+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PNP Work permit support letter without nomination

crazyfin

Sep 6, 2021
I thought that flagpoling would be faster as the processing time for work permits online is about 136 days and I want to travel soon. But it didn’t cross my mind that my application would be refused because of the AOR as it is not stated anywhere online.
Now I think I have no other options except to apply online but was afraid that my application would be refused for the same reason, but since you mentioned that the AOR is not needed for the online application, so I guess it should be fine ( hopefully).
seems good news for you!
you can apply for the new open work permit soon!
forget about the closed wp!!!

Reactions: lel2018

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
seems good news for you!
you can apply for the new open work permit soon!
forget about the closed wp!!!
I still cannot for the life of me understand why OP tried to flagpole this and why he hasn't applied for the closed work permit properly online. It takes barely an hour. Probably makes sense to wait for the open work permit program now too, so blessing in disguise.

shanew

Jan 16, 2022
Category........
PNP
Job Offer........
Yes
Some Work Permit Support Letters expire six (6) months after the date of nomination (Similarly to the Confirmation of Nomination). - Check yours if it says something along the lines of "This letter must be used in support for a work permit application within six months to remain valid."
If you applied for a new Work Permit after the expiration date, they will require an AOR or Nomination Extension Letter.
The idea I get from your statement "The thing is I was working under my PGWP, but it is expiring soon." Is that you did not apply for a new closed work permit when you got your nomination. (Let me know if this is the case.)
If this is the case, my advice is to contact your Nomination Office ASAP and find out if you can get a Nomination Extension, if yes, explain your situation to them.

PS: The reason why most people don't have this experience is because they applied prior to their nomination expiration date.

Regards,
S

Last edited:

lel2018

Jun 18, 2018
Some Work Permit Support Letters expire six (6) months after the date of nomination (Similarly to the Confirmation of Nomination). - Check yours if it says something along the lines of "This letter must be used in support for a work permit application within six months to remain valid."
If you applied for a new Work Permit after the expiration date, they will require an AOR or Nomination Extension Letter.
The idea I get from your statement "The thing is I was working under my PGWP, but it is expiring soon." Is that you did not apply for a new closed work permit when you got your nomination. (Let me know if this is the case.)
If this is the case, my advice is to contact your Nomination Office ASAP and find out if you can get a Nomination Extension, if yes, explain your situation to them.

PS: The reason why most people don't have this experience is because they applied prior to their nomination expiration date.

Regards,
S
Thank you for your response. Yes, that is exactly what happened, I never applied for it before because I was still on my PGWP. But I never read anywhere that I need an AOR if I have a work permit supporting letter; the supporting letter itself doesn't have an expiry date only the nomination, even when I contacted the BC PNP office they didn't mention this requirement, and logically why would I need to apply for a closed work permit if I have an AOR and am eligible for a BOWP, it doesn't make sense, so it didn't cross my mind before I went to the borders.

shanew

Jan 16, 2022
Category........
PNP
Job Offer........
Yes
Thank you for your response. Yes, that is exactly what happened, I never applied for it before because I was still on my PGWP. But I never read anywhere that I need an AOR if I have a work permit supporting letter; the supporting letter itself doesn't have an expiry date only the nomination, even when I contacted the BC PNP office they didn't mention this requirement, and logically why would I need to apply for a closed work permit if I have an AOR and am eligible for a BOWP, it doesn't make sense, so it didn't cross my mind before I went to the borders.
Oh I see. My Work Permit Support Letter has an expiration. Well at this point, I still recommend speaking to the Nominee Program Staff to find out your options. Applying again will cost you and you are not sure if they'll regect once more (Without an extension letter). I wish you all the best and I hope you get through. Keep us updated.

Regards
S

shanew

Jan 16, 2022
Category........
PNP
Job Offer........
Yes
Oh I see. My Work Permit Support Letter has an expiration. Well at this point, I still recommend speaking to the Nominee Program Staff to find out your options. Applying again will cost you and you are not sure if they'll regect once more (Without an extension letter). I wish you all the best and I hope you get through. Keep us updated.

Regards
S
Also, this is a bit confusing "and logically why would I need to apply for a closed work permit if I have an AOR and am eligible for a BOWP, it doesn't make sense, so it didn't cross my mind before I went to the borders." So do you have an AOR or not? Is this what they requested?

lel2018

Jun 18, 2018
Also, this is a bit confusing "and logically why would I need to apply for a closed work permit if I have an AOR and am eligible for a BOWP, it doesn't make sense, so it didn't cross my mind before I went to the borders." So do you have an AOR or not? Is this what they requested?
The officer told me that I can’t apply before getting the AOR, and that I can apply again after receiving it (I didn‘t have an AOR). But if I had an AOR I‘d be eligible for a BOWP, which is better to have than the Closed permit that you get with the supporting letter. So if I had an AOR, I‘d not think about applying for a work permit with the supporting letter.

shanew

Jan 16, 2022
Category........
PNP
Job Offer........
Yes
The officer told me that I can’t apply before getting the AOR, and that I can apply again after receiving it (I didn‘t have an AOR). But if I had an AOR I‘d be eligible for a BOWP, which is better to have than the Closed permit that you get with the supporting letter. So if I had an AOR, I‘d not think about applying for a work permit with the supporting letter.
Ok I see, yeah I think all transactions after Nomination Expiration requires AOR, as that proves that you applied for permanent residency during the eligibility period, but persons aren't getting AORs til like a year or so after they submitted their applications.
Did you try contacting the Nominee Program Office?

