+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Points for "Relatives in Canada" for Express Entry

Rakhi5556

Feb 7, 2020
Hi People,

I have an Uncle (Canadian Citizen) in Canada and he is my father's cousin. My Uncle's father and my father's father are own brothers.

Can I claim 5 points for this for Express Entry?

Feb 23, 2019
Couple of days ago I’ve explained what shall one do in cases alike. However, my posts were deleted - to keep people in the unknown. I’ll say one of the things that may be useful for you, and I hope this will not be removed: never, under any circumstances, do not apply for Federal Skilled Worker under Express Entry stream from out of Canada. If you do differently, please come back to this forum and share with us how much did it really cost you not to listen to this advice.

alfred0

Feb 10, 2015
Toronto
Only your siblings can get you the siblings points, not relatives like cousin, nephew, etc.

These siblings have the same father and mother as yours

It's 15 points, not 5

Points for siblings in Canada

You can now earn 15 additional points if you (or your spouse or common-law partner who will come with you to Canada) have a brother or sister who is:

• living in Canada and
  • a citizen or permanent resident of Canada
To get these points, the brother or sister must also be

• 18 years old or older
  • related by blood, marriage, common-law partnership or adoption
  • have a parent in common

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi People,

I have an Uncle (Canadian Citizen) in Canada and he is my father's cousin. My Uncle's father and my father's father are own brothers.

First, he is your more distant cousin, not your uncle.

Second, no CRS points for a cousin or an uncle.

mikko008

Feb 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Visa Office......
Vancouver
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
13-OCT-2016
Doc's Request.
4-NOV-2016
Nomination.....
10-NOV-2016
AOR Received.
13-APR-2017
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
Unknown
Med's Request
01-03-2018
Med's Done....
05-03-2018
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Not Yet
VISA ISSUED...
Not Yet
LANDED..........
Not Yet (Inland Applicant)
Hi People,

No it won't give you five points under the Adaptability factor of the Federal Skilled Worker Class selection grid (the 67 point one). In order to claim the 5 points for Canadian relatives, this relative must be a:
  • parent
  • grandparent
  • child
  • grandchild
  • your or your spouse’s sibling (child of your or your spouse’s parent)
  • your or your spouse’s aunt or uncle (by blood or marriage)
  • your or your spouse’s niece or nephew (grandchild of your or your spouse’s parent)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi People,

No

Harlan

Nov 28, 2018
Hi

I have my uncle (Mother's brother) who is a Canadian citizen residing in Canada. I have not claimed points in my EE profile. Can i claim points for my uncle in my OINP application?

Azeus

Oct 14, 2019
No it won't give you five points under the Adaptability factor of the Federal Skilled Worker Class selection grid (the 67 point one). In order to claim the 5 points for Canadian relatives, this relative must be a:
  • parent
  • grandparent
  • child
  • grandchild
  • your or your spouse’s sibling (child of your or your spouse’s parent)
  • your or your spouse’s aunt or uncle (by blood or marriage)
  • your or your spouse’s niece or nephew (grandchild of your or your spouse’s parent)
Hi, Can I get the source of this information, please..

hardikacharyaame06

Aug 7, 2013
India
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13 August 2013
AOR Received.
13 August 2013

Dec 21, 2020
My aunt (mother's sister) is deceased. She was Canadian citizen. My uncle and my cousins are Canadian Citizen. Do i mention YES or NO in the IRCC profile Q10 with respect to family in Canada, i.e, if I have .brother or sister living in Canada who is a Canadian citizen or PR?

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
My aunt (mother's sister) is deceased. She was Canadian citizen. My uncle and my cousins are Canadian Citizen. Do i mention YES or NO in the IRCC profile Q10 with respect to family in Canada, i.e, if I have .brother or sister living in Canada who is a Canadian citizen or PR?
You can't answer yes since you don't have a brother or sister there.

Reactions: 269

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
i have my cousins here too. The drop down option says Aunt/Uncle but does not have option for cousins.
There is a difference though. There are EE points (that indicate whether you qualify to have an eligible EE profile that will be considered) and then there are CRS points. Having an uncle or aunt will not get you any CRS points but having siblings will (CRS points are the ones that get you the ITA). The cousins won't even get you EE eligibility points I believe.

YVR0601

Oct 19, 2023
There is a difference though. There are EE points (that indicate whether you qualify to have an eligible EE profile that will be considered) and then there are CRS points. Having an uncle or aunt will not get you any CRS points but having siblings will (CRS points are the ones that get you the ITA). The cousins won't even get you EE eligibility points I believe.
If uncles/aunts/nephews don't get us any points do we still have to declare them as it would as for proof of relationship and that would be difficult to prove