+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PNP Work permit support letter without nomination

lel2018

Jun 18, 2018
Hi all,
I am currently in a difficult situation and not sure what would be the right thing to do,
I have been nominated for BCPnp (on paper) last July, and I sent my application to the IRCC right after it. But till now I haven’t received the AOR from IRCC yet, I have tried contacting them using every possible way with no luck. Sent dozens of emails and called them hundreds of times, but they never respond. Now I have no idea about my application status. Canada post shows that it was delivered and I already have my Receipt.
The thing is I was working under my PGWP, but it is expiring soon. I went to apply for a new work permit at the border (via flagpoling) using the support letter that I received with my nomination. But my application was refused because I don't have an AOR. I showed them the tracking delivery and IRCC’s receipt as proof that I submitted my application before my nomination expired, but the officer told me that it only can be the AOR.

What should I do? Should I leave my job when my PGWP expires, what would be the point of my nomination then if my nomination depends on the job. Am I gonna lose my nomination?

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
Hi all,
I am currently in a difficult situation and not sure what would be the right thing to do,
I have been nominated for BCPnp (on paper) last July, and I sent my application to the IRCC right after it. But till now I haven’t received the AOR from IRCC yet, I have tried contacting them using every possible way with no luck. Sent dozens of emails and called them hundreds of times, but they never respond. Now I have no idea about my application status. Canada post shows that it was delivered and I already have my Receipt.
The thing is I was working under my PGWP, but it is expiring soon. I went to apply for a new work permit at the border (via flagpoling) using the support letter that I received with my nomination. But my application was refused because I don't have an AOR. I showed them the tracking delivery and IRCC’s receipt as proof that I submitted my application before my nomination expired, but the officer told me that it only can be the AOR.

What should I do? Should I leave my job when my PGWP expires, what would be the point of my nomination then if my nomination depends on the job. Am I gonna lose my nomination?
Yeah there is no point calling them - not sure if you've looked at the PNP timeline threads here but most people are getting their AORs in 11-13 months, and sometimes 15 months.

Did you apply to extend/change your PGWP to a temporary work permit by applying for it from inside Canada using your Work Permit Support Letter?

lel2018

Jun 18, 2018
Yeah there is no point calling them - not sure if you've looked at the PNP timeline threads here but most people are getting their AORs in 11-13 months, and sometimes 15 months.

Did you apply to extend/change your PGWP to a temporary work permit by applying for it from inside Canada using your Work Permit Support Letter?

Yes, I applied at the land borders, so I got my refusal instantly because of the AOR.

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
When they applied online, did they also need the aor letter?
Nope. You shouldn't need an AOR; the point of the work permit support letter is to urgently bring/keep you in Canada so you can work or continue working for your employer. Me and another guy on this forum applied for our temp work permits with this and nowhere in the documentation did it require you to provide an AOR in your application package.

Another good friend of mine applied for his PR and temp work permit at the same time and he got the permit in three weeks, wayyyyyy before the AOR on his PNP application.

I don't think you applied for this in the right way. Go to your IRCC GCkey account and create a new application by following the questionnaire. When you apply for it you'll instantly gain maintained status so you can rest easy while the closed work permit is being processed - just don't leave Canada till it does.

Reactions: lel2018

crazyfin

Sep 6, 2021
if you do not have the AOR, the only way to keep working is applying for a closed work permit
both the nomination cert and WPSL are required to apply for closed wp
just got mine in april 2022

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
if you do not have the AOR, the only way to keep working is applying for a closed work permit
Nice one. Did you apply online or on paper? And what was the timeline? Would greatly appreciate if you could share.

lel2018

Jun 18, 2018
I applied using the work permit support letter and the nomination, but the office told me explicitly “ Your application is refused because you should have submitted the AOR”.
Now I am beginning to think that it depends on the officer and that he could have passed it but he didn’t want to…

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
I applied using the work permit support letter and the nomination, but the office told me explicitly “ Your application is refused because you should have submitted the AOR”.
Now I am beginning to think that it depends on the officer and that he could have passed it but he didn’t want to…
That really doesn't sound right, or it sounds like the officer completely stuffed it up. I mean, it's explicitly written on the WPSL that the reason it is given to the applicant (you) in the first place is so that you can extend or gain an initial work permit...... you can't possibly need an AOR to apply for this - that is the whole function of the WPSL, otherwise, no PNP applicant would be able to stay or enter in Canada until an AOR. It makes no sense.

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
Wait a minute, in your work permit application checklist/questionnaire, did you say or indicate that you had APPLIED for PR and mention by any chance that you received preliminary eligibility??? If so, then maybe that did require your AOR??? In the checklist generated for me, I didn't get asked for an AOR as I ticked that I only submitted the application and did not receive any type of preliminary approval or otherwise.

Last edited:
Reactions: kharazian

lel2018

Jun 18, 2018
Wait a minute, in your work permit application checklist/questionnaire, did you say or indicate that you had APPLIED for PR and mention by any chance that you received preliminary eligibility??? If so, then maybe that did require your AOR??? In the checklist generated for me, I didn't get asked for an AOR as I ticked that I only submitted the application and did not receive any type of preliminary approval or otherwise.
I told him that I sent my application but never heard back from them since then. I can’t link my application till now. I showed him the receipt of payment that proves that I have paid 6 months ago and I showed him the Canada Post tracking status that shows that my application was delivered. But he told me that he can’t take by any of them, only the AOR would suffice…
I was at the borders flagpoling so I was applying in person so I didn’t have to fill an application.
His reason was that because my nomination is expired, I had to prove that I have applied before its expiry and the only prove that he can approve is the AOR.

crazyfin

Sep 6, 2021
if you have the WPSL, why dun u apply for a close work permit online then?
you will have implied status at once and save you hussle for flagpoling

lel2018

Jun 18, 2018
if you have the WPSL, why dun u apply for a close work permit online then?
you will have implied status at once and save you hussle for flagpoling
I thought that flagpoling would be faster as the processing time for work permits online is about 136 days and I want to travel soon. But it didn’t cross my mind that my application would be refused because of the AOR as it is not stated anywhere online.
Now I think I have no other options except to apply online but was afraid that my application would be refused for the same reason, but since you mentioned that the AOR is not needed for the online application, so I guess it should be fine ( hopefully).

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
I told him that I sent my application but never heard back from them since then. I can’t link my application till now. I showed him the receipt of payment that proves that I have paid 6 months ago and I showed him the Canada Post tracking status that shows that my application was delivered. But he told me that he can’t take by any of them, only the AOR would suffice…
I was at the borders flagpoling so I was applying in person so I didn’t have to fill an application.
His reason was that because my nomination is expired, I had to prove that I have applied before its expiry and the only prove that he can approve is the AOR.
Ah yes okay, you did try flagpoling and either that wasn't the right thing to do or the border guard had no idea what to do. Who cares though? Have you applied online with the WPSL? These types of permits are usually only processed in Edmonton.