+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please help! Proving 1 year of skilled work experience at partner's company

mau123

Nov 16, 2018
Hey all,

I'm filling out my application and need your help.

Situation. My partner and I are applying for PR under Canadian Experience Class. I'm also claiming 1 year of foreign work experience that I got at my partner's company. (We are both applying under same application; I'm primary applicant).

He wrote a reference letter for me + I have attached his business card. In the reference letter we included company's registration code, address, duties, salary, benefits, etc. However, we never had physical offices, worked from home and travelled a lot. It's a web development company. I was paid from company's bank account via bank. Question: Will only attaching a reference letter from my partner who is also applying for PR under same application will be enough to prove this experience?

I'm thinking of including:
  • a reference letter with all required details signed by my partner (as he owns the company; and acts as a managing director)
  • his business card
  • bank statements (for a period of 1 year, showing that I was paid legally via bank from company's bank account)
  • Tax refunds (Documents from my government showing I declared taxes, also shows I worked full-time for my partner's company)
  • a letter from a person who is a director of an accountancy company that was hired by my partner's company to take care of his company's finances & accountancy.
Will these documents be enough to prove that I really performed duties and that my job experience is valid? I know it would not be a problem, but since my partner is the owner and he is also applying with me under same application immigration officer might ask additional questions.

Just want to make my application as strong as possible. PLEASE advice, especially seniors and those you have declared experiences from family businesses. THANKS!

mau123

Nov 16, 2018
Hey all,

Situation. My partner and I are applying for PR under Canadian Experience Class. I'm also claiming 1 year of foreign work experience that I got at my partner's company. (We are both applying under same application; I'm primary applicant).

He wrote a reference letter for me + I have attached his business card. In the reference letter we included company's registration code, address, duties, salary, benefits, etc. However, we never had physical offices, worked from home and travelled a lot. It's a web development company. I was paid from company's bank account via bank. Question: Will only attaching a reference letter from my partner who is also applying for PR under same application will be enough to prove this experience?

• a reference letter with all required details signed by my partner (as he owns the company; and acts as a managing director)
  • his business card
  • bank statements (for a period of 1 year, showing that I was paid legally via bank from company's bank account)
  • Tax refunds (Documents from my government showing I declared taxes, also shows I worked full-time for my partner's company)
  • a letter from a person who is a director of an accountancy company that was hired by my partner's company to take care of his company's finances & accountancy.
Will these documents be enough to prove that I really performed duties and that my job experience is valid? I know it would not be a problem, but since my partner is the owner and he is also applying with me under same application immigration officer might ask additional questions.

Just want to make my application as strong as possible. PLEASE advice, especially seniors and those you have declared experiences from family businesses. THANKS!

Anyone? Would appreciate advice.

mau123

Nov 16, 2018
There is quite a conflict of interest in your situation. Are you the only two working at the company?

Hey. Initially, company had 4 employees, After a year or so we have moved to Canada on working holiday visas so my partner restructured the company, so that all work is contracted. So at the moment, there are no employees but the company is still active and generating revenue.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hey all,

• his business card
I would leave out the bank statements, since you have the tax documents and the accountant's letter. The only other thing I would suggest (similar to as if you were self-employed) would be to get a letter from a (former) co-worker and/or a client that describes the work you did for them (focus on the job duties and responsibilities, since you have the financial records).

mau123

Nov 16, 2018
I would leave out the bank statements, since you have the tax documents and the accountant's letter. The only other thing I would suggest (similar to as if you were self-employed) would be to get a letter from a (former) co-worker and/or a client that describes the work you did for them (focus on the job duties and responsibilities, since you have the financial records).
Thank you so much for replying! I will try to contact one person who used to work as a regular employee and now my partner contracts him (since company has been restructured). Also, do we have to notarize letters provided by the accountant and a former coworker? If yes, how do we do it in Canada? The accountant provided letter in our native language and we used professional translator to translate it to English, it's also stamped with a signature of a translator.

As for the tax documents, I will include original documents (signed by a government employee) and a translated version stamped and signed by a professional translator. Do I have to get them notarized too?

Just want to make sure everything is done as correctly as possible.

Again, thank you for tips!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You need to provide proof of what kind of work you did during the 1 year period. Previous employees will not help.

mau123

Nov 16, 2018
You need to provide proof of what kind of work you did during the 1 year period. Previous employees will not help.
Well, I have an employment reference letter provided by my partner with clear duties (that's what immigration asks). As my partner was my employer, I'm trying to add additional documents. How else can I prove the work I did besides asking former employee and accountant to write letters explaining how hey interacted with me. My job title was - Project Manager. So, I could ask a former employee who is a web developer writer a letter explaining how he interacted with me in terms of work. For example, one of my duties was to update client management system (add new client requests, etc) so that development team could see what needs to be done. Also, we used to have briefing calls with clients via Skype. And that specific employee was present during calls. My role was to write project proposals, lead those discussions with clients, plan timelines of web projects, etc. How else can I prove besides asking those people too pretty much be witnesses?

If my employer wasn't my partner that would be enough...

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Well, I have an employment reference letter provided by my partner with clear duties (that's what immigration asks). As my partner was my employer, I'm trying to add additional documents. How else can I prove the work I did besides asking former employee and accountant to write letters explaining how hey interacted with me. My job title was - Project Manager. So, I could ask a former employee who is a web developer writer a letter explaining how he interacted with me in terms of work. For example, one of my duties was to update client management system (add new client requests, etc) so that development team could see what needs to be done. Also, we used to have briefing calls with clients via Skype. And that specific employee was present during calls. My role was to write project proposals, lead those discussions with clients, plan timelines of web projects, etc. How else can I prove besides asking those people too pretty much be witnesses?

If my employer wasn't my partner that would be enough...
You need to find clients who worked with you during the year you are claiming for CEC. If you ask previous employees they will be describing your role at a different time period. Although it could be the same as your current situation both the previous employee and CIC needs proof. This is one of the reasons that working for a partner in a 2 person company is not a great idea to use to secure immigration for the both of you. Too late but in case anyone else is reading this.

mau123

Nov 16, 2018
You need to find clients who worked with you during the year you are claiming for CEC. If you ask previous employees they will be describing your role at a different time period. Although it could be the same as your current situation both the previous employee and CIC needs proof. This is one of the reasons that working for a partner in a 2 person company is not a great idea to use to secure immigration for the both of you. Too late but in case anyone else is reading this.
Thanks! But my Canadian Experience is from a completely different employer here in Canada. All this buzz is about getting points for my FOREIGN work experience that came way before Canadian work experience...

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks! But my Canadian Experience is from a completely different employer here in Canada. All this buzz is about getting points for my FOREIGN work experience that came way before Canadian work experience...
Oh that is very different then.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Thank you so much for replying! I will try to contact one person who used to work as a regular employee and now my partner contracts him (since company has been restructured). Also, do we have to notarize letters provided by the accountant and a former coworker? If yes, how do we do it in Canada? The accountant provided letter in our native language and we used professional translator to translate it to English, it's also stamped with a signature of a translator.

As for the tax documents, I will include original documents (signed by a government employee) and a translated version stamped and signed by a professional translator. Do I have to get them notarized too?

Just want to make sure everything is done as correctly as possible.
You do not need to get any documents notarized, however you do need certified translations.