+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PNP COPR holders Transit Via Montreal!

zen119

May 28, 2018
Please share your Landing Experience

I am (me and my Spouse) are outbound applicants and applied my PR through SINP EE and received my COPR in February 2020.
But due to the Covid 19 situation we were unable to travel to Canada in March, but as per the exemptions to the travel ban, we are planing to travel in mid June 2020 according to the flights availability.

Could you please clarify the following
Travel Itinerary Qatar - Doha - Montreal, Pierre E.trudeau International Airport - Toronto - Saskatoon
After landing in Montreal, Quebec , I am taking the connection flight to Toronto (4.5 or 15 hours layover options yet to be selected from Montreal to Toronto) and from Toronto taking a connecting flight to Saskatoon.

1.After landing Montreal I have, two layover option for connecting flight (4 hours or 15 hours). If we take the 15 hours layover we have to stay at Montreal Airport overnight and take the the connecting flight next day Morning. What is the better option 4 hours or 15 hours layover at Montreal as it is my POE to Canada?

Can we stay in the Montreal Airport for overnight to get the connecting flight next day Morning if we select 15 hours layover?

Will Airport Security allow us to do this?

2.Will that be a problem because I do not have CSQ-Quebec certificate of selection. I am not sure I can book a hotel in Montreal if I am staying overnight in Montreal , because without CSQ I may not be able to go outside the airport.

3.How long will it need to do the landing and customs formalities ? will 4 hours be enough?

4.Has anyone (Specially PNP applicant) got denied entry or had any issues before landing in Montreal if they are PNP outside of Qubec?

5. What documents can be provided as proof that they are not going to stay in Quebec?

6.Would you recommend to select Toronto as POE rather than Montreal (Will there be less issues compared to Montreal)? Can we stay overnight at Toronto Airport?

Thanks

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can comment as well but if you can always better to transit Toronto as opposed to Montreal. There is no real issue with Montreal being first POE as long as you show you have onward travel out of Quebec.

As far as transit goes currently the guidelines imply you cannot leave the airport unless going into quarantine so would assume even an airport hotel would go against this guidance but thats my interpretation..

For a PR landing a 4 hour connection should be fine and is much same as recommended in normal times. You will need to present your isolation plan for Saskatoon to CBSA at your first POE

Above my view only as the guidelines are changing ALL the time and international to domestic transit during the pandemic is one of the least clear areas in the pages of IRCC guidance

update refer the post in this link where someone checked about layover with CBSA, post #39 in the thread. Still at the discretion of the agent at the border though so still an element of risk and maybe via Montreal adding to that risk

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/copr-soft-landing-and-return-to-the-us-in-covid-19-environment.688888/page-3#post-8656074

Last edited: