+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police certificate

NDDG

Star Member
Feb 26, 2020
Hello,
Can anyone please advise on this - do I need to provide a police certificate from a country I was born and lived in for 20 years but haven’t been there for 14 years? Thank you.

Nov 8, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
10-11-2018
LANDED..........
15-04-2019
You need a police certificate for every country you've lived in for more than 6 months for the last 10 years.

NDDG

Star Member
Feb 26, 2020
Thank you. That’s for sure? I was confused because in the form was written that I need to provide a police certificate for every country (I lived in for more than 6 months) from the age of 18. However, I live in the same country for the last 14 years (since age 20). And didn’t leave it for more than 15 days during these years.

Last edited:

Rach03

Star Member
Aug 15, 2019
Thank you. That’s for sure? I was confused because in the form was written that I need to provide a police certificate for every country (I lived in for more than 6 months) from the age of 18. However, I live in the same country for the last 14 years (since age 20). And didn’t leave it for more than 15 days during these years.
You must get a police certificate from each country/territory where you have lived for six months or more in a row since the age of 18. So, you have to apply for Police Check in your home country.

NDDG

Star Member
Feb 26, 2020
You must get a police certificate from each country/territory where you have lived for six months or more in a row since the age of 18. So, you have to apply for Police Check in your home country.
Thank you very much for your reply. However, I sent a message to the consulate, and they said that it’s enough to provide the certificate for the past 10 years only.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Thank you very much for your reply. However, I sent a message to the consulate, and they said that it’s enough to provide the certificate for the past 10 years only.
1. When all else fails, read the instructions

Get the police certificates you need

You must include police certificates when you apply for permanent residence.

Our online system will ask for a police certificate for:

• you and your family members who are 18 years or older
  • and
  • every country you (or a family member) stayed in during the last 10 years for 6 months or more in a row

You don’t need to give us police certificates for any period of time before you were 18 years old or for time spent in Canada.

NDDG

Star Member
Feb 26, 2020
Hi

1. When all else fails, read the instructions

Get the police certificates you need

You must include police certificates when you apply for permanent residence.

Our online system will ask for a police certificate for:

• you and your family members who are 18 years or older
  • and
  • every country you (or a family member) stayed in during the last 10 years for 6 months or more in a row

You don’t need to give us police certificates for any period of time before you were 18 years old or for time spent in Canada.
Thank you. I read that too. The instructions in the form made me confused. Because they didn’t say nothing about the 10 years period.

NDDG

Star Member
Feb 26, 2020
And I have another question please, is it ok to send a translated and notarized copy of the police certificate if I don’t have it in English? Thank you.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

And I have another question please, is it ok to send a translated and notarized copy of the police certificate if I don’t have it in English? Thank you.
1. Re-read the section, it says "every country you (or a family member) stayed in during the last 10 years for 6 months or more in a row

2. If the Police Certificate is neither English or French it has to be sent with a notarized translation.

NDDG

Star Member
Feb 26, 2020
HI

1. Re-read the section, it says "every country you (or a family member) stayed in during the last 10 years for 6 months or more in a row

2. If the Police Certificate is neither English or French it has to be sent with a notarized translation.
Hi,
Thank you for your reply. We probably read different sections. Unfortunately, I don’t find the information above.
However, I just found this and it doesn’t say that the certificate should be notarized:
“If your certificate is in a language other than English or French, send the police certificate along with a translation from a certified translator.”
If I have a (police) stamp on my police certificate it’s probably counts as an original and there’s no need to notarize it?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi,
Thank you for your reply. We probably read different sections. Unfortunately, I don’t find the information above.
However, I just found this and it doesn’t say that the certificate should be notarized:
“If your certificate is in a language other than English or French, send the police certificate along with a translation from a certified translator.”
If I have a (police) stamp on my police certificate it’s probably counts as an original and there’s no need to notarize it?
1. Not if it is in either English or French, you send the original. Other wise you send the original and a certified copy of the translation.