Hi all. I am new to this forum and going to apply PR. Currently
I am collecting documents required for permanent residence
application, and one of them will be police certificate. Since I am
originally from Hong Kong, and the certificate will only be released
directly to the Canadian Consulate General, instead of me. So, can I
just send my application package without the police certicate to the
visa office in Buffalo, and submit the police certificate upon request
by the CIC office.

Anyone can answer my question will be greatly appreciated.

explorer101

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2010
CANADA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can send all your documents to Visa Office with an explanation letter mentioning that the P C C would reach directly from Police and then make efforts that the same is sent by Police, Do tell police about your file number and visa office to which they have to send.

gwpower

Mar 23, 2010
I spoke to a lawyer today and he said it is okay to send the PCC later, and let CIC know I have applied for it and taking time. Do any of you think this is not a good idea? Should I or should I not? Its takin me forever to get the PCC!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
gwpower said:
I spoke to a lawyer today and he said it is okay to send the PCC later, and let CIC know I have applied for it and taking time. Do any of you think this is not a good idea? Should I or should I not? Its takin me forever to get the PCC!
I would advise against that, the way CIC is rejecting applications these days. It's not like there's a deadline to submit the CEC application, so I'm not sure what justification there would be to submit an incomplete application. What country is the PCC from?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

jes_ON said:
I would advise against that, the way CIC is rejecting applications these days. It's not like there's a deadline to submit the CEC application, so I'm not sure what justification there would be to submit an incomplete application. What country is the PCC from?
The OP requires a Hong Kong Police Certificate, HK will not issue it to the OP without the letter from Buffalo. So he has to submit his application, Buffalo sends him the letter, he completes the application for HK and sends it with the letter from Buffalo. HK then sends the Police Certificate. They won't process without the letter.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
PMM said:
Hi

The OP requires a Hong Kong Police Certificate, HK will not issue it to the OP without the letter from Buffalo. So he has to submit his application, Buffalo sends him the letter, he completes the application for HK and sends it with the letter from Buffalo. HK then sends the Police Certificate. They won't process without the letter.
Yes, that's true, but I was responding to gwpower who is not the OP. gwpower did not state what country the PCC was from...

gwpower

Mar 23, 2010
jes_ON said:
Yes Im with you on that. The PCC is from Dhaka, Bangladesh. Heard the passport needs to be endorsed by the embassy and then the process can begin. Im much wondering if Ottawa can help at all and how long they may need.

I do have a deadline in the sense that my work permit would expire december 2011. If rejected, Ill not have time to reapply I presume. How long are they taking anyway these days for cec?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
gwpower said:
Yes Im with you on that. The PCC is from Dhaka, Bangladesh. Heard the passport needs to be endorsed by the embassy and then the process can begin. Im much wondering if Ottawa can help at all and how long they may need.

I do have a deadline in the sense that my work permit would expire december 2011. If rejected, Ill not have time to reapply I presume. How long are they taking anyway these days for cec?
Oh, good luck with that. I assume you're a citizen, so you may have a much easier time of it, but as a bideshi, I have been working on getting a PCC from Bangladesh since January 2009. There's some info and forms on the BDHC Ottawa website to get a photocopy of your passport attested...

http://www.bdhc.org/index.php?go=attestation

As for me, my latest effort to have someone get a PCC for me was refused by the DMP because I'm a foreigner... told I have to go through my High Commission (Ottawa refuses to help) and the Foreign Ministry (black hole) to get one... I'm ready to write to Hilary Clinton for help :)

As for your actual question - old time frames for processing CEC applications are out the window, no one knows what the new time frames will be, other than a lot longer than before... more than a year, probably...

Would love to hear how it goes for your PCC, please feel free to PM me -