+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

pnp nominated, PR in process, now Laid off

pilot29

Mar 4, 2009
i have been asked. what wording we used
in the "updated letter of reference" letter from my employer.

so im posting it here for everybody..

this was my initial suggestion. and it was reworded slightly
at the office.. (i don't have the actual letter here)
but its pretty close.

---------------------------------------------------------

COMPANY LETTER HEAD,

Date 12/12/1234

This is an updated letter of reference for
Mr. First Name Last Name

Company Name,
Town B.C., Canada
is by this letter, confirming the continued and ongoing employment
of mr First Name Last Name as job Title

President
First Name M Last Name ______Signed_______

---------------------------------------------------------

im sure somebody can make up something more fancy
or whatever.
but this worked for me.

i was a bit apprehensive about it..
but nothing strange(phonecalls, questions)
ever came of it.. anyway

/Harry

pat_battle

May 6, 2009
I also wish to provide an update for my PR application :)

My BC PNP nomination was approved last year and I started the PR process late last year.

Unfortunately, my employer has ceased all operations since the beginning of this year and I was "stuck" as a no-pay leave employee while waiting for my PR approval.

And same as Harry (pilot29), I was also asked for an updated letter of "ongoing" employment from my employer... The only difference is that I could not provide the consulate with such a letter due to my infinite no-pay leave situation.

Hence, I decided to make a phone call to the Consulate and explain my situation with them honestly.

Surprisingly I was told that they would seek advise from the BC officer that approves the nomination and make decision based on that.

On the other hand, I also contacted the BC officer and explained with him my situation and made a plead to him to continue my nomination. I recieved very positive responce from the officer and he wished to know more about my job seeking status.
I then provided him with my resume as well as job openings I found in BC that match my skill set (I am an software developer).

And !!!! I just recieved a phone call from the Consulate this afternoon. The designed officer of my case (she was VERY nice and helpful) informed me that such a letter from employer is no longer necessary as the BC officer has decided to continue his support of my nomination!

Wooohoo...what a happy ending :D. And Im really impressed with the efficiency of the consulate and the BC office over this matter. They have collected all the information and made the decision within almost a week!!

I just wish to thanks EVERYONE on this forum for all the help especially Harry for his kind help and all the info and updates!!

My passport was mailed out this afternoon and hope I get that soon, cross the border and get my PR for real!!!

Thank god! AMEN :)!

tessv106

Jan 13, 2009
your success stories gave us another reason to be hopefull with our applications. Truly. God is good!!!

congrats to both of you

pilot29

Mar 4, 2009
that's good news..

i really dreaded having to make that call..
luckily i didn't have to...

maby those immigration guys aren't so bad after all.. ;)

/Harry

jasbir78

Star Member
Nov 19, 2007
If your employer has not issued an ROE to you (when u were laid off) then dont worry.

Try to get employer signatures and if u cant get they will can cel .

bye

pilot29

Mar 4, 2009
So i finally got the long awaited Permanent residency....
and that just in time to be offered a really good international contract
that i pretty much HAVE TO TAKE! (having been unemployed for this long.)

question now is maintaining my permanent residency obligations

"Two years of "residency days" must be accumulated in every five-year period"

Am i supposed to gather and keep evidence of residency, or is this done automatically
when i enter / exit through immigration / border crossings etc.??

is it a completely "hard rule" or can i "work with / around it"?
how strict is it controlled, checked and enforced?

i know i can be "stationed" abroad by a Canadian company. but can this be my own company?
I plan to maintain Canadian address, and pay my Canadian taxes etc..
am i not then considered at-least "paying" resident? ;)

Any hinters to how i can make this work out
i have no choice but to take this. (several year) contract.
but i don't want to lose my permanent residency either..
and it looks like it may become a problem getting any of the two years worth of recedency time
within the next two years. and thus be a little limited for the future..

any do's and DONT's, hinters, suggestions ?

Kind Regard
Harry

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You have to keep your own records of your days outside Canada. This is a hard rule. When you apply to renew your PR card, you will have to know all those dates and you better not get them wrong because you don't know what they know and what they compare.

They will very likely not accept your own company as an excuse to be living outside Canada for more than 3 in 5 years. They will see it as you having started that company only to meet the residency requirements. Basically you can not be outside Canada more than 1095 days in the 5 years since you landed. Take your contract, keep track of your days and when you are getting close, re-think if you would rather keep the job or go back to Canada.

You may have one last chance to keep your PR if you stay too long outside Canada. That would be if you go back while your PR card is still valid, then let it peacefully expire and just sit it out for 2 years without going anywhere. You can still work, you are still PR. Your PR status can not be questioned while you are inside Canada unless you apply to renew your PR card so don't. After 2 years, you would meet the residency requirements again and could renew and be back to normal.

pilot29

Mar 4, 2009
ok thanks Leon

so i have to keep documentation of my time inside / outside Canada.

and if there is any possibility at all of getting my contract working through a Canadian
company that would be best.

i never thought about the required paperwork for when i eventually will need to reapply.
good thought.

thanks again
Harry

akmkamboj79

Star Member
Mar 28, 2010
india
Category........
Visa Office......
new delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22 -9-2008
Doc's Request.
10-10-2009
Nomination.....
22-4-2010
AOR Received.
24-9-2010
IELTS Request
attached
Med's Request
24-9-2010
Med's Done....
27-9-2010
Interview........
telephonic interview on 16 feb
Passport Req..
24-9-2010
VISA ISSUED...
4 -5-2011
LANDED..........
13-6-2011
hi to alll ,igot nomination on 12may ,ihave some problem the ainp send me a kit , hea also tell me about language test not older then one year ,but my test is older than one year is there is complsery for both of us me and my wife do ielts test agian ,and how many band we required , plz tell me as soon as possibel

pnpapplicant

Apr 5, 2012
Leon said:
You have to keep your own records of your days outside Canada. This is a hard rule. When you apply to renew your PR card, you will have to know all those dates and you better not get them wrong because you don't know what they know and what they compare.

They will very likely not accept your own company as an excuse to be living outside Canada for more than 3 in 5 years. They will see it as you having started that company only to meet the residency requirements. Basically you can not be outside Canada more than 1095 days in the 5 years since you landed. Take your contract, keep track of your days and when you are getting close, re-think if you would rather keep the job or go back to Canada.

You may have one last chance to keep your PR if you stay too long outside Canada. That would be if you go back while your PR card is still valid, then let it peacefully expire and just sit it out for 2 years without going anywhere. You can still work, you are still PR. Your PR status can not be questioned while you are inside Canada unless you apply to renew your PR card so don't. After 2 years, you would meet the residency requirements again and could renew and be back to normal.

Hey Leon,

I am planning on calling my pnp officer tomorrow and telling them about the job in a new province. Will she stop my PR application until I return to my nominated province? Will they cancel my PR if I dont return to my province? You think calling is a good idea? I just want to be honest!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pnpapplicant said:
I am planning on calling my pnp officer tomorrow and telling them about the job in a new province. Will she stop my PR application until I return to my nominated province? Will they cancel my PR if I dont return to my province? You think calling is a good idea? I just want to be honest!
I think calling is a good idea because if they find out you are no longer in the province and you haven't talked to them, they could cancel your application. You don't have to tell them that you are going for sure. You can say at first that your employer has suggested that you go and work in another province for a month. See what they say about that. If they say it is no problem, you tell them, ok, you will go. If they say no, you can not leave, or they limit the time you can leave for, then you must tell your employer that.