+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PNP and open work permit for a c/l partner

Svet

Oct 4, 2010
Hi there.

My case is complicated, but here it is:

I am in Vancovuer BC with my common-law partner since January 2010. He is on working holiday visa since January till January 2011. I am currently on a Co-op Work permit, which is about to expire.
I have applied for PNP of BC (having a job offer in B category on NOC myself + my common -law partner on the same application) in the middle of July, and have been told that the processing time is approx 14-16 weeks, which is something like end of Oct - beginning of November 2010.

My current work permit expires Oct 22nd, and since I dint want to have any gaps in employment, I have applied for another Work permit under IES Youth Professional category - their decision is about to come.

Questions:
1. If I will get my WP under IES and then we get nominated by PNP, will my partner be able to extend his work permit in January? I know that BC PNP usually supports WP before PR obtained. But, since by then I will have WP with IES (which doesnt support dependant's permits), and therefore I wont need to apply for another WP with PNP letter, will my partner be able too use it independently? So that he too can work until we recieve PR?
2. If I must wait for PNP before applying for WP in order for my partner to get one too, can I do it at the port of entry (if I am turist visa exempt with PNP letter)? So that i wouldnt have to wait for 3-6 weeks before I can continue working..

What are pros and cons?? I dont want to have a gap in my employment, but I dont want my partner to end up without employment for the period of PR processing..

PLEASE advise!!! Any help is Very much appreciated.