+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

POF funds for family of 3 and not all travel together

fatehelps

Star Member
Apr 19, 2015
Dear immigration experts,

I'm planning to apply under Express Entry - FSW category after Dec 2015 (My work experience completes four years in end Nov 2015). I have been married for almost a year now and expecting a baby next month. So about 3 people are planning to immigrate to Canada, once I get through Visa process. But in the initial phase, I will be the only person travelling to Canada. My wife and baby would take minimum 6 months - 1 year to travel, after my departure to Canada.

My question is as follows:
Since I am the only person planning to travel firstly, should I apply as a sole applicant and show funds for 1 person, ie., 11931 CAD? and later make application for my family and show POF for other 2 people, ie., 14853 CAD when they are planning to travel.

Or wholly family and I would consist of 3 members anyway, should I need to show funds for 3 people, ie., 18260 CAD, though only I travel initially and later my family.

Please help me with your relevant answers.

Regards,
fatehelps.

betorocks

Star Member
Oct 29, 2014
Regardless if your family is travelling with you or not, you have to show POF for the 3 of you.

check this:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/funds.asp

It says:

You must be able to use this money to pay the costs of living for your family (even if they are not coming with you).

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
Additionally, the rest of your family must arrive in Canada before expiry of medicals (1 year from date they are done) or their visa will expire and you will have to sponsor them and apply all over again.

blackbeast

Star Member
Jul 18, 2014
so lets say i completed my medicals today & get my visa after 2 months. what is the maximum allowed time to step into canada before i get ineligible?

also, can you please share the website where it says about the 1 year before medical completion date?

thanks!!

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
I am sure you can do a search for more information but this will help
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/step-by-step-processing-of-fsw-application-by-cio-and-vo-t137628.0.html

Each Permanent Resident Visa is valid for 1 year from the date of the Medical exam or until the expiration of the passport. The Validity of the PR visa from the date of medical exam refers to the first exam completed (either principal applicant or dependent). The principal applicant and each accompanying dependent must make their official landing in Canada before the PR visa expires. Failure to land before the expiration of your visa will void the visa and will then result in the necessity of a new application. The validity date of the Visa cannot be extended.