+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please help with proof of relationship documentation?

Caroliner1978

Star Member
Mar 8, 2015
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi again, all...

American husband and we're doing inland...

This is specifically about the section on the new checklist that asks for 1 document from 2 of the 3 following areas:

A) Joint ownership of residential property or joint residential leases or joint rental agreements listing both the sponsor and the principal
applicant; (Minimum 1 document).

B) Proof of joint utilities accounts (electricity, gas, telephone); (Minimum 1 document).

C)Important documents for you and your sponsor showing the same address, such as copies of Government issued identification
documents: driver's licenses, insurance policies, etc. (Minimum 1 document).

A) I have lived in the apartment for 5+ years, and I only had a real lease for the first year. I've been on month to month since then. I asked the superintendent to talk to the landlord about us signing a new lease with both of us on it--he said he will do this, but our rent will increase by $200 per month. That sounds crazy, but that is what these units are going for now, so since we would be signing a new agreement just like new tenants, it's not really that crazy (the landlord really is a dick, and certainly doesn't do anyone in the building any favours--pretty much whatever he can get away with within the law, he does--so, this really doesn't surprise me). Anyway, since my husband can't work until he gets his work permit (which we need to do the PR app in order for him to get that), it would be impossible for us to pay an extra $200 a month on my one Tim Horton's income.

We need a lease to send in the PR app and get the work permit, and thus income from my husband, but we need the income from my husband to get a lease. Conundrum. So this one is out--we just can't do it.

B) Utilities are included in the rent. Soooo... no electricity or gas bills we can show together. We have one cell phone that is in my name, and they don't do joint accounts, so I can't add him. We have one internet connection, same story. So, apparently we can't do this one, either.

C) This is the one we can do. I have an Ontario ID card, and so does my husband. Same address, since we both live here :p. There might be other things we can show from this category... but not really important, I guess, since we have this one covered, already.

We have a joint bank account and he is my death benefit beneficiary on my insurance from work, but those things aren't asked for until the next section on the checklist.

This is the one thing that is hanging the whole damned thing up, and I'm almost to the point of pulling my hair out. We're expecting our first baby in June, and we really need him to be working by then. Every week that passes that we can't send this thing in because it's not yet complete is one more week of him not working, really. :(

Thank you in advance to anyone who can provide some ideas about this.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
Caroliner1978 said:
Hi again, all...

American husband and we're doing inland...

This is specifically about the section on the new checklist that asks for 1 document from 2 of the 3 following areas:

A) Joint ownership of residential property or joint residential leases or joint rental agreements listing both the sponsor and the principal
applicant; (Minimum 1 document).

B) Proof of joint utilities accounts (electricity, gas, telephone); (Minimum 1 document).

C)Important documents for you and your sponsor showing the same address, such as copies of Government issued identification
documents: driver's licenses, insurance policies, etc. (Minimum 1 document).

A) I have lived in the apartment for 5+ years, and I only had a real lease for the first year. I've been on month to month since then. I asked the superintendent to talk to the landlord about us signing a new lease with both of us on it--he said he will do this, but our rent will increase by $200 per month. That sounds crazy, but that is what these units are going for now, so since we would be signing a new agreement just like new tenants, it's not really that crazy (the landlord really is a dick, and certainly doesn't do anyone in the building any favours--pretty much whatever he can get away with within the law, he does--so, this really doesn't surprise me). Anyway, since my husband can't work until he gets his work permit (which we need to do the PR app in order for him to get that), it would be impossible for us to pay an extra $200 a month on my one Tim Horton's income.

We need a lease to send in the PR app and get the work permit, and thus income from my husband, but we need the income from my husband to get a lease. Conundrum. So this one is out--we just can't do it.

B) Utilities are included in the rent. Soooo... no electricity or gas bills we can show together. We have one cell phone that is in my name, and they don't do joint accounts, so I can't add him. We have one internet connection, same story. So, apparently we can't do this one, either.

C) This is the one we can do. I have an Ontario ID card, and so does my husband. Same address, since we both live here :p. There might be other things we can show from this category... but not really important, I guess, since we have this one covered, already.

We have a joint bank account and he is my death benefit beneficiary on my insurance from work, but those things aren't asked for until the next section on the checklist.

This is the one thing that is hanging the whole damned thing up, and I'm almost to the point of pulling my hair out. We're expecting our first baby in June, and we really need him to be working by then. Every week that passes that we can't send this thing in because it's not yet complete is one more week of him not working, really. :(

Thank you in advance to anyone who can provide some ideas about this.
So, they have asked for these pieces of documentation to try to hurry the process along. Since you need to start the process, so he can get a work permit (I am assuming, because you are applying inland, that you want to apply for the OWP that is available with the application as well), you can send the application in without A or B and explain in an ancillary why neither is doable for your situation right now.

From the old guidelines, it appears they are looking at the financial aspects of the relationship. They have examples outlined in the old processing guide (from 2006). You can find them here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op02-eng.pdf pg 20-22.

No guarantees that will work, but given that the process is so new, I am not sure there is anyone who can provide another suggestion, besides trying to follow the guide.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
Caroliner1978 said:
What do you think about Renter's insurance? Would that work, maybe?
Yes you can try that..

Caroliner1978

Star Member
Mar 8, 2015
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Okay, so... we just inquired with Bell Canada about getting a landline... even they don't do joint accounts--only one account holder and you can add an authorized user. So like... how in the hell do people have joint utility accounts? What companies even do this?

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
Caroliner1978 said:
Okay, so... we just inquired with Bell Canada about getting a landline... even they don't do joint accounts--only one account holder and you can add an authorized user. So like... how in the hell do people have joint utility accounts? What companies even do this?
Hydro and Gas companies will. But that said, you don't require those. I would include a letter and explain that situation -- we are renting at a place that includes utilities. None of the utilities are in either name, and cell phones generally are a single account holder with additional "users".

Caroliner1978

Star Member
Mar 8, 2015
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well landlines can't be in 2 names either as we just found out... Yet it is in what the checklist specifically states-- Electricity, gas, telephone.

mvm

Dec 26, 2016
I am new to this forum. I submitted my application last week.

For proof of relationship I provided the following in the application pack

MY husbands gran owns the property we live in so providing proof of joint bills etc was hard. we provided the following in our application. I did add a notes page to the checklist stating why every piece of back up was put in the pack that didn't fully match their requirements and the valid reason for this.

Joint Bank accounts chequings and savings
Telus Mobility - Bill is in my husbands name but its a share plan and states both our names and numbers on the bill included this and provided additional information on the checklist to state that.
Car Insurance - Again the letter is in my husbands name but I am a named driver on the insurance policy so we attached that. included this and provided additional information on the checklist to state that.

Drivers Licence - both showing the same address in Canada.

nightriderx

Dec 4, 2016
Hi Caroliner1978, you are not alone. I have exact same issue

I live with my wife but don't have much proof. I think Hydro can do it..
But i don't like to build proof like that.. I just got my Hydro bill. i would prob had to wait
1 months to get 2 names. Same with cellphone share plan

We have wedding and immigration papers same adresses though.
profiler is right. I will just had a letter to explain the situation.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
Caroliner1978 said:
I think you are over thinking the joint utility account wording. Adding someone as a user is good enough. They want to see your mail going to the same place, basically. You don't need a land line, you could have a cell phone with another account added.

Internet is a utility as well, really. It's an essential service these days. And many people don't have traditional utility bills because they live in a "utilities included" rental dwelling.