+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police Certificate - Citizenship

vabishek17

Mar 24, 2017
Hi Everyone,

Currently in the process of filling out the citizenship form. I am little confused as to if I need to submit a police certificate. I was working in the US on H1B from Feb 2016 to June 2019. Applied for PR in 2017 (provided FBI clearance certificate during the PR process) and did soft landing in Dec' 17. Stayed for a couple of days in Canada before going back to the US. Moved permanently to Canada in June 2019 and been here since then. Would this be considered as living in the country of origin before moving to Canada or do I need to get the FBI clearance certificate again?

TIA!

adigautam

Jan 3, 2016
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
16-12-2015
Doc's Request.
28-03-2017
Nomination.....
08-05-2017
AOR Received.
15-02-2017
IELTS Request
Awaiting
File Transfer...
Awaiting
Med's Request
Awaiting
Med's Done....
Awaiting
Interview........
Awaiting
Passport Req..
Awaiting
VISA ISSUED...
Awaiting
LANDED..........
Awaiting
Hi Everyone,

Currently in the process of filling out the citizenship form. I am little confused as to if I need to submit a police certificate. I was working in the US on H1B from Feb 2016 to June 2019. Applied for PR in 2017 (provided FBI clearance certificate during the PR process) and did soft landing in Dec' 17. Stayed for a couple of days in Canada before going back to the US. Moved permanently to Canada in June 2019 and been here since then. Would this be considered as living in the country of origin before moving to Canada or do I need to get the FBI clearance certificate again?

TIA!
Yes, as per the citizenship application, if you have lived any country for more than ~185 days in past 4 years, you need to get the PCC, irrespective of any country or status you had in that country.

By the way, when I was reading your post, for a moment I thought when did I post this question , your & my timelines are exactly same. I recently submitted my citizenship application and I did get the FBI PCC.

vabishek17

Mar 24, 2017
Yes, as per the citizenship application, if you have lived any country for more than ~185 days in past 4 years, you need to get the PCC, irrespective of any country or status you had in that country.

By the way, when I was reading your post, for a moment I thought when did I post this question , your & my timelines are exactly same. I recently submitted my citizenship application and I did get the FBI PCC.
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking of getting it just to be safe, now I will go ahead and apply for it.

adigautam

Jan 3, 2016
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
16-12-2015
Doc's Request.
28-03-2017
Nomination.....
08-05-2017
AOR Received.
15-02-2017
IELTS Request
Awaiting
File Transfer...
Awaiting
Med's Request
Awaiting
Med's Done....
Awaiting
Interview........
Awaiting
Passport Req..
Awaiting
VISA ISSUED...
Awaiting
LANDED..........
Awaiting
Mar 8, 2021
6 months on the date your citizenship application is received.
Thanks. I had put this query to IRCC also and got their confirmation as well.

The police certificate must have been issued:
after the last time you were in that country, or no more than 6 months before the date you sign your citizenship application, and is typically valid for one year from the date it is issued. If you were in your country of origin immediately before becoming a permanent resident and landing in Canada and this time falls within this four year period, you are not required to provide a police certificate. Please indicate this in the explanation box.

iceman55

May 1, 2022
Thanks. I had put this query to IRCC also and got their confirmation as well.

The police certificate must have been issued:
after the last time you were in that country, or no more than 6 months before the date you sign your citizenship application, and is typically valid for one year from the date it is issued. If you were in your country of origin immediately before becoming a permanent resident and landing in Canada and this time falls within this four year period, you are not required to provide a police certificate. Please indicate this in the explanation box.
where do you see one year? can you please share the link

iceman55

May 1, 2022
No idea. Need to find my FBI clearance certificate for PR application from 5 years back to see if it had an expiry date
FBI Record Checks always state the date on which the report was run and that it's the status as of that date. They don't set an expiry. They cannot guarantee you won't commit a crime the following day or for any length of period.

The expiry is specified by the accepting agency (in this case IRCC) for practical purposes and it's always six months - according to the IRCC citizenship website.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/apply-permanent-residence/police-certificates.html

But if you haven't reentered the US after getting the report you should be able to use it irrespective of the time passed - that's the assumption from their website (if you haven't been to the US after obtaining the report, there's zero chance you would have any new criminal records in the US after that date).

But if you want to be sure you can always get another one.

vin2019

Jan 22, 2019

Can you please let me know the process for getting FBI PCC from canada? how did you get the fingerprint card done?

vabishek17

Mar 24, 2017
Can you please let me know the process for getting FBI PCC from canada? how did you get the fingerprint card done?
Applied online on the FBI website. Had to send fingerprints via courier. You can get the fingerprints done at your local police department office or you can try to find private fingerprinting services around you. Both places charged more or less same where I live.

sathwik-c

Apr 27, 2022
Applied online on the FBI website. Had to send fingerprints via courier. You can get the fingerprints done at your local police department office or you can try to find private fingerprinting services around you. Both places charged more or less same where I live.
can you tell how long it took for you to get FBI PCC. I applied online and fingerprint card delivered on 16th Feb. appreciate your response

kanon

Jun 17, 2016
can you tell how long it took for you to get FBI PCC. I applied online and fingerprint card delivered on 16th Feb. appreciate your response
Did you get your FBI PCC? If so, what day?

I mailed my fingerprint card on Feb. 21st and still waiting.