+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please help.Visa for my mother-in-law from India

PunjbaiGali

Aug 22, 2017
Hi Guys,

Can you please help me with information what to do in our situation: I am Canadian citizen and my husband is PR, I work for federal government and he works for Private sector, we want to bring his mother in Canada to stay with us, we have 2 kids and we need help and we miss her. The thing is she has no property on her name, she never worked in her life, she never travelled anywhere, she is 54 years old. All the properties are on my father-in-law's name. We do not know what to do to prove that she has ties with India and that she will be back after her visit here. Only documents that we can provide from her side beside the visa application is her passport and her bank account... Please help me what to do... we want her to come stay with us?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi Guys,

Can you please help me with information what to do in our situation: I am Canadian citizen and my husband is PR, I work for federal government and he works for Private sector, we want to bring his mother in Canada to stay with us, we have 2 kids and we need help and we miss her. The thing is she has no property on her name, she never worked in her life, she never travelled anywhere, she is 54 years old. All the properties are on my father-in-law's name. We do not know what to do to prove that she has ties with India and that she will be back after her visit here. Only documents that we can provide from her side beside the visa application is her passport and her bank account... Please help me what to do... we want her to come stay with us?
Hi,

First, I recommend you do not use words like 'stay', 'live with us', 'we miss her', 'we need her to help us with the kids', 'our children want their grandmother to stay with them', etc when you prepare your mom-in-law's invitation letter/documents. These words could incorrectly imply that she intends to remain long-term or intention to work illegally on a TRV.

1. How long does your mom-in-law intend to visit?

2. Does she live with any other dependent family member? For example, if you have single, young siblings or grandparents?

3. Does your mom-in-law have adequate finances to afford her visit? Else, your father-in-law can provide documents for financial support

4. Does your mom-in-law have any reason to return to India by a specific date? For example, a wedding in the immediate family

5. Is your mom-in-law nominated/heir to your father-in-law's properties?

6. Does your father-in-law have any medical condition which requires your mom-in-law to take care of him?

Cheers

PunjbaiGali

Aug 22, 2017
Hi Bryanna,

Thank you for your reply. I will answer your questions and try to find a way what we can do:

1. We will write in the invitation letter that she is coming for 3 weeks but of course she will stay longer.
2.She lives with her 2 other kids; daughter who married with 2 kids but her husband is working abroad and with her other son my husband's brother and his wife.
3. My mom-in-law does not have too much money in her account but we will provide our bank statements and write in the invitation letter that her visit is covered by us. How much money she needs to show in her account?
4. Yes, my mom-in-law has a couple of reasons to return in India for example: she is taking care of her sick mother who is on bed and also, she is helping my sis-in-law she is alone with her two kids because her husband is working abroad, also my father-in-law is away he works in Qatar.
5. No my mom-in-law is not nominated/heir to any family property.
6. My dad-in-law has medical condition: diabetes but he is not in India he works in Qatar now until 2018 or even longer.
Ohh and I forgot to mention we do not know what to write that she has no travel history...all her life she was only working and working...never travelled anywhere.
Thank you for your help.

Kumarp

Star Member
Dec 25, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-11-2015
AOR Received.
28-11-2015
Med's Done....
16-12-2015 Passed
Hi Guys,

We were in exactly a similar situation, my widowed mother-in-law has no education, never worked anywhere, doesn't even have a bank account, has no property in her name, is 57yrs old, she has an elder son whom she visits occassionally, and is completely dependent on us financially and emotionally, never travelled anywhere even inside the country, we just got her a passport in June this year.
Our situation
- I am pregnant and under strict / complete bed rest so can't travel to go see her
- My husband is self-employed can't travel for more than 2weeks and that won't be enough or worth the money for a trip to India.
This is what we did:
- We applied for a super visa
- We mentioned in our application that we want her here for the birth of our child and want her to spend some time with the little family we are making
- the only ties she has to India are her siblings and her elder son and we have a property in India that she is taking care of. So we said she can't be here too long as we need someone to take care of it and that she doesn't to miss her siblings and elder son for too long.
- we mentioned that we want her here only for 8months, so she can be with us now and a bit after the birth of the child
- All that we provided on her behalf was the passport and medical test report, rest all was our notice of assessments, T4s, payslips, medical insurance for her.