Regards,
S

lel2018

Jun 18, 2018
Ya, they told me „We are unable to answer your query as it is outside our purview“ and IRCC never answered my emails or calls so I lost hope in getting it.
Thankfully the new rules for the PGWP extension came in the perfect time for me, so I guess I can extend my PGWP after it expires. I hope no body face the original issue in the future, because with the current processing time for the on paper applications it can cause many troubles without a possible solution.

shanew

Jan 16, 2022
Category........
PNP
Job Offer........
Yes
Ya, they told me „We are unable to answer your query as it is outside our purview“ and IRCC never answered my emails or calls so I lost hope in getting it.
Thankfully the new rules for the PGWP extension came in the perfect time for me, so I guess I can extend my PGWP after it expires. I hope no body face the original issue in the future, because with the current processing time for the on paper applications it can cause many troubles without a possible solution.
I am happy that there is a solution for you.
And I agree, this is a very difficult spot and I hope none of us have to go through it.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Regards,
S

shanew

Jan 16, 2022
Category........
PNP
Job Offer........
Yes
I am happy that there is a solution for you.
And I agree, this is a very difficult spot and I hope none of us have to go through it.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Regards,
S
OK, just for the purpose of other readers I did a quick search through my documents as I was certain I saw this somewhere. I found it in imm5488. This guide is specifically for work permit application made outside Canada (True for most of us) and may not apply to applications made in Canada. "If your nomination Certificate expired, you must include a copy of the acknowledgement letter confirming that IRCC received your application for permanent residence before the nomination expired.":
https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/pdf/kits/forms/imm5488e.pdf

Regards,
S

Mar 13, 2023
i am currently on implied status after I applied for work permit extension before my work permit expired. I received provincial nomination and work permit support letter from the province of NB and now getting ready to apply for PR and work permit. At the time when i applied for work permit extension, i had not received provincial nomination yet, so at some point that application will be refused, but my goal was to buy some time in order to get nominated by the province.

Am I okay to apply for PR and another work permit while on implied status? Can i keep working once I apply? Is it possible to cancel my other work permit application?
Just to mention, I am applying through skilled worker stream with employer support and employer paid $230 compliance fee already.

Thanks for replying!

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
i am currently on implied status after I applied for work permit extension before my work permit expired. I received provincial nomination and work permit support letter from the province of NB and now getting ready to apply for PR and work permit. At the time when i applied for work permit extension, i had not received provincial nomination yet, so at some point that application will be refused, but my goal was to buy some time in order to get nominated by the province.

Am I okay to apply for PR and another work permit while on implied status? Can i keep working once I apply? Is it possible to cancel my other work permit application?
Just to mention, I am applying through skilled worker stream with employer support and employer paid $230 compliance fee already.

Thanks for replying!
You realize that applying full-well-knowing that you're not eligible for a work permit extension by abusing implied status is misrepresentation and disrespecting immigration regulations?

Are you actually meaning to tell us you applied for an extension of your work permit BEFORE you even got the work permit support letter? If so, prepare to be refused and potentially banned from holding a work permit for 6 months. You're only meant to apply for it after knowingly meeting eligibility factors - this the same as applying for common-law 8 months into the relationship know that they'll process your application 6 months later.

If I misinterpreted please ignore.

Reactions: shanew

shanew

Jan 16, 2022
Category........
PNP
Job Offer........
Yes
You realize that applying full-well-knowing that you're not eligible for a work permit extension by abusing implied status is misrepresentation and disrespecting immigration regulations?

Are you actually meaning to tell us you applied for an extension of your work permit BEFORE you even got the work permit support letter? If so, prepare to be refused and potentially banned from holding a work permit for 6 months. You're only meant to apply for it after knowingly meeting eligibility factors - this the same as applying for common-law 8 months into the relationship know that they'll process your application 6 months later.

I agree with Moscatojuices. I think it’s best to speak with an immigration lawyer to get advice on what to do next.

Mar 13, 2023

Just getting back to this thread, i was working tax season. I was in a pretty hopeless situation at the time as there was no CEC draws, went to my employer late and they said they would support my PNP application. Also, I went and talked immigration consultant and she suggested that I try this: apply for PNP and then apply for work permit extension before my work permit expired, and attach an explanation letter with my application, explaining why I applied without nomination letter and WPSL.

That's what i did and 3 weeks later I received nomination letter and WPSL which I sent through web form to be added to my application. Then I applied for PR once I gathered all documents and recently received AOR & biometric instruction letter. Have not received the decision on work permit application letter as of today! Now i am wondering if I could apply for BOWP as there are no employment restrictions on my nomination.

I got myself in a pretty complicated situation and cant go back now. If I get temporary banned from holding a work permit, so be it - it just wouldn't benefit anybody. As shanew said, I'll get in touch with a lawyer on how to proceed.

Reactions: shanew