+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please help with filling out first TD1

s3nr1

Star Member
May 11, 2013
Good afternoon,

I finally got a fulltime job for the first time after college(I have been doing freelance web development), on PGWP. During my coop/internships, I didn't need to fill these out. Can someone please help me.

I am: Single, live with family (don't pay rent but I do help out groceries, etc.), no dependents. I do send money back home each month if that's something.

Since I am on PGWP still, there's a chance that I might be sent back home as I have about 1y 3 months left. Hopefully, I can work for the full year and finally apply for a PR. But in case it doesn't work out I would like the tax return to reflect that. I remember during my internship that they returned some money that went into some retirement fund. If possible.

Basically, I'm starting out tomorrow or Tuesday. My yearly pay is 50k.

Employer sent me two pdfs to fill out: td1-fill-19e.pdf, td1on-fill-19e.pdf

On the td1-fill-19e.pdf Question Number 1 (Basic personal amount) was already filled in(by the employer): 12069
Number 2-12 is empty and I don't think anything applies to me, it deals with kids, dependents and age.
Number 13 is TOTAL CLAIM AMOUNT which I take is just #1?

Two things confuse me:
  • (1) Total income less than total claim amount (checkbox).
What does this mean exactly, I've google and read up about it on taxtips.ca but I'm not sure if this applies to me. Is Number 1, which is 12069, my income for the remaining tax year? Do I check this checkbox?
  • (2) Non-Residents As a non-resident of Canada, will 90% or more of your world income be included in determining your taxable income earned in Canada in 2019? YES OR NO.
I don't have any income outside this job, in canada or outside (world). Do I say YES?

The other pdf td1on-fill-19e.pdf is basically the same, so if anyone can help me out on those two questions that would very helpful.

Thank you!