+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police certificate requirement - short trip to home country

Sep 26, 2018
Hi everyone,

This is probably a really daft question, but here goes.

My partner and I had to travel back to the UK at very short notice, due to a family member's ill health.

We will be traveling back to Canada next week.

Our PR applications are in progress so we both currently have 12month Bridging Open Work Permits, which are valid until October.

As these don't technically authorise re-entry it's likely that the border official will ask for proof of our eligibility to return to Canada when we go through immigration at the airport.

We have sufficient proof of funds, valid bridging open work permits and our ETAs are still active - however, the police certificates we have are more than 6 months old, although they were of course valid when we applied for our PR and bridging permits.

My question is whether they'll want us to get new police certifcates so that they are less than 6 months old?

To be honest, that doesn't really make sense to me, as we've only been in the UK for 3 weeks since the last certificates were issued - but I've been told otherwise by a couple of people.

Hopefully I'm just worrying about nothing, but any advice or reassurance would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:
Reactions: dsuy