+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please help ! Work experience with Coop title

Imsj86

Dec 30, 2016
Hi !

I have about 4months work experience as a new graduate after graduating a Canadian college. I worked in a temporary full time position with my post-graduate work permit. My confusion stems from the fact that, although I worked with the work permit, my job title on the record of employment is Co-op. In this case, would IRCC consider this experience as a legitimate Canadian work experience ? After I left the company, I was hired by another company where I have been working for 6months now. It would be helpful if I could include the 4months experience for my application for the express entry ...
Thank you very much for your help in advance !!!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi !

I have about 4months work experience as a new graduate after graduating a Canadian college. I worked in a temporary full time position with my post-graduate work permit. My confusion stems from the fact that, although I worked with the work permit, my job title on the record of employment is Co-op. In this case, would IRCC consider this experience as a legitimate Canadian work experience ? After I left the company, I was hired by another company where I have been working for 6months now. It would be helpful if I could include the 4months experience for my application for the express entry ...
Thank you very much for your help in advance !!!
It could cause issues because co-op is supposed to be only for registered students (employers get incentives for hiring students). Your employer did not do you a favour. Others have been in this situation before, some have been questioned by IRCC, but I don't know the outcome. If you can get a letter of reference from your employer and have other documentation of your hours (if needed), then you don't necessarily need to provide the ROE. So it would depend on the letter from the employer, whether they call it co-op or not (you could ask them not to use that word, or if they want to call it an internship, that is OK).

Reactions: 17ha15

17ha15

Oct 15, 2018
It could cause issues because co-op is supposed to be only for registered students (employers get incentives for hiring students). Your employer did not do you a favour. Others have been in this situation before, some have been questioned by IRCC, but I don't know the outcome. If you can get a letter of reference from your employer and have other documentation of your hours (if needed), then you don't necessarily need to provide the ROE. So it would depend on the letter from the employer, whether they call it co-op or not (you could ask them not to use that word, or if they want to call it an internship, that is OK).
I have the same situation ! Would you recommend that I don't claim this work experience on my application? I think it would be better not to include it, but usually do they ask for ROE or an employment letter with the number of hours? One final thing, would this thing cause negative implications of my future PR application even if I didn't mention this experience on my application? Thanks!