+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police Certificate for Inland Spousal Sponsorship

nin_ja

Star Member
May 20, 2016
Does anyone for which countries we need Police certificate for spouse while applying for sponsoring PR as an inland application?

I am getting mixed information;
  • some places says every country where you have lived for more than 6 months
  • some says current country (if lived in for more than 6 months) and country where spouse has lived most time after 18 years of age?
Does anyone know which of the above is correct? Many thanks in advance! Your help is much appreciated.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
For spousal sponsorships:

Police certificates
The principal applicant and each family member 18 or older (who aren’t already Canadian citizens or permanent residents), must submit police certificates from the following country or countries with the application:

• Current country of residence if you (or they) have lived there for 6 months or more.
    and

• The country where you (or they) resided for most of your (or their) life since the age of 18.
Police certificates are generally valid for 1 year from the date they’re issued. Depending on processing times, we may ask you for new certificates.
From the guide: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html

Reactions: nin_ja

babsizkil

Dec 18, 2016
Does anyone for which countries we need Police certificate for spouse while applying for sponsoring PR as an inland application?

I am getting mixed information;
  • some places says every country where you have lived for more than 6 months
  • some says current country (if lived in for more than 6 months) and country where spouse has lived most time after 18 years of age?
Does anyone know which of the above is correct? Many thanks in advance! Your help is much appreciated.
It depends on what program you're applying for, that's why the requirement will varies and also the specific country. I believe, it's the country where your spouse (and any family members) have spent most of their life since age of 18 or where your spouse currently live, if they've lived there for 6 months or more. For example, if your spouse was born and lived in the US and left before reaching age 18. Then your spouse will not need police certificate from the US. Or where your spouse currently live, say Canada and they've stayed here for 6 months or more, then a police certificate from Canada will be required.

nin_ja

Star Member
May 20, 2016
It depends on what program you're applying for, that's why the requirement will varies and also the specific country. I believe, it's the country where your spouse (and any family members) have spent most of their life since age of 18 or where your spouse currently live, if they've lived there for 6 months or more. For example, if your spouse was born and lived in the US and left before reaching age 18. Then your spouse will not need police certificate from the US. Or where your spouse currently live, say Canada and they've stayed here for 6 months or more, then a police certificate from Canada will be required.
Thank you so much @babsizkil !

Reactions: babsizkil

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
OP specified it was a spousal application, inland.

Spousal application guide says it is the current country of residence and the country they've spent the majority of life in since 18, if not the same country.

It is theoretically possible that a country-specific requirement would have a PCC requirement, but for that to happen, the country would need to be either the applicant's citizenship country (due to passport being submitted) or their current country of residence, which is already caught by above.

Like you said, it does depend on program. Some economic streams require a PCC for every country lived in for >=6months. But not spousal.

Dchawla

Star Member
Jul 21, 2020
OP specified it was a spousal application, inland.

Spousal application guide says it is the current country of residence and the country they've spent the majority of life in since 18, if not the same country.

It is theoretically possible that a country-specific requirement would have a PCC requirement, but for that to happen, the country would need to be either the applicant's citizenship country (due to passport being submitted) or their current country of residence, which is already caught by above.

Like you said, it does depend on program. Some economic streams require a PCC for every country lived in for >=6months. But not spousal.
Hello sir,
So does this mean if I’ve spent more than the last 6 months and most of my life here in Canada since I turned 18, I don’t need to submit any PCC until they request for a Canadian PCC?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
For a spousal application only:
You are to submit PCCs for (a) the country you live in, and (b) the country you have spent most of your life in since age 18.

If both of those are Canada, then you don't need to submit others unless your specific immigration stream requirements say you must for another reason, such as spending >6mo in a row in a country.

Dchawla

Star Member
Jul 21, 2020
Thank you so much. Because in Inland spousal it only states the 2 options. So I need not worry.
thank you