+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please help - very confused!

KiaG

Mar 19, 2015
I have just been in contact with a CIC call centre representative, and I explained my situation that I broke up with my common law partner and left him for another Canadian citizen. He told me I obviously can't be on my current conditional PR, but advised me however that I write a letter to where I had my final landing appointment at, explain them my situation and then he said that he couldn't answer exactly what the procedure is, if I were to stay in Canada they could eventually have an interview with me and my new partner and maybe get to stay on my conditional pr, or revoke it completely and most likely get a 5 year "ban" for being re-sponsored into Canada? Huh

Has any of you heard of whether you can continue to be on a conditional pr and actually by interview stay in Canada if accepted?

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
KiaG said:
I have just been in contact with a CIC call centre representative, and I explained my situation that I broke up with my common law partner and left him for another Canadian citizen. He told me I obviously can't be on my current conditional PR, but advised me however that I write a letter to where I had my final landing appointment at, explain them my situation and then he said that he couldn't answer exactly what the procedure is, if I were to stay in Canada they could eventually have an interview with me and my new partner and maybe get to stay on my conditional pr, or revoke it completely and most likely get a 5 year "ban" for being re-sponsored into Canada? Huh

Has any of you heard of whether you can continue to be on a conditional pr and actually by interview stay in Canada if accepted?
Legally, your PR status can be revoked. If you don't let CIC know, and even if you become a citizen later on, your citizenship and PR can be revoked later as it will be considered attained fraudulently. If your new relationship serious and can be considered common law, or you intend to marry - its probably better to restart the sponsorship process again than living in fear that someone, at some point of your life, will tip you off to CIC.
5 year ban is only for the sponsor, there is no any rule that the principal applicant cannot be sponsored to Canada by someone else. It is also possible that CIC will take into account the circumstances leading to your break up and waive the condition (i assume it must be a good reason for CIC to do so though)

taffy7

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th April 2014/June 10th 2014 application complete
Doc's Request.
09 June 2014 same doc's requested again 6th Oct 2014. docs not needed again mistake by cic
AOR Received.
sponsorship approval 05 Aug 2014
File Transfer...
05 Aug 2014
Med's Request
28 July 2015
Med's Done....
30th Dec 2013
Passport Req..
in process 18th July 2015/ DM 5/12/2015
LANDED..........
28/12/2015
I answered on your other thread.

Jenzo

Jul 14, 2015
Re: Please help - very confused!

I'd definitely redo the process with the new spouse myself, I would not want to risk that sort of trouble.

Jenzo

Jul 14, 2015
Re: Please help - very confused!

I'd definitely redo the process with the new spouse myself, I would not want to risk that sort of trouble.

kettle

Mar 19, 2015
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga (London)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
15.05.2015 in hand 29.05.2015
LANDED..........
Based on everything you've posted you and your new boyfriend need to focus on being a couple a while before you worry about residency. Go to Australia as planned and just be together. If after a year (as you said), you and he decide that your relationship is going to work, and Canada is where you want to be, you will have enough time cohabiting to be considered common law. Or you'll be married as you said.

The whole idea of common law is that it is supposed to be an equivalent of marriage, a married couple for all intents and purposes. I doubt that CIC would give you a pass on condition 51 without substantial proof that you attempted to make your marriage work. Falling in love with someone else, I don't think is a valid enough reason.

So, go enjoy your new relationship, don't worry about your residency stuff. Gather any proof like you normally would, leases etc, photos but don't let the idea of immigration ruin your burgeoning relationship.