+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police Certificate: When to apply exactly? Confused...

jim.avi

Apr 9, 2016
ytang said:
Hey guys,

I have the same situation with the FBI report (the website says the processing time is 13-18 weeks!) Thanks for the LoE advice.

But I have also heard that for some cases, because Canada and USA have a close tie, the police record needed from the FBI might be covered by a Canadian version of the police record, is this true?? Like, if we get a Canadian police record, that should cover it?

If this is not true...

From the FBI website:
"If possible, have your fingerprints taken by a fingerprinting technician. This service may be available at a law enforcement agency."

Any advice where I should go and get my fingerprints taken? I live in Vancouver, BC.
Hey, even I'm in a similar situation. I live in the US and since I need a FBI certificate, I don't see it getting it before 13-16 weeks. Any thoughts on this? Will LOE suffice in this case?

Dexmoody

Aug 12, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jim.avi said:
Hey, even I'm in a similar situation. I live in the US and since I need a FBI certificate, I don't see it getting it before 13-16 weeks. Any thoughts on this? Will LOE suffice in this case?
This has already been discussed to death on this forum. You are not the first person to have this problem.

You are advised to wait until a couple of days before the expiry of your ITA. If you still haven't received the FBI certificate by then, do as you are told on this website:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/express/intake-complete.asp

"In exceptional circumstances, IRCC may accept

proof of having requested a police certificate for such countries; and
an explanation of best efforts (not a guarantee of acceptance). The applicant should explain the delay in a document and upload the document. The uploaded document must show that the applicant requested a police certificate as soon as possible after receiving their Invitation to Apply."

and:

"In exceptional circumstances, some applicants may experience delays in obtaining police certificates within the 60-calendar-day timeframe allocated to submit a complete e-APR. In such situations, applicants should submit a letter of explanation as part of their application and include proof of having requested a police certificate (e.g., a copy of the receipt obtained when they requested the police certificate from the prescribed authority). The officer’s discretion may be required in assessing whether police certificates that do not fall within these time limits are valid and reliable for the purpose of evaluating admissibility."

unni@2016

Apr 9, 2016
Hi Guys
I read the comments and was really informative.
I still have confusion with the PCC for someone who stayed in more than one state in India.
In my case I have my passport issued from my native state and worked in Hyderabad and currently working in Bangalore both more than 3 years/state.
Do I need PCC from all the three states or I need to submit to submit only one from my native where my passport was issued.
Please reply

Thanks in advance

mira_johnson

Sep 30, 2015
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
10-2017
LANDED..........
10-2017
Asivad Anac said:
Depends on the country involved - some countries will issue PCC only after receiving a letter from CIC while others don't have any such requirement.

Another factor to be considered is that PCC for your current country of residence is valid for 6 months from date of issue. PCC from any other country is valid indefinitely until you go back and live in that country again.
According to CiC website, Police certificates are generally considered to be valid for one year from date of issue. Are you sure about the "valid indefinitely" for countries abroad until you go back to live in that country again?

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mira_johnson said:
According to CiC website, Police certificates are generally considered to be valid for one year from date of issue. Are you sure about the "valid indefinitely" for countries abroad until you go back to live in that country again?
Yes.

jim.avi

Apr 9, 2016
Dexmoody said:
This has already been discussed to death on this forum. You are not the first person to have this problem.

You are advised to wait until a couple of days before the expiry of your ITA. If you still haven't received the FBI certificate by then, do as you are told on this website:

"In exceptional circumstances, IRCC may accept

proof of having requested a police certificate for such countries; and
an explanation of best efforts (not a guarantee of acceptance). The applicant should explain the delay in a document and upload the document. The uploaded document must show that the applicant requested a police certificate as soon as possible after receiving their Invitation to Apply."

and:

"In exceptional circumstances, some applicants may experience delays in obtaining police certificates within the 60-calendar-day timeframe allocated to submit a complete e-APR. In such situations, applicants should submit a letter of explanation as part of their application and include proof of having requested a police certificate (e.g., a copy of the receipt obtained when they requested the police certificate from the prescribed authority). The officer’s discretion may be required in assessing whether police certificates that do not fall within these time limits are valid and reliable for the purpose of evaluating admissibility."
Thank you very much for taking the time to respond to my query. Also, appreciate the information. This is indeed very helpful. Sorry for the ignorance but - Just a quick follow up: Does the CIC accept the LOE and then wait for the FBI report to arrive from us? Because since it takes about 3.5 months to get a FBI report, does the CIC wait for another 1.5 months for the report from us? Just curios!

