+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PLEASE HELP! - Renewing PR Card With Expired Passport?

Dhairya7790

Mar 10, 2015
My passport from country of origin expired last year and my PR card needs to be renewed this year since it expires in July'21. Unfortunately left in this situation, as I had applied for citizenship in July'19, hoping to get it done by early 2021 :(

Can I renew PR card with the expired passport? (Same passport was used for my first entry to Canada).

It says in the CIC website that documents needed are valid passport or travel documents or if not available then passport with the entry stamp or travel document(which I'm not sure if it meant that its okay even if its expired).

Please advise or if anyone had experience renewing PR card with an expired passport. Or if I should renew the passport first?(Takes 2-4 months)

Thanks!

Last edited:

RJ2020

Oct 29, 2020
My passport from country of origin expired last year and my PR card needs to be renewed this year since it expires in July'21. Unfortunately left in this situation, as I had applied for citizenship in July'19, hoping to get it done by early 2021 :(

Can I renew PR card with the expired passport? (Same passport was used for my first entry to Canada).

It says in the CIC website that documents needed are valid passport or travel documents or if not available then passport with the entry stamp or travel document(which I'm not sure if it meant that its okay even if its expired).

Please advise or if anyone had experience renewing PR card with an expired passport. Or if I should renew the passport first?(Takes 2-4 months)

Thanks!
Hi,

You do not need a valid passport to renew your PR card. If your current passport is expired, just send a clear copy of the passport you used to land at the time you became PR. Preferably, send a clear copy of the page which was stamped when you entered Canada (the entry stamp) and became PR in addition to the copy of all biographical pages of your expired passport. If I was in your shoes, I would send a copy of all passport pages to be safe (I know that it's not mandatory), and would even translate the stamps (If not in English. If your stamps are English, you're fine.)

As IRCC clearly states:

"A photocopy of one of the following:
  • your valid passport or travel document or
  • the passport or travel document you had when you became a permanent resident (if applicable, include the passport page that was stamped when you arrived in Canada and became a permanent resident) or
  • the certificate of identity or travel document issued by the Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada or a foreign country."
So don't worry. You're good!

However, I know that the copy of confirmation of permanent residency paper is not required to be included in PR renewal application, but in your case, I would strongly recommend to include a copy of the confirmation of permanent residency paper. I mean, better to be safe than sorry!

Dhairya7790

Mar 10, 2015
Hi,

You do not need a valid passport to renew your PR card. If your current passport is expired, just send a clear copy of the passport you used to land at the time you became PR. Preferably, send a clear copy of the page which was stamped when you entered Canada (the entry stamp) and became PR in addition to the copy of all biographical pages of your expired passport. If I was in your shoes, I would send a copy of all passport pages to be safe (I know that it's not mandatory), and would even translate the stamps (If not in English. If your stamps are English, you're fine.)

As IRCC clearly states:

• the passport or travel document you had when you became a permanent resident (if applicable, include the passport page that was stamped when you arrived in Canada and became a permanent resident) or
  • the certificate of identity or travel document issued by the Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada or a foreign country."

However, I know that the copy of confirmation of permanent residency paper is not required to be included in PR renewal application, but in your case, I would strongly recommend to include a copy of the confirmation of permanent residency paper. I mean, better to be safe than sorry!
Thank you for sharing the information! I totally agree with you and will do as advised for PR card renewal.

Furthermore, I called CIC and they advised me to renew my passport as well, if I plan to travel in October since there is no guarantee if I will receive my Canadian passport by then.

Hopefully it all goes well in a timely manner!

Toronto1971

Dec 23, 2021
Hi,

As IRCC clearly states:

I renewed my pr card with expired passport, successfully after 72 days.
Copy of expired passport
The copy of the page sized from IRCC the first day you claimed refugee or landed as refugee in the airport
ID or Driving License valid ( copy) & the application filled

Reactions: thejammy

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I renewed my pr card with expired passport, successfully after 72 days.
Copy of expired passport
The copy of the page sized from IRCC the first day you claimed refugee or landed as refugee in the airport
ID or Driving License valid ( copy) & the application filled
This is only possible if you are a protected person so can’t renew your passport or risk reavailment.

Fic78

Feb 13, 2023

Thanks!
Can you please answer what docs you used to file your PR card renewal? And were you able to get your renewed pr card?

Pitaklan

Mar 21, 2024
Toronto

Thanks!
Hi were you successfully renewed your pr card?

Feb 5, 2024
Afghanistan
Category........
WP
Visa Office......
J1 Stu
NOC Code......
+93
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes