+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police certificate for the sponsor ?!

Gekko

Aug 15, 2016
Hi,

I am a Canadian citizen by birth, I am currently doing an In Land sponsoring for my wife who is from Jamaica.
We've sent all the paperwork last January.
My sponsorship was approved by the Quebec gov and my wife got her CSQ.
Her medical was approved and her background check as well.

I received today and email from CIC requesting a Police Certificate for me from Barbados, where I spent vacation in the past, but never for more then 2 weeks.

Why would they ask me a police certificate from a country that I never resided and further more I am the sponsor and Canadian citizen ?

Anyone ever encounter such ?

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

I am a Canadian citizen by birth, I am currently doing an In Land sponsoring for my wife who is from Jamaica.

I received today and email from CIC requesting a Police Certificate for me from Barbados, where I spent vacation in the past, but never for more then 2 weeks.

Why would they ask me a police certificate from a country that I never resided and further more I am the sponsor and Canadian citizen ?

Thanks
That's unusual. I assume you're 100% sure they are asking about a PCC for you (not for your wife).

Did you have any criminality issues while there or runs in with the law? That's the only reason I can think of...

Reactions: kcward7

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Hi,

Thanks
If it for you the only thing I would speculate about is if you had broken the law there?

Reactions: scylla

Gekko

Aug 15, 2016
If it for you the only thing I would speculate about is if you had broken the law there?
I havent broke the law there.
6 years ago, I had my honeymoon there and we got into an accident.
My wife died, I survived.
That was it, never got charge for anything, never got arrested.
I did asked the Canada Ambassy there for some help.
That was it.

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
That was it.
I'm so sorry to hear that.

It may provide additional context if you can share the request sent by IRCC.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
That was it.
That's horrible. I'm so sorry.

It's very unusual to request a PCC for the sponsor. I'm sure this is related to your accident there. You can be denied as a sponsor if you have any criminality issues dealing with violence against a family member or spouse/partner. I suspect IRCC is looking to confirm that you meet the sponsorship requirements.

Gekko

Aug 15, 2016
I'm so sorry to hear that.

It may provide additional context if you can share the request sent by IRCC.
We had a little too much to drink.
I was carrying her on my back to our room.
We felt in the stairs up to our room.
She suffered head injuries, took the ambulance 45 minutes to finally arrive.
She was pronounce dead on arrival and I have been treated for my own injuries.
Police asked my deposition.
That was it.

this is the letter I got

Dear my name:
This refers to the Application to Sponsor a Member of the Spouse or Common-Law Partner In Canada
Class you submitted to this office on behalf of MY WIFE NAME.
We are not able to process your application as further information is required. Submit the following
document:
XXXXXXXX - MY NAME:
> Police clearance certificate: Provide an original police clearance certificate from
Barbados. Visit https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-
citizenship/services/application/medical-police/police-certificates/how/barbados.html for information on
how to obtain a police certificate. This must be received at this office by: 2019/01/05
Please send the requested information / document(s) to:
Attention: Officer PR – Inland SCLPC - XXXXXXXXX
E-mail: CPC-Mississauga-InlandSCLP@cic.gc.ca
All requested documents/information and a copy of this correspondence must be submitted within the
timeframes specified above (formatted as “year/month/day”). If you are unable to provide any or all of
the requested documents/information, please explain why they are not available. No other reminder
will be sent to you. If you fail to provide the requested information, your application will be assessed
on the basis of the information that we have which may result in the refusal of your sponsorship
application.
IMPORTANT: Passport(s) for your sponsored family member(s) must be valid for the duration of their
stay in Canada.
When should I contact IRCC?
You must also notify IRCC of any changes to your application. Examples of changes include:
 Change in status in Canada: you must submit a written statement to this office and include
evidence to indicate the status in Canada of all persons listed in your Application for
Permanent Residence;
Case Processing Centre Mississauga Centre de Traitement des Demandes Mississauga
 Changes in the personal circumstances of the person you are sponsoring and his/her
dependant(s), if any, including change in status in Canada, birth or adoption of a child, death
of a family member, a marriage or a divorce;
 For changes in status in Canada: you must submit a written statement to this office and
include evidence to indicate the status in Canada of the person you are sponsoring,
and that of their dependant(s), if any.
 If you have a child, you must specify whether or not he/she is to be added to this
application. If that child is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, please provide a
copy of their document which details his/her status in Canada (i.e. Canadian birth
certificate, Canadian passport, Canadian citizenship certificate, Canadian permanent
resident card, etc.).
 Change of contact information (e-mail, mailing address, telephone number);
 Appointment or change of immigration representative or designated individual; and/or
 Decision to withdraw your application.
You have the option to withdraw your application at any point in the process, provided that a final
decision has not been made on the Application for Permanent Residence (APR).
Contact Information
For information about Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) programs and services,
application forms, or general updates on your file status, visit our web site at www.canada.ca.
To contact this office and for more information on what to expect next, please refer to the After You
Apply webpage at www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse-apply-after.asp.
How do I check the status of my application?
You may use your 8-digit Unique Client Identifier (UCI) number located at the top left of this
correspondence to check the status of your application on the IRCC website. Please visit
www.cic.gc.ca/english and select “Check your application status”.
How long will it take to process my application?
Processing times vary. You can consult the processing times by visiting the IRCC website at
www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-fc.asp. Please note that, given the high volume of
inquiries submitted to IRCC offices, status updates on cases are not normally provided unless the
processing time for a file is longer than the service standards outlined in the IRCC website.
What if my address changes?
You must report any changes to your address, telephone number(s) and email address immediately.
Please note that CPC Mississauga will not update contact information. Changes to your contact
information should be made through our online service at www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/change-
address.asp. Failure to provide a current or correct address may result in delays in the processing of
your application.
Sincerely,
Officer PR

