+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

please help to calaculate Canadian Education Points

mnayyar3

Dec 21, 2018
i was enrolled in 2year program in centennial college with 1 year of co-op. so i started my program in january 2015 and finished April 2017. what should i choose for program duration(academic years). 2 or 3. if i choose 2 i am getting 15 points and if i choose 3, i get 30 points. i am confused now. please help me to figure out.

thanks

Evident

Oct 30, 2018
It does not matter if it takes 3 years to complete a two year programme. What really matters for cic ie the number of semesters you were registered or enrolled as a student. This is why they request for your transcript.

mnayyar3

Dec 21, 2018
thanks for the reply

so in my transcript its says 6 semesters in total with two work terms. so does that mean it is a three year program??

Evident

Oct 30, 2018
On the college website, what is the official duration of the programme? Is the work term compulsory? Is this placement done by the college or you have to find the work place by yourself? Do you have any credits from the work term?

The most important aspect is credits. If you dont get any credits that contributes to your programme from the work term then it does not count towards the years.

Evident

Oct 30, 2018
This is interesting. From an immigration point of view, what the officer wants to find out is simple - is the applicant actively enrolled as a student throughout the 3 years.

Please note, enrollment simply means officially paying for the semester even while you are on work term.

Here is another analysis: During your work term, did you get assessment criteria from your school or the organization you were working with? I.e. do they have a structure for assessing your performance during the work term. Grading, attendance, performance, site visits etc. Did you take your performance sheet back to your school before they awarded you the credits?

Because, if you were actively enrolled as a (paying) student during your work term and there is a structure in place to measure or grade your performance during this period, then it counts towards the programme. Otherwise, your work term is just a process or pre-requisite for the programme and it wouldnt count as part of academic period.

Things can get really complex when an immigration officer assess candidate eligibility for a visa. In my personal opinion, I think it is safer to choose 15 points instead of 30points.

mnayyar3

Dec 21, 2018
yes, they did have proper process to measure the performance. i had to submit the co-op term report by the end of it based on my attendance and performance i got the credits in work term. i was still registered as a student and i paid tuition fee for that period too. does that sound a proper co-op term?

mnayyar3

Dec 21, 2018
i do have one more question
1) first of all i had 1st job for 8 months
2) after that i went back home for 1 month
3) when i got back i found another job
4) i did that job for 1 month (because i was fired)
5) after that i found another job for rest of the year which now contributes towrads 1 year experience.
6) so now do you think i should indicate that job (which lasted for 1 month) in work history of my cec profile.

i still have more than 1 year experience even if i exclude that job now. but for immigration purpose should i include this information or not

Evident

Oct 30, 2018
For the previous question, can you provide a link to the exact course you enrolled for at centennial college? I would like to review myself. The deal breaker here is the specified duration for the course as stated by the college.

For your second question, you can omit any job you do not want to be used as part of the point calculations but make sure you put it in your personal activity history. CIC wants to know everything you have been up for the last 10 years.

Evident

Oct 30, 2018
https://www.centennialcollege.ca/programs-courses/full-time/automation-and-robotics-technology-fast-track/

my program was 4136 with two work terms.
so where exactly should i mention about that particular job (1 month)
I could not find 4136 but based on my review I believe Your coop will be considered an academic year.

Condition: Provided you have a valid study permit, fully enrolled as a student while taking this coop, have your coop declared in your transcripts with academic credits that contributes towards you getting the diploma.

For question two, you will be able to add that 1 month experience once you get your ITA. When filling your main PR application form after receiving your ITA, you will get to a section called personal history. Details of all activities in the last 10 years should be provided. Put this one month experience here.

I hope this helps?

Evident

Oct 30, 2018
You are welcome.

Just one last comment, I hope your 8 months canadian experience isn't from your coop term? Because that DEFINITELY wouldnt count as part of a Canadian work experience.

The work experience that should be counted must not come while you were fully enrolled as a student.

All the best.

mnayyar3

Dec 21, 2018
nope. that is from full time job. now i have worth of 14 months of full time job experience.

thank you so much for reminding me.