+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police Certificate

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
This may be a silly question but do day trips to the US count as 1 day in US or not?
I know that doesn't count as 1 day outside of Canada (for counting physical present days)

We are getting close to the number of days because of those 1 hr gas trips... sigh... hubby ignored my warnings back then....

2_of_5

Aug 16, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2012
LANDED..........
27-06-2013
This may be a silly question but do day trips to the US count as 1 day in US or not?
I know that doesn't count as 1 day outside of Canada (for counting physical present days)

We are getting close to the number of days because of those 1 hr gas trips... sigh... hubby ignored my warnings back then....
That tripped me up as well. I sent my app in on the 4th of October under the old rules, but afterward thought about it and now I'm wondering the same thing. I had 93 days outside of Canada according to the calculator, but if I counted day trips to the US for shopping or meetings, it came out to 305 days :eek: But I honestly won't know the answer until I get AOR and either get a request for a police clearance or not.

Just to be safe I went and got my FBI clearance right away (I'm US citizen, so it took me about 2 hours to get my clearance letter back electronically when I went to a channeler right across the border and had my prints scanned.)

uncomfortable

May 11, 2017
I'm US citizen, so it took me about 2 hours to get my clearance letter back electronically when I went to a channeler right across the border and had my prints scanned
Lucky you: in my case, form delivered to FBI on July 7, certificate dated on Sept 26. That's a very long time.

ibry

Jul 25, 2010
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
must the thumb print look a certain way? that is include part of the print after the joint

keypad

Sep 29, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-10-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
15-10-2013
Med's Done....
26-10-2013
Passport Req..
15-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2015
LANDED..........
29-09-2015
I have a question about this 183 days outside Canada rule for police clearance certificate.
Is this about spending 183 days continuously in a single trip or collectively for all the trips during last four years? I spent a month per trip to my home country but never 183 days continuously

Last edited:

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I have a question about this 183 days outside Canada rule for police clearance certificate.
Is this about spending 183 days continuously in a single trip or collectively for all the trips during last four years? I spent a month per trip to my home country but never 183 days continuously
If you apply October 26, 2017, add up all the days you were in a country between October 26, 2013 and October 25, 2017, and if the total number is 183 or more, check "yes" in item 10.b and include a Police Certificate, or give an explanation why a Police Certificate cannot be obtained.

Even if you never spent more than ten days at a time in a country, if the total adds up to 183 or more, check "yes" in item 10.b

If you check the help button on the form, or look at the guide, the examples will clearly illuminate this.

Reactions: keypad

keypad

Sep 29, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-10-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
15-10-2013
Med's Done....
26-10-2013
Passport Req..
15-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2015
LANDED..........
29-09-2015
If you apply October 26, 2017, add up all the days you were in a country between October 26, 2013 and October 25, 2017, and if the total number is 183 or more, check "yes" in item 10.b and include a Police Certificate, or give an explanation why a Police Certificate cannot be obtained.

Even if you never spent more than ten days at a time in a country, if the total adds up to 183 or more, check "yes" in item 10.b

If you check the help button on the form, or look at the guide, the examples will clearly illuminate this.
Thanks @dpenabill Actually I was going through the new eligibility requirements and this forum, honestly not read the official guide yet
I am now being ready to cope with this PCC thing as I am surely going to need this.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Actually I was going through the new eligibility requirements and this forum, honestly not read the official guide yet
Best place to start preparing to apply is by looking at the form itself and the checklist, at what information and documentation is needed, and then to go through the guide. All of which should be readily accessible on the IRCC website.

The forms can change anytime (and are likely to periodically change), so of course it is crucial to use the latest form available when actually applying, and to check that form against the one online the day the application is going into the mail. BUT the current form is still the best place to start the preparation process. (Even the rules can change, but there is usually some notice well in advance if that is happening.)

The current form has help buttons, which when clicked reveal nearly the same information that is provided in the Guide, in the part about completing the application.

Suggestion: do not follow the example set by too many recently. Rushing the application tends to cause far more trepidation, if not outright problems and delays, than is necessary.

pat767

Jun 15, 2012
Hi!

Maybe someone can help me shed some light on the interpretation of 10B.

Landing as PR: 13 JUN 2013
Supposing Citizenship application signed today: 25 OCT 2017
Went back to country of birth on: 19 JUN 2013
Came back to Canada: 22 DEC 2013
Total days away in country of birth: 186 days

4-year period from application date: 25OCT2013 to 25OCT2017

From Instruction Guide: "Within the last 4 years, if you spent 183 days or more in another country (other than Canada), you must provide a police certificate."

How do I interpret this, since the trip to country of birth overlaps 25 OCT 2013?

A) I do not need police certificate because I was only out of country for 58 days from the 4-year mark (25 OCT 2013) until 22 DEC 2013?

OR

B) I need a police certificate because the duration of the trip was 186 days, even though the trip began over the 4-years mark?

Or is it better to just wait until after December 22 and there is no more trip within the past 4 years?

Thanks for your help!

Stef.

Apr 5, 2017
You have your answer in your question...did you spend more than 183 days in another country within the last four years or not? No. The period that interests them is within the past 4 years and not before.
Be aware though, the 183 days do not need to be consecutive! So if you go 4 times for 50 days you need police certificate.

alexy2016

Star Member
May 4, 2016
So from reading this thread now I know I made a mistake in ticking no in the question whether I spent 183 days or more in the preceding four years when I clearly spent more than 183 days in my home country prior to immigrating here in July 2014 which I also listed in the form. For some reason I thought I don’t need to submit a police clearance since in the 3/5 or 3/6 years pre c-24 rule they don’t need that. Dumb reason, I know.

So what do you think should I do now? Should I wait for AOR and wait for my application to be returned?