+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PMM, Rubsluv & seniors Re: Police clearance/ security/ background

Halifax-Maple

Star Member
Jul 19, 2009
"who has to provide criminal clearances from anywhere she has lived for more than six months since turning 18 years of age " This statement appeared in the following thread

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/security-requirements-for-sponsoring-my-spouseneed-help-t31767.0.html

I am confused and not sure about the above. I must have read it somewhere and/ or it must be referring to other immigration purposes rather than family sponosrship. Is it "every country you have lived for more than 6 months since you turned 18 or is it ONLY for the last 10 years of your life (those who are 28 y and above)?
My husband stayed for 9 months in a country where it is impossible to get (obtain) police clearance. This happened 20 years ago and he was 19 y old at that time. Please clarify.
Thanks

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Halifax-Maple said:
"who has to provide criminal clearances from anywhere she has lived for more than six months since turning 18 years of age " This statement appeared in the following thread

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/security-requirements-for-sponsoring-my-spouseneed-help-t31767.0.html

I am confused and not sure about the above. I must have read it somewhere and/ or it must be referring to other immigration purposes rather than family sponosrship. Is it "every country you have lived for more than 6 months since you turned 18 or is it ONLY for the last 10 years of your life (those who are 28 y and above)?
My husband stayed for 9 months in a country where it is impossible to get (obtain) police clearance. This happened 20 years ago and he was 19 y old at that time. Please clarify.
Thanks
Since the age of 18. He would have demonstrate that the PCC is impossible to get. Not just that it is hard, but impossible.

PMM

Halifax-Maple

Star Member
Jul 19, 2009
PMM said:
Hi

Since the age of 18. He would have demonstrate that the PCC is impossible to get. Not just that it is hard, but impossible.

PMM
What about "for the last 10 years"....!! I still remember reading thid rule (only for the last 10 years of his/her life", somewhere. I am confident you have the knowledge that can put my head into rest.

Many thanks

mapgirl

Dec 26, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-12-2009
AOR Received.
02-02-2010
Med's Done....
01-10-2009
Passport Req..
25-02-2010
You are probably getting the Police clearance mixed up with the Personal History

From Schedule 1: Background / Declaration
11. Personal history. - You must account for every month during the past 10 years. Under “Activity”, print your occupation or job title if you were working. If you were not working, enter what you were doing (for example, unemployed, studying, travelling).

From Document Checklist:
POLICE CERTIFICATES AND CLEARANCES
Police certificates or clearances from each country in which you and every one in your family aged
18 years or over have resided six months or more since reaching 18 years of age

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
I agree - you're getting the personal history mixed up with the requirement for police clearances. Police clearances are required for every country an applicant has lived in for more than six months since turning 18 years of age. In the Region Specific guides for your husband's country, there may be more specific information about getting clearances from certain areas . . . or you can try looking at the Region Specific guide for the country that he needs a clearance for. It might have more specific information about how to go about getting a clearance there - and there is information in all the guides about what to do if you are unable to get a clearance from one of your countries. Remember, CIC deals with this stuff all the time - they are well aware of which countries make it "impossible" to get a clearance. If this is the situation in your husband's case, they should be familiar with it and will be able to instruct him further once his application gets into processing. Just be sure that you include a cover letter with the application detailing his efforts to obtain a clearance from that area, and the results, so they know that he's aware that he's supposed to get one and that he's tried without success.

Halifax-Maple

Star Member
Jul 19, 2009
Thanks Rub, PMM and everyone
I am grateful indeed.

He was in Iraq with his parents, who were there working for and managing a foreign oil company. He was dependent. I don't think anyone can get police clearance from there, giving the circumstances..eh. especially he lived there 20 y ago.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Halifax-Maple said:
I am grateful indeed.

He was in Iraq with his parents, who were there working for and managing a foreign oil company. He was dependent. I don't think anyone can get police clearance from there, giving the circumstances..eh. especially he lived there 20 y ago.
See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/mid-east/iraq.asp

PMM

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If he was there for at least 6 months after he turned 18 he must provide a police certificate. They don't care how long ago it was.

PPM's link tells you what to do.

Halifax-Maple said:
I am grateful indeed.