+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PNP PR applicant: landing after WP expired?

sitareh19

Mar 22, 2016
Hello to all,
I have been researching this for some time but I am still a bit confused about CIC language and rules. I am considering to contact an immigration lawyer for an advice but wanted to ask here first.

About my situation: I am PNP OINP PR applicant (applied Sep 2017), my work permit will expire at the end of December and I am currently outside of Canada due to a family emergency.

- I know I can apply for bridging WP but I will not be able to return in November to do so
- I still have my residential address in Ontario/I still have an apartment
- I am from visa-exempt country so I do not need a visitor visa to enter Canada

My question is: If I receive my CoPr after December and want to land at the airport, will it be possible?
I found information below but I am confused whether I need valid work permit/implied status or if the fact that I can enter Canada as visitor is enough.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=248&top=28
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=748&top=22

I appreciate all help you can provide!

WaiterCA

Star Member
Mar 6, 2018
Calgary
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
Nomination.....
06-07-2017
AOR Received.
12-09-2017
Just enter Canada as a visitor and they will complete your landing process at the airport. You don't need a work permit for that. Usually it takes an hour or so. However I guess they will ask some questions about why you didn't maintain your work permit and didn't work and live in Canada for a few months. I suggest you to prepare some official translated documents to prove your explanations why you was absent.

Also if you want more replies from other people, post your question inside pnp topics, because many people only checks specific topics.

Johnexpressentrypnp

Aug 9, 2018
Hi there,
I am in a similar situation. I am an Express entry pnp applicant and recently received PPR. My passport is in Ottawa now for CoPR and PR visa.
My current work permit will expire on December 31st. In that case do I need to apply for extension of my work permit? Do I need valid work permit for the landing process? Thanks

WaiterCA

Star Member
Mar 6, 2018
Calgary
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
Nomination.....
06-07-2017
AOR Received.
12-09-2017
Hi there,
I am in a similar situation. I am an Express entry pnp applicant and recently received PPR. My passport is in Ottawa now for CoPR and PR visa.
My current work permit will expire on December 31st. In that case do I need to apply for extension of my work permit? Do I need valid work permit for the landing process? Thanks
I don't think you need to apply. I'm in similar situation and don't want to spend extra $250 on work permit extension just for a couple of weeks