+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please help - Wrong validity date on LOI

leila92

May 7, 2016
I applied for a work permit through IEC young professionals with a Recognized Organization, since my country doesn't have any bilateral agreement, and my application was accepted today however on my LOI the validity date is exactly one year from now instead of at the end of my job offer. The length of my job offer is within the limit set by the agreement with the RO (less than 18 months) and my medical exam is recent (less than 2 months ago). Was that an honest mistake or there should be another reason for a shorter permit? If it's a mistake, what could I do? Do they ever re-issue a LOI?

I'm kind of desperate here, I should have started at my job last month but I was still waiting for the visa, now I don't know if I should wait a couple more weeks to see if the date is corrected or if I should travel and try to ask for an extension/correction as soon as I get in Canada.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
leila92 said:
I applied for a work permit through IEC young professionals with a Recognized Organization, since my country doesn't have any bilateral agreement, and my application was accepted today however on my LOI the validity date is exactly one year from now instead of at the end of my job offer. The length of my job offer is within the limit set by the agreement with the RO (less than 18 months) and my medical exam is recent (less than 2 months ago). Was that an honest mistake or there should be another reason for a shorter permit? If it's a mistake, what could I do? Do they ever re-issue a LOI?

I'm kind of desperate here, I should have started at my job last month but I was still waiting for the visa, now I don't know if I should wait a couple more weeks to see if the date is corrected or if I should travel and try to ask for an extension/correction as soon as I get in Canada.
just to clarify is what you are actually referring to is the POE letter ? See here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/iec/after.asp

The actual IEC work permit is usually allocated when you land at the port of entry when you present the POE letter along with proof of funds and insurance. Would think all this is explained in the letter if thats what it is although i am only familar with working holiday not young professional which may be different.

So read the link above and the LOI as you call it given if it is the POE letter the validity is the date you have to enter Canada by. The actual work permit validity is set by CBSA when you land in Canada based on the program you are on , at least thats how it works for WHV.

leila92

May 7, 2016
Yes, I'm talking about the POE letter.

However, it's different for YP, three people I know got theirs a couple of weeks before me and the validity date on their POE letter is the end date of their job.