+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PLEASE HELP

KarenAnne

Aug 19, 2009
On Immigration Canada's web-site it says that: any document not in Eng. or Fr. must be accompanied by:1. English or Fr. translation AND 2. An affadavit from the person who translated the documents AND 3. A "CERTIFIED" copy of the original document. My questions are: 1. Can we get the documents CERTIFIED in the country of origin and then get the photocopies translated in Canada? 2. Would a person who teaches Spanish at night courses at a high school in Canada be considered a qualified person to translate these documents? The applicants live in Cuba and are gathering all the documents necessary. In Cuba, if they want their documents translated, it will cost 100 CUC PER document so I thought it would be less expensive just to get them certified there and then translated here. THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY AND ALL HELP

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
KarenAnne said:
On Immigration Canada's web-site it says that: any document not in Eng. or Fr. must be accompanied by:1. English or Fr. translation AND 2. An affadavit from the person who translated the documents AND 3. A "CERTIFIED" copy of the original document. My questions are: 1. Can we get the documents CERTIFIED in the country of origin and then get the photocopies translated in Canada? 2. Would a person who teaches Spanish at night courses at a high school in Canada be considered a qualified person to translate these documents? The applicants live in Cuba and are gathering all the documents necessary. In Cuba, if they want their documents translated, it will cost 100 CUC PER document so I thought it would be less expensive just to get them certified there and then translated here. THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY AND ALL HELP
1 You can certify the original documents in the country of origin.
2.A person who is qualified to do a perfect translation, except own family member of the applicant, can do the translation. An affidavit of that person as specified by CIC is necessary.
The original document and a certified copy of the original document are also to be attached along with the translation.
If you wish to get the translation in Canada, why you should do with the certified photocopy. You can do it with the original itself. Therefore you may get the photocopies of the document and certify it in the country of origin. Bring them to Canada and get it translated here.

KarenAnne

Aug 19, 2009
Thanks for replying to my question Wilson. The original documents are in Cuba with the person who is applying. If the person in Cuba can just get the photocopies certified there, I can get them translated much cheaper here. In Cuba they want 100 CUC(which would equal nearly $100 CAD) per document and my friend has approx. 15 or more documents to translate. SO, I thought if my friend in Cuba got the photocopies certified in Cuba, then perhaps that would not be very expensive. He can then send the certified photocopies to me here in Canada for me to get translated much more reasonable. I was also wondering if someone who taught Spanish lessons would be qualified to translate.
Thank you very much for all your help. ;)

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are welcome Karen. Your idea about getting it translated in Canada with a photocopy and sending back to the applicant in Cuba will of course save lot of money. As I mentioned there should be an affidavit of the translator attached, because he/she is not an accredited translator.

KarenAnne

Aug 19, 2009
Thanks once again Wilson. I couldn't get this simple answer from anyone. Not even an accredited immigration lawyer. I asked a lawyer the very same questions that I posted here and here is what I got for an answer: "Whoever does the translation must be certified as a translator in that language being translated by the relevant authority of that country/state/city. There are no exceptions to this as far as I am aware of." I wanted a simple, precise answer to my questions , which is what I got from you. lol

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
:)Hi Karen, the matter is very simple but a vast number of people were confused about it. CIC says that an affidavit is not necessary from an accredited translator. It means any one else, other than own family member can translate the document.

KarenAnne

Aug 19, 2009
Hi Wilson: My friend from Cuba, just got approved through a provincial program after ONE YEAR!!! When he got his nomination papers from the province, they outlined to him that several boxes on his Federal forms were not completed and they advised him to do this before sending in to CIC.
Now on CIC's web-site, it says to resign and change the date if the forms are more than 6 mos. old. (which they are) In the next paragraph they state that IF there are any changes to IMM008, you must reprint the forms. Soooooo I guess that is a given, since the province suggested additions to IM0008, but only if it had been validated. I will check with him tomorrow to see if he "validated" it online or not. If not, I assume he can make the changes suggested by the province, redate and resign.
Would you suggest he get his Work Permit before coming to Canada or after? The employer who gave him the job offer is very patient so it won't matter to him. I just want to know the advantages or disadvantages of getting it before arriving or after.
I am so excited for my friend and his wife and daughter. They are a great hard-working family and I know they will be Proud Canadians. Thanks for your help Wilson

KarenAnne

Aug 19, 2009
Good Morning Wilson:
As stated earlier, my friend in Cuba got approved through a provincial program. Here is some info:
1. He sent me copies here in Ontario of his Spanish documents that I had translated by a non-certified translator, but had an affidavit that was signed and also stamped by a lawyer here in Ontario. The province that nominated him did not require "Certified" copies.
2. The affidavit that was signed by the translator was dated Jan. 2011, when he did the translation.
3. My friend now has to apply to CIC and as you know they require "Certified" copies. So now my friend in Cuba would like to now go to notary or a judge there to "Certify" that the Spanish documents are of an originals and then put his/her stamp on the back with the required info from CIC.

Do you think that CIC will have a problem doing it in this order? They only specify that copies be Certified and translated.
Please help once again Wilson!! My friend and his family are "almost" here.

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Karen, It should work. Even though the translation is genuine CIC visa office staff will make a scrutiny of the documents. If there is no error on the translation there will not be any problem and no one bothers much about the source of the translation. If there are mistakes on the translation, they will check whether the requirements are met or not.

You asked:

"1..... translated by a non-certified translator, but had an affidavit that was signed and also stamped by a lawyer here in Ontario. The province that nominated him did not require "Certified" copies.

If the Province does not ask for a certified copy, then no need to certify. Send copy without certifying.

2. The affidavit that was signed by the translator was dated Jan. 2011, when he did the translation.
3. My friend now has to apply to CIC and as you know they require "Certified" copies. So now my friend in Cuba would like to now go to notary or a judge there to "Certify" that the Spanish documents are of an originals and then put his/her stamp on the back with the required info from CIC

CIC always require those documents if translated as shown below:

Original,
certified photocopy
translation with an affidavit if not translated by an accredited translator.

Therefore who ever translate should make an affidavit as specified by CIC.

mitali

VIP Member
Sep 7, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Wilson,

I am just wondering if a Certified Translator would do the translation from a Photocopy of an Original document?

Mitali

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mitali said:
Hi Wilson,

I am just wondering if a Certified Translator would do the translation from a Photocopy of an Original document?

Mitali
Of course mitali. The translator is not bothered it is an original or a photocopy what he is going to translate. His job is to translate the document given to him. The document ( original or copy ) what he translated will be attached to the translation and a seal is affixed.