If you are looking to just get a Visitor Visa, I'd say your story won't be bought and listen to what Bryanna suggests, but if you are open considering a Super visa then your mother-in-law doesn't need own financial backings.

NOTE: Am just explaining my situation here, just because it worked for me doesn't mean it will work for you as well and am not a legal advisor. So good luck with your application :)

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Well, super visa or TRV..... that would depend on how long the OP would like her mom-in-law to stay + is it worth going through the hassle of medicals and buying insurance for a year for a super visa if her mom-in-law intends to just visit for a couple of months/less than 6 months..

If her mom-in-law visits for just a couple of months.... returns to India..... visits again a few months later.... she would need to show a minimum CAD 100,000 insurance coverage for each super visa entry

PunjbaiGali

Aug 22, 2017
Hi Kumarp and Bryanna,

Guys can you please explain what would be better in my situation: just TRV or supervisa. We want her to come often here in Canada every 7-8 months and to stay for 1-2 months or as much as she wants? Kumarp how did you explain about your mom-in-law...did you write all this in the invitation letter? We are thinking to ask my grand mother (her mother) to make a sworn affidavit that my mom-in-law is taking care of her because she is on bed sick...I do not know if that will help...mentioning that she will only visit us for 3 weeks and then be back to take care of her. thank you guys for your help...please guide me what you would do if you were in my situation?

Kumarp

Star Member
Dec 25, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-11-2015
AOR Received.
28-11-2015
Med's Done....
16-12-2015 Passed
Hi Kumarp and Bryanna,

Guys can you please explain what would be better in my situation: just TRV or supervisa. We want her to come often here in Canada every 7-8 months and to stay for 1-2 months or as much as she wants? Kumarp how did you explain about your mom-in-law...did you write all this in the invitation letter? We are thinking to ask my grand mother (her mother) to make a sworn affidavit that my mom-in-law is taking care of her because she is on bed sick...I do not know if that will help...mentioning that she will only visit us for 3 weeks and then be back to take care of her. thank you guys for your help...please guide me what you would do if you were in my situation?
If she is going to stay for only couple of months then Super visa is a overkill, you should better go for a visitor visa like Bryanna suggested. In my case I explained it in the invitation letter, but am not sure how it works for a visitor visa. Bryanna or others in the forum might be able to help with rest of your question :)

PunjbaiGali

Aug 22, 2017
If she is going to stay for only couple of months then Super visa is a overkill, you should better go for a visitor visa like Bryanna suggested. In my case I explained it in the invitation letter, but am not sure how it works for a visitor visa. Bryanna or others in the forum might be able to help with rest of your question :)
I am just confused in our situation, people say it will be easier to get supervise not Visitor visa...and I am losing it...please suggest something...? thank you guys

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
I am just confused in our situation, people say it will be easier to get supervise not Visitor visa...and I am losing it...please suggest something...? thank you guys
This is how I see your mom-in-law's situation:
1. Based on what you've posted, your mom-in-law's family unit seems to be one where she is the matriarchal head of the family. I'm guessing that even if you apply for her super visa, she would find it difficult to stay away from her daughter/son/his wife/grandchildren for a long time.

2. Family ties: Her ties to India are weak. That's because her daughter and son are married + have their families + your dad-in-law does not live in India.

This would make her family ties to Canada stronger when she applies for a TRV/super visa.

3.. An affidavit from her mom (grandmom) won't work because affidavits are not a guarantee of some information. What would work is actual evidence of your mom-in-law taking care of her mother. However, as there are other family members who live in the same house, this reason to return may not work.

A few questions:
1. Is your mom-in-law's daughter working/self-employed?

2. Can your dad-in-law prepare a Power of Attorney in favor of your mom-in-law to manage his properties because he lives in Qatar? And can your mom-in-law prove that she pays the property taxes, property maintenance or similar reasons on his behalf?

