+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Points from Foreign Experience

movecanada2019

Oct 25, 2018
Hi Guys,

I wanted your opinion on a situation. I'm currently done with prerequisite of IELTS exam and WES evaluation of my masters and bachelors degree and in the process of applying for FSW. I'm working on getting the experience letters from my previous and current employer before transmitting my application.

After reading lot of your experiences, I've understood that experience letters from past and current employers are preferred. In my case, my current employer is ready to provide letter for whom I've worked for past 3.5 years under the NOC 2171 category A. I'll be applying in the same category.

However, I don't have any experience letter from my previous employer where I also worked under the same NOC for an year. The management didn't like my switch and aren't sharing the letter. I have an offer letter and paystubs for my tenure there.

I wanted to understand if I should remove this experience from professional category and put it under personal experience to avoid scrutiny. Comment?

Will there be any points difference from 3.5 years experience at the current employer or 4.5 years joint experience for the same NOC?

While doing initial points calculation, it seemed like Express Entry FSW program care about maximum 3+ years of experience for the NOC it is applied for. In that case, the letter from the previous employer shouldn't be a big deal?

Any inputs are highly appreciated.

Thank you!

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
You don't need to get the other letter since anything more than 3 years is redundant. Don't mention the older experience in your EE profile. Then, when you your ITA, include the older experience in the 'personal details' section only.

Reactions: movecanada2019

movecanada2019

Oct 25, 2018
Thanks for the input. What you meant is in the work history tab in the express entry profile just mention the current role that has been more than 3 years?

I've worked in the past for 3 employers other than my current company. Will all of the prior experience go to Personal details section that is included during ITA and nothing in work history of Express entry profile?

I did receive experience letters from other 2 companies in their respective formats after completion my tenure there.

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Thanks for the input. What you meant is in the work history tab in the express entry profile just mention the current role that has been more than 3 years?

I've worked in the past for 3 employers other than my current company. Will all of the prior experience go to Personal details section that is included during ITA and nothing in work history of Express entry profile?

I did receive experience letters from other 2 companies in their respective formats after completion my tenure there.
Anything you put in work history section requires reference letter. Anything you move to personal history does not require reference letter. Where you put those experiences is totally your discretion.

But as stated above anything more than 3+ years of experience is useless from CRS points perspective. So you can decide based on your personal preference.

movecanada2019

Oct 25, 2018
Thanks for your response. I believe it makes sense to detail only my current work experience since the points won't get affected.

Will there be a problem or questions related to professional employment gaps other than breaks for full time education?

Second, what if my Masters degree specialization is different from the NOC requirement?
NOC only requires bachelor degree but to get education points I have certified from WES on my masters degree.

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Thanks for your response. I believe it makes sense to detail only my current work experience since the points won't get affected.

Will there be a problem or questions related to professional employment gaps other than breaks for full time education?

Second, what if my Masters degree specialization is different from the NOC requirement?
NOC only requires bachelor degree but to get education points I have certified from WES on my masters degree.
No

Only job description matters ... Education and NOC have no relation unless its a regulated profession like a Doctor, Lawyer etc.

movecanada2019

Oct 25, 2018
Thank you for clarifying.

I'm assuming the content of the experience reference letter is the only way to validate the NOC for the visa officer to make a decision. Please comment?

Is there a way to decide and confirm on NOC other than CIC website?
I've a title, Business Intelligence Analyst, that's not mentioned in the list. However, the job description matches somehow whats written for 2171, Information Analysts and Consultants.

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Thank you for clarifying.

I'm assuming the content of the experience reference letter is the only way to validate the NOC for the visa officer to make a decision. Please comment?

Is there a way to decide and confirm on NOC other than CIC website?
I've a title, Business Intelligence Analyst, that's not mentioned in the list. However, the job description matches somehow whats written for 2171, Information Analysts and Consultants.
Again job titles don't matter. Only job duties matter. And CIC website is the only source for NOC codes. 2171 is right code for you.

