yet). There is an American company who I am sure has an office in Toronto called FADV. I am not certain if they work with individuals or just companies, but they do 3rd party background checks, including international police checks. If you continue to have difficulties maybe they could help.???

Cheers and good luck!

raucy

Jan 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-06-10
AOR Received.
16-08-10
Med's Done....
20/05/2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-09-2010
VISA ISSUED...
29-09-2010
LANDED..........
16-10-2010
Hi there,
I just received my police clearance back from OZ. I got my fingerprints taken by my local RCMP station for free. I posted this off with my application and it was all back to me within 3 weeks. Just make sure they send it to you directly. :)

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Make SURE Australia will accept digital prints. Some countries require you to do the ink and roll. Like an FBI request. You can look through the yellow pages for a fingerprinting service or your local detachment of the RCMP. Not always free though! $55 to $60 in my area of BC.

raucy

Jan 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-06-10
AOR Received.
16-08-10
Med's Done....
20/05/2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-09-2010
VISA ISSUED...
29-09-2010
LANDED..........
16-10-2010
Australia definately accepts ink fingerprints. The RCMP took them for me and I had absolutely no hassles in getting my Aussie police check with these. I took down my passport and the cover letter from the application pack and was done in 15 minutes. :)

mrshah30

Star Member
May 25, 2010
HI guyss..i need ur assisstance regarding fingerprint check..i need to send fingerprints to Australia for my police clearance here in pakistan i cudn't find any service in my city but any one plz let me know that where can i get my fingerprints or if i take it one blank paper and get it signed or attested by local police office will it work...plz..suggest..

cheers
mrshah

baljinsi

Jan 18, 2011
[
Hi Raucy,
You can be a big help for me---I have to get my finger print and name check from Perth Australia? I need to submit it to CIC.
I think I need to send following 3 docs to canberaa offcie to AFP.
1) Application form,
2) Ink finger print taken in front of local police
3) My Indian passport
4) Any local address proof

Is there anything I am missing. it is urgent . Please add anything if required.

Thanks ,
-Baljinsi