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
We had a little too much to drink.
I was carrying her on my back to our room.
We felt in the stairs up to our room.
She suffered head injuries, took the ambulance 45 minutes to finally arrive.
She was pronounce dead on arrival and I have been treated for my own injuries.
Police asked my deposition.
That was it.

this is the letter I got

Dear my name:
This refers to the Application to Sponsor a Member of the Spouse or Common-Law Partner In Canada
Class you submitted to this office on behalf of MY WIFE NAME.
We are not able to process your application as further information is required. Submit the following
document:
XXXXXXXX - MY NAME:
> Police clearance certificate: Provide an original police clearance certificate from
Barbados. Visit https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-
citizenship/services/application/medical-police/police-certificates/how/barbados.html for information on
how to obtain a police certificate. This must be received at this office by: 2019/01/05
Please send the requested information / document(s) to:
Attention: Officer PR – Inland SCLPC - XXXXXXXXX
E-mail: CPC-Mississauga-InlandSCLP@cic.gc.ca
All requested documents/information and a copy of this correspondence must be submitted within the
timeframes specified above (formatted as “year/month/day”). If you are unable to provide any or all of
the requested documents/information, please explain why they are not available. No other reminder
will be sent to you. If you fail to provide the requested information, your application will be assessed
on the basis of the information that we have which may result in the refusal of your sponsorship
application.
IMPORTANT: Passport(s) for your sponsored family member(s) must be valid for the duration of their
stay in Canada.
When should I contact IRCC?
You must also notify IRCC of any changes to your application. Examples of changes include:
 Change in status in Canada: you must submit a written statement to this office and include
evidence to indicate the status in Canada of all persons listed in your Application for
Permanent Residence;
Case Processing Centre Mississauga Centre de Traitement des Demandes Mississauga
 Changes in the personal circumstances of the person you are sponsoring and his/her
dependant(s), if any, including change in status in Canada, birth or adoption of a child, death
of a family member, a marriage or a divorce;
 For changes in status in Canada: you must submit a written statement to this office and
include evidence to indicate the status in Canada of the person you are sponsoring,
and that of their dependant(s), if any.
 If you have a child, you must specify whether or not he/she is to be added to this
application. If that child is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, please provide a
copy of their document which details his/her status in Canada (i.e. Canadian birth
certificate, Canadian passport, Canadian citizenship certificate, Canadian permanent
resident card, etc.).
 Change of contact information (e-mail, mailing address, telephone number);
 Appointment or change of immigration representative or designated individual; and/or
 Decision to withdraw your application.
You have the option to withdraw your application at any point in the process, provided that a final
decision has not been made on the Application for Permanent Residence (APR).
Contact Information
For information about Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) programs and services,
application forms, or general updates on your file status, visit our web site at www.canada.ca.
To contact this office and for more information on what to expect next, please refer to the After You
Apply webpage at www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse-apply-after.asp.
How do I check the status of my application?
You may use your 8-digit Unique Client Identifier (UCI) number located at the top left of this
correspondence to check the status of your application on the IRCC website. Please visit
www.cic.gc.ca/english and select “Check your application status”.
How long will it take to process my application?
Processing times vary. You can consult the processing times by visiting the IRCC website at
www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-fc.asp. Please note that, given the high volume of
inquiries submitted to IRCC offices, status updates on cases are not normally provided unless the
processing time for a file is longer than the service standards outlined in the IRCC website.
What if my address changes?
You must report any changes to your address, telephone number(s) and email address immediately.
Please note that CPC Mississauga will not update contact information. Changes to your contact
information should be made through our online service at www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/change-
address.asp. Failure to provide a current or correct address may result in delays in the processing of
your application.
Sincerely,
Officer PR
There must have been some investigation at the accident of some sort - in any case as scylla said, that's why they'd be requesting it, because of this event.

Gekko

Aug 15, 2016
There must have been some investigation at the accident of some sort - in any case as scylla said, that's why they'd be requesting it, because of this event.
The only investigation was my deposition and the security cam footage from the hotel.
They asked me questions, I made a deposition and that was it.
Their was no charge, as it was accidental.
All they took was my name and my passport number and my deposition.

So makes me wonder why would they asked for such a document

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
The only investigation was my deposition and the security cam footage from the hotel.
They asked me questions, I made a deposition and that was it.
Their was no charge, as it was accidental.
All they took was my name and my passport number and my deposition.

So makes me wonder why would they asked for such a document
Still, there's record of it, so it's why they'd want to see it, I'd imagine.