+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

POINT OF LANDING....

Sir K

Star Member
Mar 16, 2009
Seniors,
Please I will be landing early August; My destination is Calgary, a family of Four. My problem is that the agent that i used to secure Flight ticket for me booked a flight that will land in Montreal (Air Maroc). He now booked another local connecting flight from Montreal to Calgary. I had already paid him and he said the bookings has been confirmed. Can we complete the landing process in Montreal? I don't speak french and that's no my destination. Should I ask for a refund and book a direct flight to Calgary? Seniors pls Help.....

mediajunkie

Star Member
Sep 2, 2009
Most people in Montreal are bilingual and can speak and understand English perfectly well. There are people who are born and raised in Montreal that don't speak a word of French.

There are very few direct international flights going direct to Calgary other than flights from the United States because Calgary isn't a major international airport. Most likely you will have to change planes in either Toronto, Vancouver or Montreal and transfer on a domestic flight to Calgary. Since your paperwork is processed at immigration checkpoints as you enter Canada and Montreal/Quebec uses a different system I am not sure whether you should be going through Montreal. Try to see if you agent can get you to transit between either Vancouver or Toronto instead.

CharlotteJ

Jul 31, 2009
You have to show the immigration officers in Montreal that you are passing through and shall complete your landing process in Calgary being your port of entry.

Bear in mind that Montreal (Quebec) has a different procedeeings. You better cancel the flight and I suggest you better buy a direct flight from wherever you fly out to Calgary or at least via Toronto where you can finish the process of first landing.

You can use the complexibility of this port of entry issues as an excuse to cancel and re-book another flight and in order to have a full refund, you can use this very important issue as courtesy and be good.

Why don't you book your own flights? Believe me, you are better off booking your own flights if you take time and go on research and check on different airliners and subscribe to their newsletters and promotions or become member and be cheaper than booking through an agent. Believe me, I 've been there in that field and most clients are paying more than it really takes to get from A to B!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

CharlotteJ said:
You have to show the immigration officers in Montreal that you are passing through and shall complete your landing process in Calgary being your port of entry.

Bear in mind that Montreal (Quebec) has a different procedeeings. You better cancel the flight and I suggest you better buy a direct flight from wherever you fly out to Calgary or at least via Toronto where you can finish the process of first landing.

You can use the complexibility of this port of entry issues as an excuse to cancel and re-book another flight and in order to have a full refund, you can use this very important issue as courtesy and be good.

Why don't you book your own flights? Believe me, you are better off booking your own flights if you take time and go on research and check on different airliners and subscribe to their newsletters and promotions or become member and be cheaper than booking through an agent. Believe me, I 've been there in that field and most clients are paying more than it really takes to get from A to B!
1. Sorry wrong. The OP has proof of onward transportation so s/he will be "landed" at Montreal. You "land" at the first international stop in Canada.

Sir K

Star Member
Mar 16, 2009
Many thanks to you all for the prompt response. PPM, I quite did not follow your response, are you saying it does not matter where I land first? I don't want to make a mistake that I can avert now.
Thanks

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Sir K said:
Many thanks to you all for the prompt response. PPM, I quite did not follow your response, are you saying it does not matter where I land first? I don't want to make a mistake that I can avert now.
Thanks
You can "land" in Quebec, as long as you have onward flights.

Sir K

Star Member
Mar 16, 2009
Thanks PPM,
That means as long as I have a valid air ticket from Montreal to Calgary no problem.
But it means all the necessary declaration at the customs and immigration will be done in Montreal, thats where they will check my papers and ask about my forwarding address for PR?..........

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Sir K said:
Thanks PPM,
That means as long as I have a valid air ticket from Montreal to Calgary no problem.
But it means all the necessary declaration at the customs and immigration will be done in Montreal, thats where they will check my papers and ask about my forwarding address for PR?..........
Yes

Sir K

Star Member
Mar 16, 2009
Hi

Quote from: Pinaymom on March 19, 2007, 07:07:50 pm
hello! when i was applying, i indicated toronto as my place of destination in our application... my hubby's cousin lived there but has moved to the states..

we are lucky to have established contacts in vancouver, and are now planning to settle there when we land sometime june/july this year...

our copr indicates toronto as the place of destination.. will that pose a problem? our application was under the federal skilled worker...

thanks in advance!!

As long as it not Quebec and not as a PNP you will be fine.

PMM
PPM, I got this(above quote) from one of your previous discussions on the forum. Guess i'm in the clear now.

Sir K

Star Member
Mar 16, 2009
Hi,
I was able to change my flight ticket yesterday, the first flight will now take us to Toronto (Pearson) and from there we can take another flight to Calgary. I guess we do not need to pre-purchase the flight ticket for Toronto to Calgary? We can get that after landing?

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
It was completely unnecessary to change your flight. I hope you weren't charged any money for it. You can land in Quebec even w/o CSQ as long as you have proof of onward travel elsewhere in Canada. Don't be afraid to land in Quebec if you don't speak French, CBSA will have plenty of Anglophone agents on hand to assist you.

Reactions: astralsource

Sir K

Star Member
Mar 16, 2009
thanks a lot, I wasnt charged for it (negligible), that will even even give us a day or two to stay in Toronto to visit some friends.
Cheers

the_nick24

Star Member
Mar 23, 2017
Hi @ppm
Thanks for resolving critical queries for us. I have one too..

In my CoPR LETTER, the destination is mentioned as Vancouver.my plans have changed now and I want to settle in Toronto. Can I land and settle in Toronto? Is it ok to do that?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hi @ppm
Thanks for resolving critical queries for us. I have one too..

In my CoPR LETTER, the destination is mentioned as Vancouver.my plans have changed now and I want to settle in Toronto. Can I land and settle in Toronto? Is it ok to do that?
A polite comment but you should have created a new thread/question and not appended to a 7 year old thread.

Were you approved on a PNP given if you were it would at least be expected that you land in the province that sponsored you. Once landed you can go wherever you want in the country, just that initial landing should really be the sponsoring province else you may well get a lot of grief from CBSA if cannot show any intent for onward travel to the sponsoring province..

Of course depending on where someone is flying from it is not always possible to get a direct flight so they have to transit through some other city/province where they must complete their landing at the first point of entry, showing to CBSA intent to complete onward travel.,

Once landed what they do once they leave the immigration and customs areas is up to them, either continue with the onward travel or simply exit and stay put keeping in mind the process for the PR cards to be mailed.

Last edited:

NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009
It's been a while, but I do not recall the Clearing agents caring about what my final destination was or what I did after clearing into Canada. I cleared in Vancouver, stayed in Vancouver for a few days, then drove to another city where I stayed for a while and then on to my final destination a few weeks later. It be worth mentioning that I did not even have PR status, I came on a workpermit to begin with. I imagine this process would be easier with PR status.

My understanding was that the first point of entry in Canada will be the point where you clear into the country. You have to have all your immigration paperwork with you at that airport. Since you have paperwork to enter Canada, what happens beyond that is not something they need to care about at clearing and first entry.

Also expecting to stay in transit and then clearing in a different city than you landed originally will not work. You will be coming in on an international flight, and moving forward on a domestic flight. Different clearing rules apply between domestic and international.

Remember you are not a visitor you are becoming a resident. Not like you need an itinerary to enter the country. You just need the right immigration paperwork off of your international incoming flight.

Goof luck. It is stressful but will probably prove simpler than you think.