+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please help - Service Canada - weird phone call

jones89

Feb 6, 2015
Can someone please help me. I work in the office and got a phone call from Service Canada - I have positive LMIA- they said they wanted to verify some information, my old boss applied for LMIA for me, he has quit last year and I have a new boss now. They have asked me to fax them the official letter confirming that we have a new director and asked him to call too to confirm.

The person I spoke to gave me a fax number, I wrote it down quickly and realized the number was a bit weird, fax hasn't gone through so I googled the number - turns out it's a landline in Texas. I know that the phone call itself was for a fact from Service Canada because it was on our called ID.

I called them back, they dont know who the agent that originally called me is, couldnt provide any information but said that the LMIA might be under investigation as they do it a lot now.

What do I do? I dont want it to look like my company has ignored the request and we all get in trouble. But I have no way of finding out who called me, they havent given any ref number, employer's ID nor direct phone line.

kateg

Aug 26, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
IELTS Request
05-05-2015
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015
What's the area code of the FAX number? Did you by any chance transpose some digits?

jones89

Feb 6, 2015
kateg said:
What's the area code of the FAX number? Did you by any chance transpose some digits?
Area code 281 - Texas. No I didn't, I read it back to her. I have also googled all the digit combinations she has given me and nothing comes up with regards to Canada Service.

jemdill

Oct 20, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I dont think its a call from Service Canada. And the number wont tell you its from Texas.
You dont need to to know the agent's name who called you. But you can call the actual service Canada number and they should be able to know if your LIMA is under investigation or not.

There was an incident which was reported on BC Immigration Facebook page (also my lawyer told me).
there are a lots of fraud calls going on and someone got call asking they found something illegal on his status and he needs to pay $1500 immediately otherwise he will get deported, and he contacted BC immi. dept and they advised not to pay and they wont call people like that.

So call Service Canada again and ask them if there is any issue with your status.

Goku

VIP Member
Jan 13, 2014
Category........
jemdill said:
I dont think its a call from Service Canada. And the number wont tell you its from Texas.
You dont need to to know the agent's name who called you. But you can call the actual service Canada number and they should be able to know if your LIMA is under investigation or not.

There was an incident which was reported on BC Immigration Facebook page (also my lawyer told me).
there are a lots of fraud calls going on and someone got call asking they found something illegal on his status and he needs to pay $1500 immediately otherwise he will get deported, and he contacted BC immi. dept and they advised not to pay and they wont call people like that.

So call Service Canada again and ask them if there is any issue with your status.
Second that.

jones89

Feb 6, 2015
jemdill said:

It was from Service Canada - it showed on my caller ID- they wanted to speak to my boss, not to me. The phone number they left was a general number for Service Canada.

I called SC and then my boss did too, they werent able to verify anything about my application. They said it might be under investigation but they wouldnt know as only the officer who made a phone call would know.

noesis

May 26, 2015
Canadian Area Codes

Area code 204 Manitoba
Area code 226 Ontario
Area code 236 British Columbia
Area code 249 Ontario
Area code 250 British Columbia
Area code 289 Ontario
Area code 306 Saskatchewan
Area code 343 Ontario
Area code 365 Ontario
Area code 403 Alberta
Area code 416 Ontario
Area code 418 Quebec
Area code 431 Manitoba
Area code 437 Ontario
Area code 438 Quebec
Area code 450 Quebec
Area code 506 New Brunswick
Area code 514 Quebec
Area code 519 Ontario
Area code 579 Quebec
Area code 581 Quebec
Area code 587 Alberta
Area code 604 British Columbia
Area code 613 Ontario
Area code 639 Saskatchewan
Area code 647 Ontario
Area code 705 Ontario
Area code 709 Newfoundland
Area code 778 British Columbia
Area code 780 Alberta
Area code 807 Ontario
Area code 819 Quebec
Area code 867 Northwest Territories, Nunavut, Yukon
Area code 873 Quebec
Area code 902 Nova Scotia
Area code 905 Ontario

the closest I can see is 581, if you're sure about the last 7 digits, try googling the number with each of these codes till you hit a Service Canada page...? If not, give CIC/SC a call saying you were asked to send in a fax but you took the number down wrong, could they please confirm and give them the last seven digits.