+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PNP - do you have to reside in Province of Nomination?

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
Jkal said:
After all this discussed, i am still not able to understand how would a province get benefited by PNP if a person is allowed to freely change his/her INTENTION immediately after landing (or say in a month) and call it genuine and consider his/her right.
How would a person be able to quantify his/her intention to stay in a province post landing if they simply want to move out of it by CHANGING the intention?
Don't you think that at the time of you applying for CITIZENSHIP, all this will be checked?
For job offer backed programs, once an nomination is issued, the applicant should apply for a WP immediately and start working in a few months. It is beneficial for the province as it immediately fills the job market gap and since the WP is tied to the employer, it is also tied to the province. PR application will be in process for a year or two. by the time PR is granted, the argument of "filling job market gap" is invalid since it's been so long. Hence its reasonable for the province/federal government to end the tie after granted PR.

For no job offer programs..the government tries to give more points to people with somewhat ties to the province. That doesn't seemed to work quite well IMO. (Look at people asking what Saskatchewan looks like after they are nominated...)

Citizenship is a federal responsibility. They only care if you have lived in Canada. If they have no other reason to reject, they have to give you citizenship. That is, of course, provided you didn't use any fake documents and trying to fraud the system. In such case, they can, and they had, revoke citizenships after people have gained it.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ottawa-revoking-citizenship-of-more-than-3000-after-fraud-investigation/article4532222/

knowAndShare

Star Member
Nov 19, 2015
Voyager2014 said:
Thanks to Asiavad and other who always says firmly on the mobility rights of Canadian PRs and citizen

One of my Whatsapp group member attended a Webinar yesterday. It was conducted by canadainternational.gc.ca. An official of Citizenship & Immigration Canada was present to answer the queries of participants. The exact same question raised up

" After getting provincial nominee, one have to reside in that province for specific time period or can move somewhere else for job "

The person replied that you can move freely, if u get job somewhere else, you can go there. Immigration people look from every angle. If the case is genuine there will be no danger to your immigration status even if you are away from your nominated province.
Hey Voyage2014, Can you please share the link of the Webinar you are talking about. Thanks

Voyager2014

Star Member
May 1, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
knowAndShare said:
Hey Voyage2014, Can you please share the link of the Webinar you are talking about. Thanks
Please find the link of the site

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/united_kingdom-royaume_uni/events-evenements/information_session_immigration_canada_2015_09_17.aspx?lang=eng

knowAndShare

Star Member
Nov 19, 2015
Voyager2014 said:
Please find the link of the site

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/united_kingdom-royaume_uni/events-evenements/information_session_immigration_canada_2015_09_17.aspx?lang=eng
Thanks Voyager2014 but the links is directing to page where I can't find any video, looks like they are not keeping record of past event. Still interested to listen directly from the horses mouth about what you said, so would appreciate if there is any other source of video.

One_Topsy

Champion Member
Sep 12, 2015
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
30-11-2015
mf4361 said:
(Look at people asking what Saskatchewan looks like after they are nominated...)
:)

Voyager2014

Star Member
May 1, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
knowAndShare said:
Thanks Voyager2014 but the links is directing to page where I can't find any video, looks like they are not keeping record of past event. Still interested to listen directly from the horses mouth about what you said, so would appreciate if there is any other source of video.
I am not sure whether they publish the videos. Will google it.

You can attend the next webinar and ask the questions. There is a Q&A session at the final 10 minutes of the webinar.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/united_kingdom-royaume_uni/events-evenements/information_session_webinar-Canada-webinar_session_information.aspx?lang=eng

The next dates as below

Webinar: International Experience Canada

The High Commission of Canada in London is hosting a webinar open to everyone interested International Experience Canada. An official from Citizenship and Immigration Canada will present information and answer your questions live. Please note that this session will be conducted in English; however, the question period will be bilingual, English and French.

Webinar Details:

Webinar: International Experience Canada 2016 – Travel and work in Canada
Thursday, January 14th 2016
13:00 to 14:00 (London, UK Time, GMT)
To participate, please send an email to ldn.cic.events@international.gc.ca with your name, citizenship, country of residence and email. Please also be sure to include IEC 14-01 in the subject line of your email.

We will provide you with the link to the webinar approximately 24 hours before it takes place. Note that places are limited. Anyone unable to participate in this webinar will be automatically registered in the next available webinar.

cococly

Aug 3, 2015
Category........
PNP
Doc's Request.
28-FEB-2017
Nomination.....
07-DEC-2016
AOR Received.
18-JAN-2017
Med's Done....
24-DEC-2016
Passport Req..
06-JUN-2017
VISA ISSUED...
20-JUN-2017
LANDED..........
00-JUL-2017
I agree that a PR who have got PN from a province should stay in the province for at least 4-6 months.

