+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please Help: Should I send a webform for a minor issue?

bl2021

Jul 3, 2021
AOR Received.
15-06-2021
Hello Everyone,
I have submitted my Canadian Citizenship Application in March, 2021, and recently received AOR from CIC.

Question #1:
I filled Question 10 about address history based on the best knowledge of my memory (I lost old documents to check the accurate dates), so I answered that I lived in "Address B" (in Markham, Ontario) since March 4th, 2016 (this is the earliest date I could put dating back 5 years ago).
However today I found a copy of the IMM 5669E form that I submitted in Feb, 2018, and noticed that on the IMM 5669E, I answered that I lived in "Address A" (in Scarborough, Ontario) from 2013 till MARCH, 2016, and moved to "Address B" in April, 2016, not March. This conflicts with what I put in my citizenship application as I answered that I started living at Address B since March 4th, 2016.

I am having trouble figuring out which of these two timelines is correct, anyways, if CIC checks the old information I submitted in 2018, they would notice a mismatch.

I am worried if this would lead to "misrepresentation" or "document fraud" or "lying to CIC"? I really can't tell which of these two timelines is accurate, and lack information to prove which one is correct, all I could tell is that I moved from Address A to Address B during that time period.
I noticed that IMM 5669E form I submitted in 2018 only allowed me to fill to the closest month, so that kind of explain why I put March as Address A and April as Address B?

I am concerned whether if I should send a webform to CIC to explain this issues and correct my citizenship application to "lived in Address A since March 4th 2016 - March 31st 2016, moved to Address B since April 1st, 2016" (This is probably the best date I could put in this scenario to match with the IMM 5669E I filled in 2018). But at the same time I am worried that by putting these "inaccurate" dates would lead to further investigation, and finding out that the dates I put were not perfect.

If I were to send a webform, how should I write the letter so that it does not make the situation complicated? and let CIC know that I did not intentionally make such mistake? Would CIC require accurate dates? (I can't find out accurate dates). I did not pay bills or rents for both addresses so there are no legal/government documents to prove my stays. But my mailing address was always at Address B since 2012, even when I was physically living at Address A.

Another option for me is to just leave it, just let it pass in my mind. But would this mismatch lead to any problem? Has anyone ever encountered such situation? What does CIC usually do about mismatching historical information? Is this considered as a big issue?

Question #2:
I noticed that CIC sent AOR to my old email (that I used for my application of PR), but not to the email address I put on my citizenship application, is this normal? Does CIC always have my old email on file and would always contact me through that?

Thank you very much!

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hello Everyone,
I have submitted my Canadian Citizenship Application in March, 2021, and recently received AOR from CIC.

Question #1:
I filled Question 10 about address history based on the best knowledge of my memory (I lost old documents to check the accurate dates), so I answered that I lived in "Address B" (in Markham, Ontario) since March 4th, 2016 (this is the earliest date I could put dating back 5 years ago).
However today I found a copy of the IMM 5669E form that I submitted in Feb, 2018, and noticed that on the IMM 5669E, I answered that I lived in "Address A" (in Scarborough, Ontario) from 2013 till MARCH, 2016, and moved to "Address B" in April, 2016, not March. This conflicts with what I put in my citizenship application as I answered that I started living at Address B since March 4th, 2016.

I am having trouble figuring out which of these two timelines is correct, anyways, if CIC checks the old information I submitted in 2018, they would notice a mismatch.

I am worried if this would lead to "misrepresentation" or "document fraud" or "lying to CIC"? I really can't tell which of these two timelines is accurate, and lack information to prove which one is correct, all I could tell is that I moved from Address A to Address B during that time period.
I noticed that IMM 5669E form I submitted in 2018 only allowed me to fill to the closest month, so that kind of explain why I put March as Address A and April as Address B?

I am concerned whether if I should send a webform to CIC to explain this issues and correct my citizenship application to "lived in Address A since March 4th 2016 - March 31st 2016, moved to Address B since April 1st, 2016" (This is probably the best date I could put in this scenario to match with the IMM 5669E I filled in 2018). But at the same time I am worried that by putting these "inaccurate" dates would lead to further investigation, and finding out that the dates I put were not perfect.

If I were to send a webform, how should I write the letter so that it does not make the situation complicated? and let CIC know that I did not intentionally make such mistake? Would CIC require accurate dates? (I can't find out accurate dates). I did not pay bills or rents for both addresses so there are no legal/government documents to prove my stays. But my mailing address was always at Address B since 2012, even when I was physically living at Address A.

Another option for me is to just leave it, just let it pass in my mind. But would this mismatch lead to any problem? Has anyone ever encountered such situation? What does CIC usually do about mismatching historical information? Is this considered as a big issue?

