+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please HELP! PR Landing Completed But...

WilsonC

Nov 21, 2017
Hi Everyone,

My wife received her PR Landing in May, 2019
She and I left Canada in July, 2019

I moved back to Hong Kong to work. My wife is coming along with me.
During the stay in Hong Kong, will Canada count 730 Days for her PR Renewal Status or 3 Years Stay to Apply for Citizenship?

Or my wife must stay in Canada regardless if I'm working in Hong Kong or not.

Thank you~

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hi Everyone,

My wife received her PR Landing in May, 2019
She and I left Canada in July, 2019

I moved back to Hong Kong to work. My wife is coming along with me.
During the stay in Hong Kong, will Canada count 730 Days for her PR Renewal Status or 3 Years Stay to Apply for Citizenship?

Or my wife must stay in Canada regardless if I'm working in Hong Kong or not.

Thank you~
Assuming you are a Canadian citizen, and your PR partner is accompanying you abroad, the PR partner will get credit toward complying with the Residency Obligation for the time you are LIVING TOGETHER abroad. (This sort of law is always subject to changes, so best to follow this for as long as you are abroad together.)

A PR abroad will NOT get credit toward meeting the presence requirements for citizenship.

WilsonC

Nov 21, 2017
Assuming you are a Canadian citizen, and your PR partner is accompanying you abroad, the PR partner will get credit toward complying with the Residency Obligation for the time you are LIVING TOGETHER abroad. (This sort of law is always subject to changes, so best to follow this for as long as you are abroad together.)

A PR abroad will NOT get credit toward meeting the presence requirements for citizenship.
Thank you for your prompt reply. May I rephrase what you said?

Yes, I am Canadian Citizen. Now looking for a job in Hong Kong. My PR partner is here with me in Hong Kong.

So as long as we are staying together in Hong Kong, it will count the days towards renewing PR?
But it does not credit towards to her Citizenship Application. She must stay in Canada for three years.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So as long as we are staying together in Hong Kong, it will count the days towards renewing PR?
But it does not credit towards to her Citizenship Application. She must stay in Canada for three years.
Correct.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you for your prompt reply. May I rephrase what you said?

Yes, I am Canadian Citizen. Now looking for a job in Hong Kong. My PR partner is here with me in Hong Kong.

Attention if you are just "looking for a job" there, then those days will not be counted unless you have a valid reason to stay there (for example found a job and start working). If that period will be a short one that should not make her any problem. If however you will be searching a lot with lot of on and off you might run into problems when counting days.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Attention if you are just "looking for a job" there, then those days will not be counted unless you have a valid reason to stay there (for example found a job and start working). If that period will be a short one that should not make her any problem. If however you will be searching a lot with lot of on and off you might run into problems when counting days.
The days will still be counted.