+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please help urgent... Legal Name change document - what is required?

rajulita02

Star Member
Aug 27, 2014
Hi All-

My wife surname was different before marriage..and same is appeared on her education artifacts..like degree certi, marksheets etc..

While filing question in EE profile, I have answered "Yes" for question - " Did you have used any other name before?"
I received ITA in last draw and has query - what should be produced as 'Legal document for name change' in document checklist ..This is mandatory document in checklist and I am not sure what needs to be done for this..

Should I do notary and provide explanation for name change? and attach marriage certi..Will this work..? Please guide.
I am sure many others will have same situation as in India, girl has to change her surname after marriage ; so marriage certificate document should be considered as legal one...please advise.

rajulita02

Star Member
Aug 27, 2014
I would request Senior members to help please..
If this question is already answered, please share link..I tried to search but could not find same query in forum.

Thnx.

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
In the UK, when you get married you have to send your marriage certificate to the government and request a name change. They then send back a confirmation letter.

How did she go about changing her name after marriage? Is there a legal process?

DesireCA

Star Member
Apr 25, 2014
Karachi
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
2253, CRS-432
App. Filed.......
Not Yet
As advised by "Kryt0n" if any legal process applicable in your country you need to completed it first and send/attach this report/certificate (or whatever you got after the completion of this name change process) to CIC.

Here in Pakistan, no legal process applicable in case of name change by marriage and only the Marriage Certificate is enough as an evidence.

scorpion3110

Feb 2, 2015
Delhi Area, India
NOC Code......
rajulita02 said:
Hi All-

My wife surname was different before marriage..and same is appeared on her education artifacts..like degree certi, marksheets etc..

While filing question in EE profile, I have answered "Yes" for question - " Did you have used any other name before?"
I received ITA in last draw and has query - what should be produced as 'Legal document for name change' in document checklist ..This is mandatory document in checklist and I am not sure what needs to be done for this..

Should I do notary and provide explanation for name change? and attach marriage certi..Will this work..? Please guide.
I am sure many others will have same situation as in India, girl has to change her surname after marriage ; so marriage certificate document should be considered as legal one...please advise.
I could not find any such question. Can you please help by writing under which section this information was asked?

powerstar

Apr 1, 2015
@rajulita02:

You can upload the marriage certificate as it contains Maiden name as well. This is a legal document.