+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

police certificate for citizeinship

darkman77

Apr 17, 2019
if any body has apply they said if you proved a police certificate before you came to canada you dont need to poroved anther one any body has idea

Jayson

Champion Member
Aug 8, 2013
If you’ve lived in another country for 180 days or over after becoming a PR. You need a “New certificate”!

nanni_doc

Star Member
Jun 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
warsawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15 December 2014
Doc's Request.
13 May 2015
IELTS Request
submitted with application
File Transfer...
dont know
Med's Request
14 May 2015
Med's Done....
15 May 2015
Interview........
Third Line Update - 28 May 2015, DM/FLU - 25 June 2015
Passport Req..
7th July 2015; passports submitted: 7July 2015; Passports received back: 16 July 2015
VISA ISSUED...
26 june 2015
LANDED..........
Hopefully in November
If you’ve lived in another country for 180 days or over after becoming a PR. You need a “New certificate”!
Wrong, if you have stayed in any country for 180 or more days, 5 years before your application filing date then you need to provide original copy of police clearance of that country.

Lets say if you became a landed pr in 2016 and you were living in India from 2014 to 2016 then you have to provide Indian and Canadian pcc. Of course if you lived in another country for 3 months or more than that country too,

darkman77

Apr 17, 2019
Wrong, if you have stayed in any country for 180 or more days, 5 years before your application filing date then you need to provide original copy of police clearance of that country.

Lets say if you became a landed pr in 2016 and you were living in India from 2014 to 2016 then you have to provide Indian and Canadian pcc. Of course if you lived in another country for 3 months or more than that country too,

Jayson

Champion Member
Aug 8, 2013
But if you provide one before you came to Canada do you need new one
You don’t need one for Canada as they’ll check your history anyway, during the application being in process, if something looks “NOT RIGHT” or they have their reasons to see you with suspicion, then you’d be asked for finger prints.
However, during your eligibility period, if you spent 183 days or more in another country (other than Canada), you must provide a police certificate. You must provide a police certificate for each country where you spent 183 days or more. AGAIN, DURING YOUR ELIGIBILITY PERIOD!

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010

Lets say if you became a landed pr in 2016 and you were living in India from 2014 to 2016 then you have to provide Indian and Canadian pcc.
Come on. You can do better.

It is 183 days, NOT 180.

AND the relevant time period is FOUR (4) years NOT five.

And citizenship applicants DO NOT need to submit a Canadian police certificate with their citizenship application.

Please at least try.

Moreover, your example fails to take into account the actual example, "Example 1," provided by IRCC in the help information for item 10b. That example, in the instructions, references living in France prior to landing rather than India, but otherwise it is spot on. For your example, if the applicant became a landed pr in 2016 and was living in India from 2014 to 2016, the applicant would NOT need to provide a police certificate from India IF the applicant provided a police certificate from India during the PR application process AND the applicant has NOT returned to India since landing and becoming a PR.

See full quotes from instructions, including example 1, in next post.

Reactions: bafonso

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
if any body has apply they said if you proved a police certificate before you came to canada you dont need to poroved anther one any body has idea
If in doubt, follow the instructions; otherwise, yep, follow the instructions.

Notwithstanding blatantly erroneous information posted by others, which is disheartening, the instructions regarding police certificates are straight-forward.

The primary question is simple enough, and is stated in item 10. b) in the current application CIT 0002 (02-2019), where it states:

b) In the past four (4) years, were you in a country or territory other than Canada for 183 days or more in a row (since the age of 18)?

Note, the relevant time period is the previous FOUR (4) YEARS, not five.

If your answer to this item is "no" you need consider it NO further. No further information needs to be provided in item 10. b) and no police certificate needs to be submitted.

If your answer to this item is "yes" you list the country or countries in the chart. And, with some exceptions, you need to include a police certificate from that country or countries.

The exceptions are fairly easy. Basically there are two exceptions: (1) impossibility (cannot obtain a clearance), and (2) clearance provided during PR process suffices.

Impossibility: If it is not possible to obtain such a police certificate, that is one of the exceptions; in this event you give an explanation for why a police certificate cannot be obtained. Remember, IRCC deals with immigrants from nearly every country or territory in the world and is well acquainted with whether or not an individual in Canada can obtain a police certificate from this or that country. Fact that it is difficult or inconvenient, even very difficult, does not rise to the level of NOT being able to obtain a clearance. (But not being able to obtain a clearance without traveling to the country will, I believe, be a sufficient reason for not submitting one.)