I think buying a car (preferably a new car) in the province would be a STRONG indication of you making effort to establish yourself there.

Keeping records of your resume submission would also help too.

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
cococly said:
I agree that a PR who have got PN from a province should stay in the province for at least 4-6 months.

I think buying a car (preferably a new car) in the province would be a STRONG indication of you making effort to establish yourself there.

Keeping records of your resume submission would also help too.
I am not sure how much weight would be given to the purchase of a new car as an indicator of the intention to stay. What efforts to find work, locate accommodation, investigate transportation routes is done before arrival? What groups have been joined? What networking done? What
Resumes sent out and appointments made? What cold calls made? There are a lot of things involved in settlement.

JoacRy

Champion Member
Oct 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am not an immigration lawyer by any means, and I know that the debate on this question is not (and may never be) fully settled. But thinking about it, having never applied for a PNP myself from what I have seen from others who have; the applicant is asked to write a statement about the 'ties' to settling in 'Province X'. This is supposed to be written truthfully and the way I see it is effectively like a self-declared 'statutory declaration'. If the person writes such a statement and does not follow through with what they have written in the statement, is that not akin to 'lying'?

My thought is why would the Provinces make applicants write such a statement if they did not expect the applicant to abide by the 'written words' in the statement? I hope that the legal and more informed minds on this forum can tell me if my thinking is wrong?

Also I know its been mentioned before but also think about the future consequences this may have? For example you may be denied Citizenship. Again legal and more informed minds I seek your opinion on this one as well.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
JoacRy said:
I am not an immigration lawyer by any means, and I know that the debate on this question is not (and may never be) fully settled. But thinking about it, having never applied for a PNP myself from what I have seen from others who have; the applicant is asked to write a statement about the 'ties' to settling in 'Province X'. This is supposed to be written truthfully and the way I see it is effectively like a self-declared 'statutory declaration'. If the person writes such a statement and does not follow through with what they have written in the statement, is that not akin to 'lying'?

It will be 'lying' if the person lands in another province different from their nominating province. That will be a problem. Once they have activated their PR status, that statement isn't relevant anymore as PRs (and citizens) are governed by the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms which guarantees them mobility rights to live and work anywhere in Canada.

My thought is why would the Provinces make applicants write such a statement if they did not expect the applicant to abide by the 'written words' in the statement? I hope that the legal and more informed minds on this forum can tell me if my thinking is wrong?

The provinces can 'legally' enforce this only when the applicant lands in Canada for the first time and attempts to acquire PR status. It is no longer legally tenable after PR status is achieved.

Also I know its been mentioned before but also think about the future consequences this may have? For example you may be denied Citizenship. Again legal and more informed minds I seek your opinion on this one as well.

You cannot be denied citizenship on just these grounds as you haven't flouted any rules regulating PRs.

cococly

Aug 3, 2015
Category........
PNP
Doc's Request.
28-FEB-2017
Nomination.....
07-DEC-2016
AOR Received.
18-JAN-2017
Med's Done....
24-DEC-2016
Passport Req..
06-JUN-2017
VISA ISSUED...
20-JUN-2017
LANDED..........
00-JUL-2017
Pippin said:
I am not sure how much weight would be given to the purchase of a new car as an indicator of the intention to stay. What efforts to find work, locate accommodation, investigate transportation routes is done before arrival? What groups have been joined? What networking done? What
Resumes sent out and appointments made? What cold calls made? There are a lot of things involved in settlement.
What I meant was, keep record of every single effort that you have made to settle into the province. Activate a local cellphone plan, actively look for jobs, attend public meetings for new immigrants, etc. Prepare yourself in case the province challenge you for you real intention.

I mentioned about buy a car is because some provinces have much lower overall sales taxes, specifically AB vs ON, that 8% difference of sales taxes and everything else that you spend could be a huge incentive to attract people moving to AB. So if one did stay and buy a car in ON after getting ONIP and then PR, but then move to AB and buy a car there, then I feel there's trouble.

Just my opinions.

Dasie.d

Dec 5, 2015
Hi,

I got my COPR , my Province is SK (the province that nominated me) and my city of destination is Regina (in COPR)

Can I land in Saskatoon instead of Regina ( Same Province )as my friend moved from there with whom I will be staying?

Jkal

Jul 26, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
EE
IELTS Request
R9 L8 S7 W6.5
Passport Req..
20-04-2016
Yes.. you can definitely change ur destination if it is same province.