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
Just would like to add a quick footnote here.
Removing that last work experience from "Work History" section to claim just 3 years worth of CRS points is fine, because CRS max out at 3 years indeed.
However, it will only give you 11 eligibility points, instead of a potential 13 points for 4 years.
So if you're comfortable above 67/100, by all means just leave that one work experience, and the other one under personal history as @cansha stated.

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Removing that last work experience from "Work History" section to claim just 3 years worth of CRS points is fine, because CRS max out at 3 years indeed.
However, it will only give you 11 eligibility points, instead of a potential 13 points for 4 years.
So if you're comfortable above 67/100, by all means just leave that one work experience, and the other one under personal history as @cansha stated.
That is a very good point!! Not only CRS check FSW score as well. or simple just upload all you have as you already have the reference letters.

In my personal opinion, I would change my application from ITA stage to submission stage is ONLY IF I didn't have some documentation. If I had documentation I would keep it as close to my application at ITA as possible.

movecanada2019

Oct 25, 2018

I appreciate your feedback. I didn't know that I need to qualify for both Express Entry and FSW points cutoff to get an ITA. Is that the right understanding? How does it work?

Also, I tried calculating points for FSW and got more than 67 including 3 years of current work experience plus spouse points. However, FSW wants me to convert my IELTS to CLB. I couldn't find conversion calculator on CIC website. I used this portal to do it. Will this be accurate?
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-language-converter.html

Thank you

Last edited:

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
I appreciate your feedback. I didn't know that I need to qualify for both Express Entry and FSW points cutoff to get an ITA. Is that the right understanding? How does it work?

Also, I tried calculating points for FSW and got more than 67 including 3 years of current work experience plus spouse points. However, FSW wants me to convert my IELTS to CLB. I couldn't find conversion calculator on CIC website. I used this portal to do it. Will this be accurate?
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-language-converter.html

Thank you
Yes you do need to check both point scales to see where you stand:
-67/100 minimum eligibility points. This is were you know if you're eligible or not, regardless of how awesome your CRS is.
Info Link: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/federal-skilled-workers/six-selection-factors-federal-skilled-workers.html
-And then you check CRS points. But for this, you won't know if you meet the cut-off until the draw of candidates is made. Last one for example was 440.
Info Link1: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/criteria-comprehensive-ranking-system/grid.html
Info Link2: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp

So, like I said before, CRS points for work experience max out at 3 years, but FSW eligibility points max out at 6 years.

Here is official link for converting to CLB scale.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/standard-requirements/language-requirements/test-equivalency-charts.html

movecanada2019

Oct 25, 2018
Great. I used the same link to determine my eligibility for FSW and getting over 67 after doing the CLB scale conversion what you shared.

In summary, I need over 67 in FSW score (there isn't any cutoff here, just have to get eligible?) and meet the new cutoff in the next draw after I submit my profile in the Express Entry.

Is there any difference or preference between applicants who have FSW score of 68 or 90; and both meeting cutoff in Express entry next draw?

This will help me in deciding whether I need to fight to get work experience letters from previous employer to get more points.

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
Great. I used the same link to determine my eligibility for FSW and getting over 67 after doing the CLB scale conversion what you shared.

In summary, I need over 67 in FSW score (there isn't any cutoff here, just have to get eligible?) and meet the new cutoff in the next draw after I submit my profile in the Express Entry.

Is there any difference or preference between applicants who have FSW score of 68 or 90; and both meeting cutoff in Express entry next draw?

This will help me in deciding whether I need to fight to get work experience letters from previous employer to get more points.
Yes the minimum in FSW points is 67, it's not a cut off that changes unlike CRS cutoff.
As long as you have above 67/100, everyone is the same. No preference between the one who has 67, and the one who has 100.
But the higher your CRS, the higher your chances of getting invited. But in your case, your CRS won't change even if you add more experience years above 3 years.

Last edited:

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......

This is indeed the right approach.
If you're okay in terms of eligibility with just 3 years of work XP, you're good to go my friend.
Too many people forget about eligibility points, and focus solely on CRS.