Question #2:
I noticed that CIC sent AOR to my old email (that I used for my application of PR), but not to the email address I put on my citizenship application, is this normal? Does CIC always have my old email on file and would always contact me through that?

Thank you very much!
Question #1:

First and foremost, it is extremely unlikely that this will be considered misrepresentation. As long as both the addresses in question were inside Canada, this really isn't an issue IMO.

This is a minor error and people have trouble remembering dates from 5 years a go all the time. Don't worry too much about it. To set the record straight, you can send in a webform and correct this entry to the information that is already on their system. Just tell them that you had one date incorrectly reported on the address history in the citizenship application form and you wish to correct the entry. Provide them with something like this.

Current Entry : XX to YY ABC Address
Updated entry: UU to VV at III Address

Question #2:

This has happened a few times before, I think. In your webform, tell them that they've sent AOR to your old email and ask them to update it to your current email address.

Reactions: bellaluna

bl2021

Jul 3, 2021
AOR Received.
15-06-2021
Question #1:

First and foremost, it is extremely unlikely that this will be considered misrepresentation. As long as both the addresses in question were inside Canada, this really isn't an issue IMO.

This is a minor error and people have trouble remembering dates from 5 years a go all the time. Don't worry too much about it. To set the record straight, you can send in a webform and correct this entry to the information that is already on their system. Just tell them that you had one date incorrectly reported on the address history in the citizenship application form and you wish to correct the entry. Provide them with something like this.

Current Entry : XX to YY ABC Address
Updated entry: UU to VV at III Address

Question #2:

This has happened a few times before, I think. In your webform, tell them that they've sent AOR to your old email and ask them to update it to your current email address.

Thank you very much for your reply,
What would happen if I don't correct it? Would it affect my application? Would CIC notice this error and require more information from me?
I don't remember the correct dates so I don't know how to write the webform, I don't want to put dates that I can't even remember.

Thank you.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Thank you very much for your reply,
What would happen if I don't correct it? Would it affect my application? Would CIC notice this error and require more information from me?
I don't remember the correct dates so I don't know how to write the webform, I don't want to put dates that I can't even remember.

Thank you.
This is a minor issue and likely will not affect the processing of your application. As long as both those addresses were inside Canada, you should be fine even if you don't update it but that's just my opinion.

Reactions: bellaluna

bl2021

Jul 3, 2021
AOR Received.
15-06-2021
This is a minor issue and likely will not affect the processing of your application. As long as both those addresses were inside Canada, you should be fine even if you don't update it but that's just my opinion.
Thank you,
And I were to ask CIC to update my email address, what format should I write the web form in? Do I need to include an explanation or anything?
Thanks.

bl2021

Jul 3, 2021
AOR Received.
15-06-2021
Thank you,
And I were to ask CIC to update my email address, what format should I write the web form in? Do I need to include an explanation or anything?
Thanks.
And what drop downs should I select?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Thank you,
Thanks.
And what drop downs should I select?
The application type would be Citizenship > Citizenship grant application. Well, it is a simple request - "IRCC has sent AOR to my old email address that I used for my PR application. Please update the email address to XXX" or something on those lines.

bl2021

Jul 3, 2021
AOR Received.
15-06-2021
The application type would be Citizenship > Citizenship grant application. Well, it is a simple request - "IRCC has sent AOR to my old email address that I used for my PR application. Please update the email address to XXX" or something on those lines.
Thanks,
Also if I decide to leave Canada for awhile, am I required to inform CIC or is it just my choice? Would it cause a problem? Would they ask me about it during interview if I spent 0.5 or 1 year outside the country without informing them?
I still got a friend at my mailing address (in Canada) that’s checking my mail every week.
Thanks

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Thanks,
Also if I decide to leave Canada for awhile, am I required to inform CIC or is it just my choice? Would it cause a problem? Would they ask me about it during interview if I spent 0.5 or 1 year outside the country without informing them?
I still got a friend at my mailing address (in Canada) that’s checking my mail every week.
Thanks
According to the IRCC website, you'll have to report to them if you plan to leave Canada more than 2 weeks in a row.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/after-apply-next-steps.html

While we process your application, contact us if any information on your application changes or if you

Not sure how many people actually follow this. This might be a recent update as I don't recall seeing this last November/December when i had plans for a trip greater than 2 weeks.

bl2021

Jul 3, 2021
AOR Received.
15-06-2021
According to the IRCC website, you'll have to report to them if you plan to leave Canada more than 2 weeks in a row.

Not sure how many people actually follow this. This might be a recent update as I don't recall seeing this last November/December when i had plans for a trip greater than 2 weeks.
I see many posts of people saying you don’t have to, you are just recommended to do so.

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram