+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PLEASE I NEED AN ADVICE OF SENIORS MEMBERS!!!!!!

tonitoriva

Star Member
Jan 28, 2013
Hi guys, my name is Antonio and I am from Ecuador.

I have a bachelor degree in commerce from a university in Ecuador, and now I am gonna apply for a postgraduate in Selkirk College, BC.

I have been in Canada 3 times, and the last time (2012) I worked as a volunteer in a non profit organization called JVS Toronto; I used to work every friday for 8 hours during 5 months and they gave me a diploma. My question is : Is that experience is important in Canada?

The next question,what is most important, to find a part time job in a fast food company or do a volunteer job related with my postgraduate studies ?. I am ask you that because I am gonna apply for PR, after finish my studies.

Thank you very much for your help,

Sincerly,

Antonio

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Is that experience is important in Canada?
Sort of important. After graduation.

to find a part time job in a fast food company or do a volunteer job related with my postgraduate studies
If you can afford volunteering in your professional field go for it. If you cannot, any job in Canada is good. You will need only to look at your "transferable skills" when applying to your professional job after graduation.
In case you are not aware what "transferable skills" are look on the Internet:
http://www.bayt.com/en/career-article-2721/

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have a bachelor degree in commerce from a university in Ecuador, and now I am gonna apply for a postgraduate in Selkirk College, BC.
In your SOP pay attention how your chosen program in Canada is in line with your previous work history, career path. Why in Canada and not in home country, UK or USA? What kind of your 'ties" could convince CIC that you have something valuable in home country to go back in case if you could not get PGWP (and PR later)?

By the way what visas were you on during your previous stays? Did you stay as you were allowed? Did not overstay?

tonitoriva

Star Member
Jan 28, 2013
Thank you Regina

I will study a postgraduate in Business Administration, and I have worked in several companies in the administration / and marketing apartment. My best job was Product manager in an International company and Coordinator in the Mnistry of education of Ecuador.

I want to go to Canada because I already know the culture. I have family living in Canada since 1971, I have 2 aunts with canadian citenzhip and 4 cousins that were born in Canada and my sister is a PR, do you think that is gonna be a problem ?

The first time(1995) I had a tourist Visa, the second time in 2006 I lived in Winnipeg and studied for 6 months in a canadian high school and he last year I studied for 6 months in a english institute. I had the Visa from July 15 to January 15 but I went to Canada on August 5th, I went back to Ecuador on Febreaury 1st, because a lawyer told me that I had to be in Canada as maximium 6 months after my arrive, but I am still confused with that.

Please help me Regina, because my dream is to get the PR in Canada.

Neez

Star Member
Feb 12, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tonitoriva said:
I had the Visa from July 15 to January 15 but I went to Canada on August 5th, I went back to Ecuador on February 1st, because a lawyer told me that I had to be in Canada as maximum 6 months after my arrive, but I am still confused with that.
Is this mean that you overstayed your last visa by 15 days, from January 15 to February 1 ?
If this is the case, your chances are very slim if not zero.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I had the Visa from July 15 to January 15 but I went to Canada on August 5th, I went back to Ecuador on Febreaury 1st, because a lawyer told me that I had to be in Canada as maximium 6 months after my arrive, but I am still confused with that.
Do not worry. The visa what you get at VO is not a visa for a stay but a visa for entrance. With that "visa" you could enter Canada from July 15 to January 15. You entered on Aug 15. Then, if you did not get a written note in your passport of a prescribed date of leaving you could stay 6 months from Aug 15 to Feb 14. You left on Feb 1. So you are ABSOLUTELY fine with timing.

Yes, your relatives could be a problem. However, you were in Canada several times and never overstayed. At the same time Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Administration are very close. What is the difference in the majority of courses? Why post-bacc in BA is important for your work in home country? IMHO it would look more reasonable to get post-bacc in commerce after BBA. So, think about that: how to convince VO that you need this program FROM Canada. Also think what will overweight your relatives in Canada vs ties in home country.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Neez said:
Is this mean that you overstayed your last visa by 15 days, from January 15 to February 1 ?
If this is the case, your chances are very slim if not zero.
No she did not. Read my post above. You are mistaken. What you get at VO is not a VISA to stay but a VISA to enter the country. When you has entered then your period of stay starts.

nightfury

Feb 16, 2014
sorry to interrupt but i am also applying for business adm. at selkrik college.. but the thing is, i know very little about this college, so m kind of confused.. if anyone knows about this college's teaching, crowd, campus, placement.. then do tell me...
also while studying i will have to do part-time job, soo are there jobs easily available in that town??

Neez

Star Member
Feb 12, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Regina said:
No she did not. Read my post above. You are mistaken. What you get at VO is not a VISA to stay but a VISA to enter the country. When you has entered then your period of stay starts.
@Regina

Are you sure about that? Please, provide an official source for this information.

Neez

Star Member
Feb 12, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nightfury said:
sorry to interrupt but i am also applying for business adm. at selkrik college.. but the thing is, i know very little about this college, so m kind of confused.. if anyone knows about this college's teaching, crowd, campus, placement.. then do tell me...
also while studying i will have to do part-time job, soo are there jobs easily available in that town??
Selkirk college is one of the oldest colleges in all Canada, I've heard it has a good reputation. The only problem is that, it is located in Castlegar which is a really small town with really few job opportunities. I would say, if you can't survive without a job, you'd better not take the risk.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Neez said:
@ Regina

Are you sure about that? Please, provide an official source for this information.
Status in Canada
Who receives temporary resident status?

All persons authorized to enter Canada who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents are authorized to enter as temporary residents as a visitor, student or worker. ("visa for entrance", to get on the plane) When they enter Canada they are given temporary resident status for a limited period of time (at POE).
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5551ETOC.asp

cute_guy

Feb 7, 2013
Regina said:
It is a common knowledge.Like everybody is aware of this. But I will try to find something on www.cic.gc.ca. You also can call CIC Call center and ask them.
His common sense=non-sense in real world, be wary !!! ;D ;D