Clearance provided during PR process suffices: There are various scenarios in which this exception might apply.

The "Note" in the form's instructions states the usual scenario in which this exception applies:
Note: If you were in your country or territory of origin immediately prior to becoming a permanent resident and landing in Canada and this time falls within this four (4) year period, you are not required to provide a police certificate. Please indicate this in the explanation box.

This is mostly clear. Some may quibble about its precise meaning, but the safe approach depends on that time, the 180 days or more in row, being BEFORE landing and becoming a PR. If that was the time in that country, before landing, no need to include a police certificate. State something in the explanation box like "time was in HOME country prior to landing" and that should suffice.

There is another type of scenario which fits this exception and that is described in Example 1 in the instructions "help" (click on ? mark in application to open this; comparable information is also published in the Instruction Guide); it states:
Example 1
You lived in France for one year (365 days) before you became a permanent resident 3 years ago. You did not travel to France after you became a permanent resident. You would answer "Yes" to the question and you would need to provide a police certificate from France if you did not provide one with your immigration application. If you provided a police certificate from France with your immigration application, tell us this in the box provided at Question 10b.

This exception is consistent with another instruction in Item 10b which says that a police certificate will suffice if it has been issued since the last time the applicant was in that country, even if it was issued more than six months ago.

By the way, ALL adult immigrants (or nearly all anyway) needed to provide a police clearance with their PR application, so no just the fact of having done that does NOT mean no police certificate is needed.

CAVEAT: IRCC can always ask for a police certificate later in the process even if the applicant was not required to submit one with the application. If it is a close call, be as accurate as possible, and if no police certificate is required do not submit one. But the prudent applicant may proceed to obtain one from the other country to have just in case IRCC later requests it.

nanni_doc

Star Member
Jun 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
warsawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15 December 2014
Doc's Request.
13 May 2015
IELTS Request
submitted with application
File Transfer...
dont know
Med's Request
14 May 2015
Med's Done....
15 May 2015
Interview........
Third Line Update - 28 May 2015, DM/FLU - 25 June 2015
Passport Req..
7th July 2015; passports submitted: 7July 2015; Passports received back: 16 July 2015
VISA ISSUED...
26 june 2015
LANDED..........
Hopefully in November

It is 183 days, NOT 180.

And citizenship applicants DO NOT need to submit a Canadian police certificate with their citizenship application.

Please at least try.

Moreover, your example fails to take into account the actual example, "Example 1," provided by IRCC in the help information for item 10b. That example, in the instructions, references living in France prior to landing rather than India, but otherwise it is spot on. For your example, if the applicant became a landed pr in 2016 and was living in India from 2014 to 2016, the applicant would NOT need to provide a police certificate from India IF the applicant provided a police certificate from India during the PR application process AND the applicant has NOT returned to India since landing and becoming a PR.

So I said 180 instead of 183, SUE ME MOFO! Op clearly knows 183 or 185 or 189. I provided canadian pcc with my application and would you really take a chance of getting your application back because you didnt wanna go to a local rcmp office and pay 75 dollars ( again sue me if the amount isnt exactly 75)? I had provided my Indian pcc (as asked by IRCC at that time) and I did again for Citizenship application because there is of exact same reason provided earlier.

Instead of writing books where simple suggestions would suffice, stfu and get a life.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
In regards to RISK MANAGEMENT for a rather small (but not all that uncommon) number of applicants with what might be described as "close cases," in another topic once again posing a query similar to that posed by the OP here, I have further addressed a distinction which some may think is a matter of semantics, but it is at least an illustrative if not important distinction.

REMINDER: IRCC may request a police certificate later in the process even if a clearance was not required with the application.

Thus, the appropriate response to whether or not an applicant needs to obtain a police certificate is NOT just about whether the applicant needs to submit a police certificate with the application. The distinction is subtle. Some, as I said, will characterize the distinction as mere semantics and summarily dismiss it. But for a certain, small number of applicants it can have substantive implications . . . and for those applicants, particularly those interested in exercising a degree of RISK MANAGEMENT, so as to minimize the risk of delayed processing, the difference is worth taking into account.

