+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police certificate, do i need a new one?

nataliafrance

Mar 24, 2015
Hello

I am getting ready to prepare a new application because it’s very likely the one I sent in May will be returned (forgot to check a box)..
I will be passed the 90 days timeframe so I will unfortunately have to resend a new application, which is now worrying for the police certificate.
Here is my question
.. if I have provided a police certificate which is recent (may 2019).. but then went to the US for a few days in June.. do you need to ask for NEW police certificate that was issued after the last time I visited the country.. or can i still used the one issued in May 2019 (regardless of when I went to the country last)?

Thanks!

hansiefer

Star Member
Aug 20, 2018
I would not resend a new application and pay the fees again. Since the initial application has already begun processing, you will only get a $100 refund. In addition, there in no "90 day timeframe". It could take longer for some applicants depending on the caseworker it has been assigned too or other variables.

For your police certificate, here is IRCC's guideline:(https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html)
"The police certificate must either have been issued:
  • after the last time you were in that country; or
  • no more than 6 months before the date you sign your citizenship application
Visit, How to get a police certificate for specific and up-to-date information on how to obtain police certificates from any country."

I suppose you can interpret "after the last time you were in that country" as "after the last time you were in the country for more than 183 days consecutively". Would you get away with it? Most possibly if you continue with your initial application.

If you're going to do a new application, I would perhaps date it before your recent trip to the states (as long as the date you put is within 6 months from when CIC will receive it) so that you wouldn't have to re-do your police certificate.

Reactions: nataliafrance