+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police Certificate at the time of Citizenship

PMV

Star Member
Mar 21, 2016
Hello all,

I am aware CIC's website mentions a police certificate needs to be furnished at the time of citizenship, if a PR visits a particular country for 183 days or more consecutively.

However to be prudent and safe, I have the following query which is my case:

What about a scenario where a PR visits their home country (India) twice since they became a permanent resident?

- I became a PR in 2018 and had submitted a PCC with my application at the time.

- My first trip back to India was in 2020 for consecutive 30 days and the second trip in 2021 (I'm stranded in India currently due to flight ban) might hopefully total consecutive 170 days and not more.

- In such a scenario when I apply for citizenship in December, do I need to submit a PCC from India?

Thanks in advance!

navid2014

Jul 9, 2014
Hello all,

I am aware CIC's website mentions a police certificate needs to be furnished at the time of citizenship, if a PR visits a particular country for 183 days or more consecutively.

However to be prudent and safe, I have the following query which is my case:

What about a scenario where a PR visits their home country (India) twice since they became a permanent resident?

- I became a PR in 2018 and had submitted a PCC with my application at the time.

- My first trip back to India was in 2020 for consecutive 30 days and the second trip in 2021 (I'm stranded in India currently due to flight ban) might hopefully total consecutive 170 days and not more.

- In such a scenario when I apply for citizenship in December, do I need to submit a PCC from India?

Thanks in advance!
PCC is not applicable for you, as you have not spent 183 days or more in a row so you dont need to furnish PCC with your Citizenship application.

Look at below Example which was pointed out in the guide,

Example 3

In the past 4 years, you took 10 trips to the United States of America (USA). Each trip lasted 3 weeks, for a total of 210 days. You would answer “No” to the question and you would not need to provide a police certificate from the USA because you did not spend 183 days or more in a row in the USA.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html

Reactions: PMV