DISTINCTION: The question often posed is "Do I have to get police certificate?" Many who ask this question are really asking whether they need to include a police certificate WITH their application.

The latter question is easy to answer. That answer is dictated by how the applicant answers item 10.b in the application. If "yes," then (with some exceptions) YES, the applicant needs to obtain and submit a police certificate WITH the application. If "no," then the applicant does NOT NEED to submit a police certificate WITH the application.

BUT that does NOT necessarily mean the applicant will not need to obtain and later submit a police certificate in order to have his or her application decided.

As I noted, I have addressed this further in another topic. Follow link in the following quote to see the full discussion:

CHANCE THERE WILL BE A LATER REQUEST FOR POLICE CLEARANCE; PART II:

There is no way of quantifying the odds, the chance, that despite legitimately checking "no" for Item 10.b an applicant will later be required to submit a police certificate.

However, there are a couple general and fairly obvious scenarios in which it is easy to foresee a significantly elevated risk of being asked for a police certificate:

-- IRCC identifies or perceives there may be some reason to question if the applicant has criminal charges or convictions in a particular country

-- IRCC apprehends or perceives the applicant to have been living or staying in a country for more than six consecutive months even if the applicant did not always stay in that country continuously during that time​

lossada

Sep 5, 2017

It is 183 days, NOT 180.

Please at least try.

Hi

English is not my maternal language,

I got confused. You need to provide a police certificate, the period is the last 4 years,,, what is the real meaning “since you were 18”. I was 18 in 1985, so I have to provide a police certificate since I was 18? Or just the 4-year period?

Or that is for those people that was not 18 in the 4-year period?

Thanks

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hi

English is not my maternal language,

I got confused. You need to provide a police certificate, the period is the last 4 years,,, what is the real meaning “since you were 18”. I was 18 in 1985, so I have to provide a police certificate since I was 18? Or just the 4-year period?

Or that is for those people that was not 18 in the 4-year period?

Thanks
You are quoting a post from a year ago. While not much has changed in regards to this particular aspect, be especially careful about older posts. Things do change rather often.

Regarding the language issue: if you are at all uncertain about the instructions, get help from someone YOU TRUST. You do not need a professional consultant for this. But you may need someone who is more fluent in English (or French) to help you better understand the instructions. YOU are responsible for what you submit and a failure to clearly understand the instructions is NOT an acceptable excuse.

For purposes of providing a police clearance with a citizenship application, what matters is whether or not the applicant has been in another country for six months or more within the last four years. If not, check [no] and do not include any police clearance.

Your age is not a factor in how you should respond.

Age will only be a factor for someone who has turned 18 within the preceding four years.

lossada

Sep 5, 2017
You are quoting a post from a year ago. While not much has changed in regards to this particular aspect, be especially careful about older posts. Things do change rather often.

Regarding the language issue: if you are at all uncertain about the instructions, get help from someone YOU TRUST. You do not need a professional consultant for this. But you may need someone who is more fluent in English (or French) to help you better understand the instructions. YOU are responsible for what you submit and a failure to clearly understand the instructions is NOT an acceptable excuse.

For purposes of providing a police clearance with a citizenship application, what matters is whether or not the applicant has been in another country for six months or more within the last four years. If not, check [no] and do not include any police clearance.

Your age is not a factor in how you should respond.

Age will only be a factor for someone who has turned 18 within the preceding four years.
thanks for your suggestions, that's why I asked for help.
I figured it out, but English sometimes is not very clear and primitive.
"Age will only be a factor for someone who has turned 18 within the preceding four years" = "In the past 4 years, ... (since you were 18)?"
thanks, I really appreciate it

arsal385

Oct 13, 2012
Dear all,
I have a quick query regarding requirement of Police certificate for Citizenship application.

My spouse and myself are going to apply for citizenship next week.

Prior to moving to Canada my wife was in her native country, so I believe she is exempted for submitting police certificate. Please state if this is correct?

Also, I was working in Saudi Arabia prior to moving to Canada, now the problem is that you can only get Police certificate if you are currently and physically present in Saudi Arabia. Off course, I am no longer living in Saudi Arabia, does it mean I am also exempted to provide Police certificate?

Please clarify?
Much appreciated.