+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Plz advise for language requirements.

staralihaider

VIP Member
Jun 19, 2010
Pakistan
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi . Me any my wife just land in toronto 2 months before on skilled worker immigration visa. Wife is main applicant. Now after 3 years for citizenship we need any english test requirements or not ? And me and my wife both need english language test?. My wife done ielts in 2009. But now ielts expired. Plz suggest. Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you just landed 2 months ago, you don't have to worry about this just yet because it is still 3 years that you have to wait before you can apply and in that time, they may change the rules again for all we know.

You can see the current language requirements at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/language.asp

Under the current rules, if your wife has an old IELTS she has used to apply for PR, she can use it for citizenship even if it is expired. As for you, you will have to take IELTS General training or CELPIP General or General LS. CELPIP General LS is the cheapest, $150 + tax. CELPIP General 250 + tax. IELTS cost $295. However, if you are going to apply for citizenship 3 years from now, you should wait until you are almost ready to apply and then check if it is still required.

staralihaider

VIP Member
Jun 19, 2010
Pakistan
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
If you just landed 2 months ago, you don't have to worry about this just yet because it is still 3 years that you have to wait before you can apply and in that time, they may change the rules again for all we know.

You can see the current language requirements at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/language.asp

Under the current rules, if your wife has an old IELTS she has used to apply for PR, she can use it for citizenship even if it is expired. As for you, you will have to take IELTS General training or CELPIP General or General LS. CELPIP General LS is the cheapest, $150 + tax. CELPIP General 250 + tax. IELTS cost $295. However, if you are going to apply for citizenship 3 years from now, you should wait until you are almost ready to apply and then check if it is still required.
Thanks for reply for language requirement for citizenship. Can you tell me that for language proof can I show my BS honours degree 16 year education in English. This is the requirement on website Citizenship language requirement flowchart

Step 1: Have you completed a secondary or post -secondary program, in French or in English, in Canada or abroad?

If yes, you can send a copy of your diploma, certificate or transcript that shows you completed the program. Note: You must have successfully completed a secondary or post-secondary program in English or French. A single course done in English or French does not meet the requirement.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
staralihaider said:
Thanks for reply for language requirement for citizenship. Can you tell me that for language proof can I show my BS honours degree 16 year education in English. This is the requirement on website Citizenship language requirement flowchart

Step 1: Have you completed a secondary or post -secondary program, in French or in English, in Canada or abroad?

If yes, you can send a copy of your diploma, certificate or transcript that shows you completed the program. Note: You must have successfully completed a secondary or post-secondary program in English or French. A single course done in English or French does not meet the requirement.
Yes, like they say on the website, if you have completed your education in English, you can use that instead of taking a test.

canadiann

Star Member
May 3, 2009
Hi Leon,
I had sent my citizenship application about 2 months ago, last week it got returned. it says the evidence submitted for language is not acceptable. I had submitted my Master's degree transcript from USA, about 6 years old. Do you have any idea why they did not accept that evidence?

You comments really matters. I appreciate it.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No, I do not know why they did not accept. Maybe they made a mistake. Have you tried phoning CIC and asking if there are any further requirements?

When you applied, did you write a cover letter about your degree stating that it is from the US and therefore your language evidence? You could try again with a cover letter or you could just take a test.

plus

Star Member
Nov 16, 2014
Hi Canadiann,
Any updates for us as to what you did after your application got returned?
Please any advice from you will be of benefit to a lot of people.
Thanks
Plus

canadiann said:
Hi Leon,
I had sent my citizenship application about 2 months ago, last week it got returned. it says the evidence submitted for language is not acceptable. I had submitted my Master's degree transcript from USA, about 6 years old. Do you have any idea why they did not accept that evidence?

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
canadiann said:
Hi Leon,

Do you know the reason why your USA degree was not accepted?

Did the degree say that it was completed?