3. Any similar authorization for managing your dad-in-law's financial investments? Any joint bank accounts with your dad-in-law?

4. Can your mom-in-law prove with evidence that she must return to India by a specific date for 2-3 reasons?

shahid7in

Star Member
May 29, 2017
Bangalore
Category........
Hi,

First, I recommend you do not use words like 'stay', 'live with us', 'we miss her', 'we need her to help us with the kids', 'our children want their grandmother to stay with them', etc when you prepare your mom-in-law's invitation letter/documents. These words could incorrectly imply that she intends to remain long-term or intention to work illegally on a TRV.

1. How long does your mom-in-law intend to visit?

2. Does she live with any other dependent family member? For example, if you have single, young siblings or grandparents?

3. Does your mom-in-law have adequate finances to afford her visit? Else, your father-in-law can provide documents for financial support

4. Does your mom-in-law have any reason to return to India by a specific date? For example, a wedding in the immediate family

5. Is your mom-in-law nominated/heir to your father-in-law's properties?

6. Does your father-in-law have any medical condition which requires your mom-in-law to take care of him?

Cheers

Hi
I am from India, I am planning to visit Canada with my family I have friend can send sponsor letter but I have fund to sustain in canada for 3 months but I don't have high fund and my travel history is zero in last 5 years but I just travelled to saudi for job and other work

So can I get visa

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi
I am from India, I am planning to visit Canada with my family I have friend can send sponsor letter but I have fund to sustain in canada for 3 months but I don't have high fund and my travel history is zero in last 5 years but I just travelled to saudi for job and other work

So can I get visa
1. How long do you intend to visit if you say you have funds to sustain your visit for 3 months? Are you referring to your friend's finances or your own?

2. Purpose of your visit?

shahid7in

Star Member
May 29, 2017
Bangalore
Category........
1. How long do you intend to visit if you say you have funds to sustain your visit for 3 months? Are you referring to your friend's finances or your own?

2. Purpose of your visit?

I am planning stay at least 3 months and search job

My intend is to get job but I will never say then I am going for job but I say I am going to meet my friends

I need to arrange fund my self

PunjbaiGali

Aug 22, 2017
This is how I see your mom-in-law's situation:
1. Based on what you've posted, your mom-in-law's family unit seems to be one where she is the matriarchal head of the family. I'm guessing that even if you apply for her super visa, she would find it difficult to stay away from her daughter/son/his wife/grandchildren for a long time.

2. Family ties: Her ties to India are weak. That's because her daughter and son are married + have their families + your dad-in-law does not live in India.

This would make her family ties to Canada stronger when she applies for a TRV/super visa.

3.. An affidavit from her mom (grandmom) won't work because affidavits are not a guarantee of some information. What would work is actual evidence of your mom-in-law taking care of her mother. However, as there are other family members who live in the same house, this reason to return may not work.

A few questions:
1. Is your mom-in-law's daughter working/self-employed?

2. Can your dad-in-law prepare a Power of Attorney in favor of your mom-in-law to manage his properties because he lives in Qatar? And can your mom-in-law prove that she pays the property taxes, property maintenance or similar reasons on his behalf?

3. Any similar authorization for managing your dad-in-law's financial investments? Any joint bank accounts with your dad-in-law?

4. Can your mom-in-law prove with evidence that she must return to India by a specific date for 2-3 reasons?
Hi Bryanna,

to answer your questions:
1. My mom-in-law's daughter is not working and is not married officially. How we can prove that she depends on my mom-in-law...?
2. My dad-in-law will never agree to prepare Power of Attorney, we asked him about that before but he is very old fashioned and narrow-minded person.
3. She has nothing with him...
4. Could you please help me find those 2-3 reasons ...we cant think of anything...that is thing that is giving us hard time and stress...we feel like she will never had the chance to come and visit us.

Bryanna, God bless you for helping to people!
Can we use something coming from pandit from temple as my mom-in-law is involved in religious stuff...? Please guys guide me..she is waiting to tell her what documents to prepare and I do not know what to tell her.