Rohexpentry

Star Member
Mar 5, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I haven't received an ITA yet but I went ahead and applied for a PCC from FBI in mid March, coz it takes 14-16 weeks for FBI to deliver one. If I get an ITA in one of the next few draws, I think I'll be able to send a complete file to them within allotted 60 days without the need of an LOE.

Worst case even if we don't get an ITA in next few draws all I am going to lose is $18 , thats it.

Aal_

Feb 28, 2016
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
16-03-2017
AOR Received.
17-03-2017
Med's Done....
23-02-2017 / Passed: 12-07-2017
Passport Req..
11-09-2018
I have a curve ball question. They say your VO can be where your residence or your home country. If I go to my home country and use that VO, then how would I be able to get a pcc before I leave since I will be there to submit my passport for my application.

KD87

Star Member
Mar 22, 2016
COCHIN
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have one doubt abt Police clearance.

I have been in Qatar, UK, Singapore and India for more than 6 months in the past 10 years. So obviously CIC will ask me to provide PCC from these countries once i get ITA (Hopefully I get one). So can i get PCC from these countries right now rather than wait for my ITA. I understand PCC is valid only till the date you apply for it. But since i am in india now cant i get the PCC from the other countries and get the indian one once i get ITA. I also understand that some countries require a letter requesting the PCC from CIC. But from the above list I think only singapore would ask me tht. Given the situation i was thinking of applying for my UK and Qatar PCC before hand to save as much as time possible once i get ITA. Anyone has any ideas on if my thoughts r right. Or does CIC need all the PCCs to be issued after the ITA date?

Thanks in advance for ur inputs.

kmjcad

Jan 28, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear Asivad Sir,

need your assistance if you have come across a case such as mine- I reside in Singapore and was asked by CIC to submit the PCC- Background info, I lived in Singapore for two seperate periods since the age of 18- when I went to the authority in Singapore, they issued a PCC with my most recent period of stay- when I requested to them that I need both periods included in the PCC (it states dates) they said, their format doesnt allow for 2 periods and that they have scanned my history from beginning- I asked if I could apply for a second PCC with the second period of stay (the one not written on 1st PCC) and they say NO. I submitted the PCC with a LOE but its been 3 months now and I have heard nothing from CIC. Am worried sick that this PCC will be a sticking point. Any insight sir? Thank you.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Aal_ said:
I have a curve ball question. They say your VO can be where your residence or your home country. If I go to my home country and use that VO, then how would I be able to get a pcc before I leave since I will be there to submit my passport for my application.
Submit your passport?

If you apply while you're at home country, THAT country is your current country of residence so the other PCC rule applies, not a curveball actually. :)

Aal_

Feb 28, 2016
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
16-03-2017
AOR Received.
17-03-2017
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
11-09-2018
Asivad Anac said:
Submit your passport?

If you apply while you're at home country, THAT country is your current country of residence so the other PCC rule applies, not a curveball actually. :)
I am resident of country X. My home country is Y. If I receive an ITA, I might go stay in country Y until i get the VISA and will use country Y VO. In my application my residence country is X not Y. Y is my citizenship country as far as CIC knows.

From the country of residence X I can get a PCC, but once I am in country Y, I will not leave it until I get my VISA. In my EE profile X is my residence country.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Aal_ said:
I am resident of country X. My home country is Y. If I receive an ITA, I might go stay in country Y until i get the VISA and will use country Y VO. In my application my residence country is X not Y. Y is my citizenship country as far as CIC knows.

From the country of residence X I can get a PCC, but once I am in country Y, I will not leave it until I get my VISA. In my EE profile X is my residence country.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Not how this works.

Your travel and personal history will show up where you currently live. Unless you're planning to lie about that (or even hide that) in your application, that is.

Aal_

Feb 28, 2016
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
16-03-2017
AOR Received.
17-03-2017
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
11-09-2018
Asivad Anac said:
Not how this works.

Your travel and personal history will show up where you currently live. Unless you're planning to lie about that (or even hide that) in your application, that is.
So what you're saying is that it doesn't matter where i am when i submit my application, whether my home country or my country of usual residence. :)

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Aal_ said:
So what you're saying is that it doesn't matter where i am when i submit my application, whether my home country or my country of usual residence. :)
Makes no difference to your application except for the PCC bit. Where you're applying from is the country of current residence and PCC from there shouldn't be more than 6 months old.