+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police Certificate requirment for Citizenship

delpi

Star Member
Nov 25, 2013
Hi All,
Pls I have a similar question to the above question: I became PR 3years ago. Lived&Landed from a country which is not my country of origin. Do I need to provide another Police Certificate again with my citizenship application even Wen I had submited one PCC with my original immigration application b4 become PR?
Any help will b appreciated, that No.10.b is abit confusing.

Thanks

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi All,
Pls I have a similar question to the above question: I became PR 3years ago. Lived&Landed from a country which is not my country of origin. Do I need to provide another Police Certificate again with my citizenship application even Wen I had submited one PCC with my original immigration application b4 become PR?
Any help will b appreciated, that No.10.b is abit confusing.

Thanks
1. You need a police certificate from all countries in the 4 years prior to the date of your application, where you have spent 183 days IN A ROW.
2. If you spent 183 days in a row in that country, then you need a police certificate from that country.

delpi

Star Member
Nov 25, 2013
Hi

1. You need a police certificate from all countries in the 4 years prior to the date of your application, where you have spent 183 days IN A ROW.
2. If you spent 183 days in a row in that country, then you need a police certificate from that country.
Even if I had submitted a police certificate from that country where I was living for 8yrs prior to submiting my original immigration application? Pls throw more light.
Thanks

Below example best fit my situation:

Example 1 You lived in France for one year (365 days) before you became a permanent resident 3 years ago. You did not travel to France after you became a permanent resident. You would answer “Yes” to the question and you would need to provide a police certificate from France if you did not provide one with your immigration application. If you provided a police certificate from France with your immigration application, tell us this in the box provided at Question 10b.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

Even if I had submitted a police certificate from that country where I was living for 8yrs prior to submiting my original immigration application? Pls throw more light.
Thanks

Below example best fit my situation:

Example 1 You lived in France for one year (365 days) before you became a permanent resident 3 years ago. You did not travel to France after you became a permanent resident. You would answer “Yes” to the question and you would need to provide a police certificate from France if you did not provide one with your immigration application. If you provided a police certificate from France with your immigration application, tell us this in the box provided at Question 10b.
1, As the question state, if you haven't returned since you become a PR or spent 183 days there, then you don't require that countries Police certicate.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
HI

1, As the question state, if you haven't returned since you become a PR or spent 183 days there, then you don't require that countries Police certicate.
Should we need to list the country and enter the notes saying its the country of origin before becoming PR or we should not even list the country at all?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Should we need to list the country and enter the notes saying its the country of origin before becoming PR or we should not even list the country at all?
I think they should know the country already.
Answer the questions in item 10 accurately. Based on the facts.

How you answer these items determines whether or not a police certificate needs to be submitted with the application.

NOT the other way around. Whether or not the applicant needs to submit a police certificate does not affect how to answer item 10.b.

So, again, answer the questions in item 10 based on the facts, NOT based on whether you conclude a police certificate is needed or not needed.

Thus, for example, if within the FOUR years prior to applying, the applicant was in another country, meaning ANY other country (including country of origin), "for 183 days or more in a row," the proper, accurate answer to item 10.b is YES.

If the applicant checks YES in 10.b. the applicant THEN must list the name of the country in the chart provided.

The instructions then say to submit a police certificate for that country BUT there are EXCEPTIONS. One of those exceptions is if the applicant was in his or her country of origin immediately prior to becoming a PR. In this situation the applicant can simply "explain" this, that the country listed is the applicant's country of origin. There is a box for this right next to the column in which the country is listed.

Frankly, the instructions about this are clear and right there in the application form itself. So please forgive me for being repetitive, but "when in doubt, read the instructions; otherwise, yep, read the instructions."

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
meaning ANY other country (
Answer the questions in item 10 accurately. Based on the facts.

How you answer these items determines whether or not a police certificate needs to be submitted with the application.

NOT the other way around. Whether or not the applicant needs to submit a police certificate does not affect how to answer item 10.b.

So, again, answer the questions in item 10 based on the facts, NOT based on whether you conclude a police certificate is needed or not needed.

Thus, for example, if within the FOUR years prior to applying, the applicant was in another country, meaning ANY other country (including country of origin), "for 183 days or more in a row," the proper, accurate answer to item 10.b is YES.

If the applicant checks YES in 10.b. the applicant THEN must list the name of the country in the chart provided.

The instructions then say to submit a police certificate for that country BUT there are EXCEPTIONS. One of those exceptions is if the applicant was in his or her country of origin immediately prior to becoming a PR. In this situation the applicant can simply "explain" this, that the country listed is the applicant's country of origin. There is a box for this right next to the column in which the country is listed.

Frankly, the instructions about this are clear and right there in the application form itself. So please forgive me for being repetitive, but "when in doubt, read the instructions; otherwise, yep, read the instructions."
Sure thanks. I already wrote the country in the list and gave explanation but was trying to confirm.

jilaniroy

Mar 28, 2014
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
06-05-2017
Okay, here is something I found while calculating my physical presence in Canada.

https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/resCalcStartNew.do

It clearly says if you were in your home country immediately prior to becoming PR and this period falls within 4 years time from the date of citizenship application then you DO NOT need to submit a PCC.

Same information is on application guide as well.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html#Step3

Last edited:

andy10

Star Member
Sep 18, 2019
Hello Members!
I am going to apply for citizenship soon. I came here in May 2015 as PR and never went went back to home country, do i still need police clearance certificate from home country?
Thanks
this is only required if you have lived outside Canada for a total of 183 days or more in a row in the 4 years immediately before the date of your application

vvarma

Jul 18, 2015
Hi, I am just looking for guidance here. I have already submitted my Citizenship App and received my AOR few weeks ago. Now my case is that I had traveled to India for 4 months last year (<183 days). As per IRCC rules, I do not need a PCC.

Keeping in mind that IRCC can still request for a PCC, does somebody on this forum think it would be wise to apply for a PCC in advance, so that if and when IRCC asks for it, I can quickly courier it to them? Or is there a good chance that they wouldn't ask for PCC? I know many cases where applicants have traveled to their home countries for few weeks to a month and CIC did not ask for a PCC. But since mine is 120 days at a stretch - so that's why I am wondering.
Also, if I were to apply for a PCC in advance, for how long will it be good - does it expire?